How do you make your railway go down?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Avezo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

How do you make your railway go down?

Post by Avezo »

Which branching do you prefer to go down and why? Are there objective benefits or disadvantages to either?

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: How do you make your railway go down?

Post by Jap2.0 »

The left takes up less space and (theoretially) might involve the train spending less time blocking the tracks, although it would block more at a time.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by zOldBulldog »

I changed my email designs to minimize crossing tracks. So, in your example I would only enter/exit from the outer track, and any movement between tracks would happen through lane changers that if possible are not crammed together.

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

zOldBulldog wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:32 am
I changed my email designs to minimize crossing tracks. So, in your example I would only enter/exit from the outer track, and any movement between tracks would happen through lane changers that if possible are not crammed together.
This. I've found that making JUST enough lane changers to get everybody everywhere they need to go, no more no less, is the way to go.

Both of your examples (OP) could lead to deadlocks if you don't totally block off the whole section whenever anybody is in there, which throws away any speed gain you'd get over just making sure the trains turning south were alredy on that far southern track.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

In the right case you can make all crossings lane changers so it has a dual purpose.

Next I would make different ways of going down. Every station can go down form the lowest track. Every even station can go down from the second lowest track. Every fourth station can go down from the third lowest track.

Same idea for going up. And have less signals on the top lanes than the bottom. So trains going small distances stay on the bottom lanes (because they must to go down at the right spot) while trains going long distances switch to the upper lanes (because less signals makes that cheaper).

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vanatteveldt »

And have less signals on the top lanes than the bottom [so] trains going long distances switch to the upper lanes (because less signals makes that cheaper).
Cool, I didn't know that. Does that actually work (reliably)? Do you know the penalty for signals?

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

vanatteveldt wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:01 pm
And have less signals on the top lanes than the bottom [so] trains going long distances switch to the upper lanes (because less signals makes that cheaper).
Cool, I didn't know that. Does that actually work (reliably)? Do you know the penalty for signals?
I have no idea what the actual penalty numbers are but it was mentioned a few times in other posts that such penalties exist. Note that red signals are more expensive than green ones. So if there already is a train on the top lane when the train is path finding then staying in a lower lane can be cheaper.

I've only tested this with two lanes so far and trains seem to use both lanes.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

mrvn wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:51 pm
vanatteveldt wrote:
I have no idea what the actual penalty numbers are but it was mentioned a few times in other posts that such penalties exist. Note that red signals are more expensive than green ones. So if there already is a train on the top lane when the train is path finding then staying in a lower lane can be cheaper.

Green signals as such don't have penalties. You can look up the numbers on the wiki or in the respective lua files.

Code: Select all

train_path_finding =
    {
      train_stop_penalty = 2000,
      stopped_manually_controlled_train_penalty = 2000,
      stopped_manually_controlled_train_without_passenger_penalty = 7000,
      signal_reserved_by_circuit_network_penalty = 1000,
      train_in_station_penalty = 500,
      train_in_station_with_no_other_valid_stops_in_schedule = 1000,
      train_arriving_to_station_penalty = 100,
      train_arriving_to_signal_penalty = 100,
      train_waiting_at_signal_penalty = 100,
      train_waiting_at_signal_tick_multiplier_penalty = 0.1,
      train_with_no_path_penalty = 1000
    },
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

eradicator wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:09 pm
mrvn wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:51 pm
vanatteveldt wrote:

Green signals as such don't have penalties. You can look up the numbers on the wiki or in the respective lua files.

Code: Select all

train_path_finding =
    {
      train_stop_penalty = 2000,
      stopped_manually_controlled_train_penalty = 2000,
      stopped_manually_controlled_train_without_passenger_penalty = 7000,
      signal_reserved_by_circuit_network_penalty = 1000,
      train_in_station_penalty = 500,
      train_in_station_with_no_other_valid_stops_in_schedule = 1000,
      train_arriving_to_station_penalty = 100,
      train_arriving_to_signal_penalty = 100,
      train_waiting_at_signal_penalty = 100,
      train_waiting_at_signal_tick_multiplier_penalty = 0.1,
      train_with_no_path_penalty = 1000
    },
Must be the train_arriving_to_signal_penalty then that makes trains switch to the fast lane.

zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by zOldBulldog »

This thread started so simple, but it is really starting to touch so e interesting rail design considerations. Cool.

Return to “General discussion”