A new challenge, if you're looking for one...

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
evopwr
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

A new challenge, if you're looking for one...

Post by evopwr »

Most people rely heavily on either belts to move stuff around in the main factory, or LogiBots.
I've never been a logibot fan, so i've always used belts - typically using the "bus" approach, which i'm sure a great many other people do as well.

Now, i'm not suggesting this is by any means original - but I was sick of "bus belts", especially doing a more advanced Angels/Bobs mix (the bus gets craaazy wide!), and not wanting to do LogiBots, I had an idea to use trains to move everything around. My only previous experiences were always just using trains for outposts.

My challenge was to not use streams of belts, and zero LogiBots for factory purposes (supplying my self things was the exception). Also, no cheat sheets, like web pages that do calculations on "how many assemblers for each item". Purely based on experience, and trial and error. And of course, do an advanced (almost) all Bobs Mods. Decided not to bother with biters for a change.

Before I started, I decided to create zones, perimitered by tracks, with internal input and output tracks for that zone. Each zone is avg size, about 3x3 chunks, enough to have a bit of room to grow, or achieve 2-4 outputs for lesser demanded outputs. eg, a zone may have Inputs: Alum Ore, Sodium Hydroxide, Carbon, Gold Plates, and plastic, and have 3 outputs: Alumina, Aluminium Plate, and Module Case.

Trains look after all the transfers between inputs and outputs. I think i'm nearly at 500 train stations, and finally about to launch my first rocket lol.

Its quite enjoyable watching all the trains wizzing around, responding to requests.

Anyway, just thought i'd share, in case someone is looking for something a bit different.
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (3.56 MiB) Viewed 1931 times

Gergely
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: A new challenge, if you're looking for one...

Post by Gergely »

Hmmm...

Can you (or anyone) define the challenge more precisely?

evopwr
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by evopwr »

I do apologize, i shouldnt havent used the Challenge word.

I was just offering alternative approaches for those who are seeking something "next" to try.

A lot of people play the first time through, and its a spaghetti mess. They play again, and often lean towards bots or bus, or both where applicable. Then maybe they try mods.

I was just suggesting after they do all the above, and are looking for something else, they could try a train-only approach.

I've really enjoyed this play through. Loving the new challenge, of managing a massive train network (100+ trains). And its quite rewarding seeing them wizzing around everywhere, responding to newly opened stations (requesters).
Although, I have died from trains 10 times more on this play through, than all others combined, lol

BUT, If your looking for something new to try.... (not a challenge per se)

I can offer the rules i gave myself, and you chose want you want to do:
- Firstly, all Bobs mods, RSO, and Angels Infinite Ores, and Silos (but not refining - was too OTT for me).
- objective is to have as many trains as possible, to transport all items throught the base.
- this means no Log Bots, except to supply myself with stuff.
- to enforce adherence to above rule, i decided to create a BP that created "an area", that had input and output tracks, and if I cant fit whatever I am doing inside said area, then I need to split in 2 areas and use trains, as opposed to cheating myself and making said area bigger.
- eg, i had to adhere to BP attached below, and nothing may enter or leave the area except by train. Including ores, water, oil etc. everything must be by train.
- its up to you whether you use the BP, its just the one i'm using...
- no real objective. My aim is to ramp up rocket launches, and see how hard I can stress the design, and whether I can get towards 1 rocket per min. Not sure i'll get there or not, time will tell. Really comes down to how good your train design is I think.

Remember, my main objective is not to achieve maximum rockets/sec. Its all about the trains.
This is my 9th? 10th? play, and I have 1-2 other "1 rocket per minute" bases.
This is just for fun to do something different.

And hence my post, because i've actually enjoyed this play a lot, as its very different to all the others i've done - i kind of feel like i'm playing a new game. Very satisfying. (omg i almost typed satisfactory, my bad!)

zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by zOldBulldog »

Interesting, and this seems related to what you were describing to me on the other thread.

Something you might want to look at: nilaus has a very cool rocket module in his Modular Megabase series. It would fit this extremely well. I think the final version of his design is in episode 19, although he explains his thinking in depth in earlier episodes.

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

I have the opposite problem, I tend to build my factories as separate sections connected by rail. The challenge for me would be to not use trains at all, or to only use them for the rawest of materials. :D

Return to “General discussion”