Do the Default map gen settings generate cliffs?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
happyrobot33
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Do the Default map gen settings generate cliffs?

Post by happyrobot33 »

in all my playthroughs of .16 i havent seen a single cliff. can anyone explain this to me?
do or do not there is no try

Steam Account:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Happyrobot33/

Mods I'm working on:
•SuperComputer

Bauer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Do the Default map gen settings generate cliffs?

Post by Bauer »

I think the answer is obious:

Cliffs look awesome... yet they are a pain in the ass.

I loved them on my first .16 map. However, if you want to do some serious Factorio stuff, they incommodate whatever you are trying to achieve. If they had a benefit other than looking good I would consider trying to integrate them. Looks wear off.
Possible benefits could be help with defence, or mining of stone (like a quarry), or povide an entrance to infinit underground mining of coal, or buildings in proximity have reduced energy need, or...? Be creative!

It wouldn't be enough to introduce a fully automated way to get rid of them, e.g. bots throwing cliff explosives when you plug down a blue print similar to the removal of trees).

zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by zOldBulldog »

I think that two small changes would make cliffs much more worthwhile:

1) Reduce cliff explosives to red science and make them easy and cheap to make.

2) Instead of scattered bits of cliff, make the generator produce long continuous cliffs that are follow either a North/south or east/west general direction.

Then we could actually use them for defense (as they were advertised) and it would be easy to work with them if the are placed in undesirable locations.

happyrobot33
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by happyrobot33 »

zOldBulldog wrote:I think that two small changes would make cliffs much more worthwhile:

1) Reduce cliff explosives to red science and make them easy and cheap to make.

2) Instead of scattered bits of cliff, make the generator produce long continuous cliffs that are follow either a North/south or east/west general direction.

Then we could actually use them for defense (as they were advertised) and it would be easy to work with them if the are placed in undesirable locations.
Bauer wrote:I think the answer is obious:

Cliffs look awesome... yet they are a pain in the ass.

I loved them on my first .16 map. However, if you want to do some serious Factorio stuff, they incommodate whatever you are trying to achieve. If they had a benefit other than looking good I would consider trying to integrate them. Looks wear off.
Possible benefits could be help with defence, or mining of stone (like a quarry), or povide an entrance to infinit underground mining of coal, or buildings in proximity have reduced energy need, or...? Be creative!

It wouldn't be enough to introduce a fully automated way to get rid of them, e.g. bots throwing cliff explosives when you plug down a blue print similar to the removal of trees).
I mean they dont seem to generate on my maps. im always using default settings
do or do not there is no try

Steam Account:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Happyrobot33/

Mods I'm working on:
•SuperComputer

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Bilka »

happyrobot33 wrote:I mean they dont seem to generate on my maps. im always using default settings
That's a bug, sometimes they spawn, sometimes they don't: 54664
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

Return to “General discussion”