Inserters Belt Placement location

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
viveks711
Inserter
Inserter

Inserters Belt Placement location

Post by viveks711 »

Did the direction of items placed in the belt change a few versions back? I've not played Factorio in a few months and when I opened my last saved game, it looks like things have changed.

My bottom inserters place the items to the left of the belt.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Inserters Belt Placement location

Post by steinio »

Well... Yes.
I guessed I made a mistake in design as I tried to build a similiar setup from memory but was disappointed as it has not worked out.

In my imagnation i expected both lanes filled - like you.

So what's going on here?

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

JimBarracus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JimBarracus »

You mirrored the balancer layout
the setup on top is not the same like on the bottom.

You need to move the belts to the left and feed them from the right side.

Durentis
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Durentis »

As JimBarracus mentioned, you typically can't mirror inserter designs but have to rotate them instead. They output to their right, which below your train means outputting to what you're calling the left side of the belt. Curve in from the other side and it'll work fine.

I also noticed that you're trying to output into splitters. This doesn't actually work as you expect because the inserters drop the item just beyond the splitter component and onto the basic belt. In order to insert onto a splitter, the splitter needs to be aligned lengthwise with the inserter so that the inserter drops the item between both sides of the splitter. You can actually get a faster unload with this trick: 2 blue belts per side unloader.

The splitter groups on the output lines just past the station don't actually balance the lanes. If you want that, have a look at the balancers in the wiki or find a blueprint book with the different combinations.

And one last thing. If you want trains to enter your station faster after one starts to leave, put a basic rail signal between each wagon and locomotive. As the back of the train passes a signal, it frees up room for another train to start accelerating into the station. You can get very quick cycle times this way with trains waiting in a stacker.

DerGraue
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by DerGraue »

The behavior of items placed on the belt was indeed changed in 0.16.46 to behave consistently if inserters are rotated.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=60653

So in previous versions you actually "had" to mirror a blueprint in some cases for it to work, now you can just rotate and it will always work just fine.

viveks711
Inserter
Inserter

Post by viveks711 »

Thank You, That is what I wanted to know. Now I know which stations needs to be updated.
DerGraue wrote:The behavior of items placed on the belt was indeed changed in 0.16.46 to behave consistently if inserters are rotated.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=60653

So in previous versions you actually "had" to mirror a blueprint in some cases for it to work, now you can just rotate and it will always work just fine.

Return to “General discussion”