Game+ in Factorio?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.

Should we have Game+ in Factorio?

Yes! I need my robots and armor when starting all over on a new map.
18%
Yes! I need a free hand to decide what to have when starting over, including goods, tech, equipment, etc. (incl. from mods).
18%
Yes! But only limited vanilla options.
9%
No! Having robots early on is breaking the story.
5%
No! Going through the tech tree every time is part of the fun.
50%

Total votes: 22

lacika2000
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Game+ in Factorio?

Post by lacika2000 »

Having played some console games, I was wondering: why don’t we have a Game+ feature in Factorio?

For those not familiar with the Game+ idea, very briefly: it is typically added for replaying the game with some (or all) achievements or unlockable item and gear available to the player from the start, after successfully finishing the game.

In Factorio terms this would involve being able to select what armor and equipment you want to become part of the replay (think about having a gun, ammo, selected items/resources in your inventory and, YES!, robots).

I guess, just like in other games, one would want to make the Game+ feature conditional to some major achievement, like launching a rocket or something equally challenging (for example production level achievmentsj, but not too hard, so it can succesfully promote replaying the game again and again.

So what do you think about such a feature in Factorio? Would it help to get through the initial grind when starting on a new map or would it break the immersion of the story of being stranded on a planet without much but just barely enough material to make a pick axe and some basic stuff?

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Game+ in Factorio?

Post by Koub »

I'll say "No, because I hate the Game+ trend". But it's also "No, what's the point in adding a New Game+ in a sandbox game, where there is no end as long as you don't decide it" or "No, New Game+ won't add anything a mod can't add, so better use mods for replayability".
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by zOldBulldog »

I truly hate the repetitive manual tasks of the early game.

Although it doesn't matter once you are done with Achievements, as by that point you can either just expand one of your games or use mods to eliminate the tedium, it takes several hundred hours to get to that point.

So I totally vote for Game+. At the very least it should be an option that players can choose.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

The new game+ mode could be implemented by launching yourself in a rocket to crashland somewhere else, but keeping whatever armour you have equipped and whatever items you have in your inventory. Bring a few stacks of plates, circuits, solar panels, accumulators, science flasks etc, and you can quickly start a new base, get some basic research done and skip the burner phase. I think there might even be some mods out there that do that. (Certainly mods can give you that sort of starting equipment).

zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by zOldBulldog »

Zavian wrote:The new game+ mode could be implemented by launching yourself in a rocket to crashland somewhere else, but keeping whatever armour you have equipped and whatever items you have in your inventory. Bring a few stacks of plates, circuits, solar panels, accumulators, science flasks etc, and you can quickly start a new base, get some basic research done and skip the burner phase. I think there might even be some mods out there that do that. (Certainly mods can give you that sort of starting equipment).
Or better yet, you don't crash. Instead the initial planet lacked resources needed for long range interstellar travel, so you collect them by sending rockets to other planets. And establishing bases there.

nosports
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nosports »

for me game+ mod only makes sense if you add some research after the Rocket to leave the planet (ie SpaceScience) just to leave with an much big computer to store all the information.

But the new Crash needs to be a map which need to be defentively harder to play ( ie. more aggresive biters, a more harder landscape ( more water, less resources and so on), best with a new environment so that it will basically a following level to the first map.

After all if you want to keep all your resources you can continue the current map.
You can beak down your factory and rebuild or even heading way out to new frontiers and then build a new with the existing research.

So in my opinion its something which can be nice to have, but don't really a pressing need to the game and i support Kuob here
so no option here for me to choose from ;)

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

I was thinking about a mod that would look in the Blueprint library for a specific blueprint and then either build the blueprint on the new map or place all the items for the blueprint in wreckage from the crash.

That way it would be easy to configure what to have from the start: start a sandbox, place everything you want to have from the start down, make a blueprint and set the name.

Escadin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Escadin »

Remember that campaign level where you produce a bunch of ammo and weapons and stockpile some raw materials so you'll have a stock to live on during the next level? There were even blueprints which allowed to skip research if I remember correctly. Not blueprints like the ones we have for easy construction but a consumable item which if used unlocks a technology from the tech tree.

I think that was awesome and could add a nice touch to Factorio. Wrapping up the transition between levels like this.

Imagine we could select a handful of items and blueprints we want to take with us (difficult choice!) and then crash a shitty plane on a new map which can be scrapped for some extra starting material. The plane could even act as a battery to provide some very very early game electricity for coal inserters. Once it's drained you can scrap it.

Which items and blueprints would you select?
Modular armor and a couple of bots duh, but what else? Advanced OIl processing? Nuclear Power? A submachine gun with a full clip uranium ammo?
"--? How are commands compounded in a compounded compound command commanding compound composts." -defines.lua

FrodoOf9Fingers
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by FrodoOf9Fingers »

Theres already a mod for this. I've used it.

While thr idea is good, so is not having it, and so whatever the devs decide is good for me.

mergele
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by mergele »

I fail to see the point.

quinor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by quinor »

I'd like there to be an optional scenario that becomes available in vanilla after launching a rocket where you'd start with robots and a bunch of stuff like belts AMs inserters to skip the early phase.

1) optional
2) locked behind launching a rocket
3) personal robots

are the key features for me.

Would be fixed amount so that you don't have to grind 100000 rockets to get super quick start.

epr
Inserter
Inserter

Post by epr »

Koub wrote:I'll say "No, because I hate the Game+ trend".
What are you talking about? There are maybe 3 games in total that even have something like that.

I vote yes, since I find the early game just annoying.

thedarkbunny
Inserter
Inserter

Post by thedarkbunny »

epr wrote:
What are you talking about? There are maybe 3 games in total that even have something like that.
TVTropes can think of about a hundred.

For what it's worth, I'd like to see something like one of the following:

- A "genesis device" technology that, when placed, destroys all entities and unmaps/regenerates all chunks. Effectively a game reset, but players keep their inventory, equipment, and researched techs.
- Enter the rocket, launch yourself, and the game sets you down on a new planet with wildly different starting conditions.
- Launching the rocket unlocks a "custom start" scenario where you can choose your starting equipment and/or techs in addition to the usual map settings.

Selvek
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Selvek »

Even if the devs introduced this feature, nobody would agree about how much stuff should be available. Fortunately, this game already has a feature which allows you to customize its every aspect... mods!

Escadin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Escadin »

thedarkbunny wrote:
epr wrote:
Zelda, Mega Man, Baldur's Gate, Plants vs Zombies... Man that is one long-winded "trend" we have nowadays. :mrgreen:
"--? How are commands compounded in a compounded compound command commanding compound composts." -defines.lua

zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by zOldBulldog »

Escadin wrote:
thedarkbunny wrote:
epr wrote:
Zelda, Mega Man, Baldur's Gate, Plants vs Zombies... Man that is one long-winded "trend" we have nowadays. :mrgreen:
The good old Playstation "Ratchet and Clank" did a great job of Game+ as long as 5 or 10 years ago.

adam_bise
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by adam_bise »

I don't see the problem since the player can decide whether to enable it anyway. Personally I like humble beginnings though.

4xel
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by 4xel »

If I can disable it, I don't see any reason not to include the option. It should obviously disable most achievements (and you could add new ones as well that mere humans could struggle to check without advanced start).

Return to “General discussion”