0.11/0.12 Multiplayer

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Vulcan
Inserter
Inserter

0.11/0.12 Multiplayer

Post by Vulcan »

What would happen concerning mods and multiplayer? Will mods be disabled entirely, or will there be a way of sharing mods, because there would be some serious problems if one player makes something from a mod that the other player does not have, if indeed it even appears on the other player's screen.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: 0.11/0.12 Multiplayer

Post by kovarex »

All the players in the multiplayer game need to have the exact same set of mods (including versions) to be able to play.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

Will there be an option to download the mods directly from the host?

Mangledpork
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Mangledpork »

DaveMcW wrote:Will there be an option to download the mods directly from the host?
Don't forget, 0.11 is the extremely basic and ropey multiplayer update. The answer is almost certainly "Not yet" unless it's a feature required for multiplayer to run at all.

therapist
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by therapist »

I hope we get a robust multiplayer package (mods etc.) system some time down the line or at least in time for 1.0. Many games already use a system sort of like this:

Imagine you fire up the "Multiplayer Server Browser" or whatever you want to call the system of menus that allow you to pick your server. Once you select a server, you'll see a small list of mods, texture packs, sound packs, etc that the server you selected uses. Upon connecting to that server, you would download any packages (mods) from either a central location, the server itself, or a decentralized sharing system. With this system, even if you have extra mods installed, you'll still be able to join any multiplayer server you want no matter what mods you or the server uses. A player would be capable of essentially having a huge list of mods downloaded and joining any server at their own will without enabling or disabling mods manually.

Hope that makes sense, and I really hope that the devs will see this sort of system as just the default, common sense, plan for multiplayer modding and package handling.
Last edited by therapist on Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheWombatGuru
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by TheWombatGuru »

What you're saying sounds cool, therapist, but your name doesn't, but that's probably just my perverted mind.

Junion
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Junion »

TheWombatGuru wrote:What you're saying sounds cool, therapist, but your name doesn't, but that's probably just my perverted mind.
What's so bad about a Therapist?

:D

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

I've been wondering, if a game is unplayable online due to 0.11 not really being designed to work that way, would using a program like hamachi get better results? It basically emulates a LAN, and that's what 0.11 is being designed for. I know already that ping and latency would still be an issue, but I was wondering if hamachi would be better at handling it?

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nova »

The problem is the latency. Hamachi only helps if you need to use a LAN (because the online system of the game is garbage, or offline, or non-existent, or ...), not if you need a fast connection.
Greetings, Nova.
Factorio is one of the greatest games I ever played, with one of the best developers I ever heard of.

espritcrafter
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by espritcrafter »

Junion wrote:
TheWombatGuru wrote:What you're saying sounds cool, therapist, but your name doesn't, but that's probably just my perverted mind.
What's so bad about a Therapist?

:D
Since he referenced his "perverted" mind, I would imagine that his brain is adding a space after the first three letters... or capitalizing the first T and the first R of the name.

therapist
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by therapist »

I feel like maybe you've misconstrued some things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHxW4lztFTg

"I feel like I should arrest you."

DerivePi
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DerivePi »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bxnuOdWUmA

Oh, I thought you were referencing this one!

Return to “General discussion”