The thing about blueprints which fell under the table

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Escadin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

The thing about blueprints which fell under the table

Post by Escadin »

What about blueprints of trains?

I mean anyone who has worked with circuit network to micromanage their trains (even if it's just to use generic station names) knows that trains can require very setup specific conditions to work properly. Sometimes these condition become very complex if you use them to shortcut some of the modeling work in your circuits.
Without the right setup your trains won't handle the station's signals properly which also makes it moot to share any such station blueprints with other players.

When I move to a new game I can bring and re-use the station blueprints but I cannot copy the train condition setups. I always have to go back and make screenshots or something for manual reconfiguration. It's errorprone and requires tools from outside your savegame while the blueprints for stations are just naturally there.

So, will we be able to make snapshots / blueprints / copies of trains which we can pass between worlds and players after the GUI rework?
It's like we're missing a fundamental functionality here and I don't recall it even mentioned in any of the 3 or 4 threads we had on the subject.
"--? How are commands compounded in a compounded compound command commanding compound composts." -defines.lua

Bauer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: The thing about blueprints which fell under the table

Post by Bauer »

+1

adam_bise
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by adam_bise »

Agreed 100% Repeatedly setting up the same train schedule over and over is boring!

HalfPastZulu
Inserter
Inserter

Post by HalfPastZulu »

Trains and their cars should definitely be on blueprints. Setting train color, schedule, and all the cargo slots in the train car is very, very tedious for a game all about automation.

FrodoOf9Fingers
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by FrodoOf9Fingers »

You can copy paste those settings from a pre-existing train. It'd be interesting if there was a build able train though. It'd make it so mods could setup an entire minning outpost, including placing the train, setting it's schedule, and setting it to run. Extra points if the train could be placed with fuel of choice.

Escadin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Escadin »

FrodoOf9Fingers wrote:You can copy paste those settings from a pre-existing train.
Yes, of course. But what train when you moved all your blueprints to a new game or shared them with strangers and friends on the internet?

I could upload my blueprint books to a steam guide right this second and everything would work right out of the box for everyone... except train station blue prints.
"--? How are commands compounded in a compounded compound command commanding compound composts." -defines.lua

Durentis
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Durentis »

I very much like this idea. Would make my recent blueprints easier because I wouldn't have to instruct people on how to construct and schedule trains to make the example function. I'd also be able to drop blueprints of large stackers already full of trains ready to go.

But trains aren't static items and they'd need to be ghostable. Would ghost trains affect signals or can trains run through them? If trains can run through them, will construction bots wait until the train passes before placing one? And what if the train covers more than one block but now cannot be completed because another train is stopped over half of it? What happens if you try to place what would be a train over top of a passing train?

Perhaps the convenience is worth the edge case difficulties even if they cannot be resolved?

Escadin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Escadin »

Durentis wrote:I very much like this idea. Would make my recent blueprints easier because I wouldn't have to instruct people on how to construct and schedule trains to make the example function. I'd also be able to drop blueprints of large stackers already full of trains ready to go.

But trains aren't static items and they'd need to be ghostable. Would ghost trains affect signals or can trains run through them? If trains can run through them, will construction bots wait until the train passes before placing one? And what if the train covers more than one block but now cannot be completed because another train is stopped over half of it? What happens if you try to place what would be a train over top of a passing train?

Perhaps the convenience is worth the edge case difficulties even if they cannot be resolved?
Oh gees I didn't consider that.

To be honest, I would be happy already with the blueprint storing schedule information which is then automatically applied to trains you place on the station afterwards.

Having trains actually ghostable objects would really be nice though. Obviously you can only ghost them onto rails or ghost rails so those always need to be part of the blueprint. Is there any way to allow ONLY ghost rails for that matter? Cause there can't be a crash with real trains on rails which aren't there.

epr
Inserter
Inserter

Post by epr »

+1
A way of transfering trains with schedules/ set waggon slots between saves is definitley something that's missing right now.

T-A-R
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by T-A-R »

It would be helpful if we can at least copy paste the selection from another save file.

Return to “General discussion”