The hardest mode yet

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
unga02
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

The hardest mode yet

Post by unga02 »

http://prntscr.com/k39d5a
It's not death world marathon...
It's "You are trapped on an island and you cant get out".

I think RSO screwed up.
Thanks for reading this shitpost.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: The hardest mode yet

Post by Klonan »

Maybe we need a secret achievement for this...

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Klonan wrote:Maybe we need a secret achievement for this...
"(Your very own) Private Island"

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

Island spawns will never stop being relevant. It's just one of those things that probably should be polished out in some way. A simple "move the spawn point" would fix it, but a "crash site" mechanic could help veer the player away from the most obvious death traps.

Gergely
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gergely »

It would be nice if the game AT LEAST tried to place the player to a spot where it could path find to the temporary "edge" of the world.

Now that we have map previews it is way more relevant!

Imagine finding a really great map after many tries with the map preview generator only to find out that you are stuck on an island.

Also, if you want to create an achievement for this, you have to make the program detect such errors, and if you do, you can already solve the problem by randomly teleporting the player if it does happen since you can detect it. The player would not even notice, and that fact destroys the point of the achievement.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Gergely wrote:It would be nice if the game AT LEAST tried to place the player to a spot where it could path find to the temporary "edge" of the world.
No need to path to the edge of the world, just need to path to iron, copper, coal, stone, and a few trees. After that, you can always landfill your way out.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

4xel
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by 4xel »

Gergely wrote: Now that we have map previews it is way more relevant!
How so? If anything Map preview allows you to spot and avoid island spawn without wasting loading time. You spawn in the very center of the preview (a spawn indicator would greatly help though).

Yes, some maps are amazing except for that little fact, but that's independant from map preview. Running into such maps without preview is at least just as bad and not less frequent. Map previews allow to find many other amazing maps in a shorter amount of time than no preview.

If you found an amazing map where you're stranded and don't need it for achievement, you can always open the console (`) and type :

Code: Select all

/c game.player.insert{name="landfill", count=50}
Also, I second what Koub says.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

4xel wrote:If anything Map preview allows you to spot and avoid island spawn without wasting loading time.
It doesn't always. I've had 2 island spawns in 0.16 where I've started on a tiny island just a few tiles away from land. The preview looked good, and it's hard to tell where exactly the game is going to spawn you. (Plus there is typically some water near the spawn location, which you want for the initial power plant).

4xel
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by 4xel »

Zavian wrote:
4xel wrote:If anything Map preview allows you to spot and avoid island spawn without wasting loading time.
It doesn't always. I've had 2 island spawns in 0.16 where I've started on a tiny island just a few tiles away from land. The preview looked good, and it's hard to tell where exactly the game is going to spawn you. (Plus there is typically some water near the spawn location, which you want for the initial power plant).
Yeah, having a spawn marker on the preview would be a huge QoL feature. But my poinnt is, without the preview, you would also have had to launch these games.

m44v
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by m44v »

Just let us choose in the map preview where to spawn. Changing the spawnpoint during gameplay would be great too.

Return to “General discussion”