Formulas?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Maddhawk
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Formulas?

Post by Maddhawk »

Is there a central repository of all the different formulas used to math out factory production? Just be clear, I am NOT looking for any mod, calculator, spreadsheet, or other "punch in desired production here and we will do the rest for you" sort of thing. I am just looking for a handy cheat sheet of formulas of same nature like a mathematics professor might give his/her students. I want to do the math for my builds by hand, where the only calculator is my own brain and perhaps a simple old fashion hand punched calculator.

Ex. of Factorio Formula -
To calculate the output of items per second for a given production line: n / rt * cs = i/sec

Where:
n - number of assemblers producing a given item
rt - recipe time for a crafting speed of 1 (hand crafting time, which is the default time given in the player recipe book)
cs - actual crafting speed of the assemblers in question
i/sec - is items produced per second.

Asm_nh
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Formulas?

Post by Asm_nh »

https://github.com/wube/factorio-data have all up-to-date prototypes including recipes, production speed for different structures etc. - and starting from that you should be able to calculate all other things by hand (for possibly missing info like inserter/belt speed there are exact values on wiki). It might not be easily readable to human eye, but it is up to date (updated Wube) and easy to wrap up in something easier to display data (if there's something like that I'd love to see it). In-game mod that displays recipe info (showing recipe as inputs/outputs/crafting time + machines it can be put in) is FNEI - and due to it allowing to browse recipes that use/produce specific item it makes calculating ratios for entire process more convenient.

The only formulae to be concerned with are crafting time, productivity mod gains, fuel use efficiency and maybe throughput limit for inserter/belt setup, rest is just data and using those to solve more complex problems.

Kryptos
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Formulas?

Post by Kryptos »

Crafting Speed divided by the crafting time of the recipe is items per second per assembler. That's your basic, F=ma level, Factorio equation. Productivity bonuses multiply results by the bonus. Power follows real life physics, so J=W*s. Note the 50% efficiency rating of boilers.

From that, you can figure out absolutely every ratio by hand. Just look at the recipe, and compare the number of machines/inserters needed to maintain the input. If you don't mix assembler types and don't mix productivity/speed bonuses, the equation simplifies down to 1/crafting time. However, this is difficult to do when you start dealing with oil. At that point, you'll probably need to math it out. Or some up with a good approximation.

Return to “General discussion”