Can I stay with 0.15 on Steam after full release?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Nuraalek
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Can I stay with 0.15 on Steam after full release?

Post by Nuraalek »

So, not too sure where to put this question, hopefully in the correct place!

I'm not a fan of the new 0.16 world gen, much prefered 0.15. Now, I know I can revert to 0.15 on Steam and stop it from updating to 0.16, but will this still be possible once the game is out of early access? I know I can d/l the 0.15 from the website (and in fact have done so), but I would prefer to stay on the Steam version.

And on a related note, is there anything I should be wary of if I were to install & play the stand-alone version - will the save files interfere with the Steam one? Any other potential clashes?

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Can I stay with 0.15 on Steam after full release?

Post by DaveMcW »

The devs have always made it easy to go back to old versions. The website has versions all the way back to 0.6. (Plus 0.1 is free!)

You can download the website version if you are paranoid. There are 2 versions, the installer which uses Steam's save folder, and the zip which is completely standalone. The zip is recommended for old versions.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Also, map gen is set to be significantly improved in 0.17.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

metis_seeker
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by metis_seeker »

Jap2.0 wrote:Also, map gen is set to be significantly improved in 0.17.
Do you have a source for that? Are you referring to "Map generator improvements and fixes, autoplace specification improvements and documentation." from the roadmap: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=678

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

metis_seeker wrote:
Jap2.0 wrote:Also, map gen is set to be significantly improved in 0.17.
Do you have a source for that? Are you referring to "Map generator improvements and fixes, autoplace specification improvements and documentation." from the roadmap: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=678
Yes, also 54664 - TOGoS is working on it.

zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by zOldBulldog »

I learned to cope with 0.16 map generation, but it is annoying/unpleasant. In particular cliffs, how fragmented water is, but more than anything the poor resources no matter what you choose during map generation. I figure that if I choose the options for "a lot of resources" I must have a reason to do so and thus expect to get a lot. Choosing the max options and getting tiny patches is just plain wrong.

I totally plan to jump on 0.17 experimental as soon as it is released on steam. A few bugs are likely to be more pleasant than 0.16.

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

zOldBulldog wrote:but more than anything the poor resources no matter what you choose during map generation. I figure that if I choose the options for "a lot of resources" I must have a reason to do so and thus expect to get a lot.
Resource generation has always been bad. Simply because it's just random noise. And they are still convinced that that's the way to go.

Get RSO. You will probably never go back. RSO divides the game into chunk sized regions and then you have a per-region chance for to spawn. Both can be adjusted independently. You can also adjust the distance scaling. You get guaranteed resources in the starting area. You can adjust the richness multiplier for the starting area or for all resources. You can adjust the size multiplier.
That's on top of the vanilla resource settings, which still do something. Frequency has been changed to set their relative frequency between each other. So if two have the same value, they have an equal chance.

zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by zOldBulldog »

Serenity wrote:
zOldBulldog wrote:but more than anything the poor resources no matter what you choose during map generation. I figure that if I choose the options for "a lot of resources" I must have a reason to do so and thus expect to get a lot.
Resource generation has always been bad. Simply because it's just random noise. And they are still convinced that that's the way to go.

Get RSO. You will probably never go back. RSO divides the game into chunk sized regions and then you have a per-region chance for to spawn. Both can be adjusted independently. You can also adjust the distance scaling. You get guaranteed resources in the starting area. You can adjust the richness multiplier for the starting area or for all resources. You can adjust the size multiplier.
That's on top of the vanilla resource settings, which still do something. Frequency has been changed to set their relative frequency between each other. So if two have the same value, they have an equal chance.
I heard of RSO many times before and I am convinced that long term it is the way to go. But I am still doing achievements and I hear that using any mods will disable them, so at least of now I am stuck with substandard factorio choices.

Perhaps factorio needs a list of whitelisted "quality of life" mods like RSO that don't disable achievements. Wishful thinking, I'm sure. I can dream, but I won't even bother to formally submit it as an enhancement suggestion.

I wonder though, can you install different mods in different saves? Maybe that way I could play some games with mods and some without.

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

zOldBulldog wrote: I wonder though, can you install different mods in different saves? Maybe that way I could play some games with mods and some without.
Yes. There is a sync button that reads the mods the save uses. Just requires a restart after it

zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by zOldBulldog »

Serenity wrote:
zOldBulldog wrote: I wonder though, can you install different mods in different saves? Maybe that way I could play some games with mods and some without.
Yes. There is a sync button that reads the mods the save uses. Just requires a restart after it
Awesome! Can you confirm that if a save *does not* use the mods, it will still earn achievements even though the mods are installed and used by *other* saves?

If yes... RSO, here I come!!! :D

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

zOldBulldog wrote:
Serenity wrote:
Awesome! Can you confirm that if a save *does not* use the mods, it will still earn achievements even though the mods are installed and used by *other* saves?

If yes... RSO, here I come!!! :D
I can confirm.

FactorioParadox
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by FactorioParadox »

zOldBulldog wrote:I learned to cope with 0.16 map generation, but it is annoying/unpleasant. In particular cliffs, how fragmented water is, but more than anything the poor resources no matter what you choose during map generation. I figure that if I choose the options for "a lot of resources" I must have a reason to do so and thus expect to get a lot. Choosing the max options and getting tiny patches is just plain wrong.

I totally plan to jump on 0.17 experimental as soon as it is released on steam. A few bugs are likely to be more pleasant than 0.16.
Well cliffs can be disabled and the tiny patches and fragmented water+ores can be fixed by using larger but less common patches. Doesn't entirely fix things and may require you to go through several maps before finding the right one, but at least it's something.

Aeternus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Aeternus »

Here's to hoping TOGoS just draws heavy inspiration from RSO. It deserves to become part of the core game - with a few tweaks. Wouldn't be the first time a really successful mod is just absorbed into vanilla :)

Return to “General discussion”