Factorio flaws

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
featherwinglove
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Factorio flaws

Post by featherwinglove »

Once upon a time, I had every single problem OP is complaining about and then some. (The most annoying was that there was almost no motivation to control pollution, so I made a mod that implemented damage from pollution.) So, I proceeded to mod out literally every single one of those problems. The resulting mod pack is so fun I still play 0.14.21.
Hedning1390 wrote:On my "there is no spoon" run I used mainly stone furnaces simply because I didn't have time to change them.
I don't change them in resource-rich speed runs because steel furnaces cost about six times as much and are only twice as fast. That said, I do make new resource back ends with them because I can set them up faster and it's usually the factory waiting for me rather than vice versa at that point in the game. I'm jealous of AntiElitz 'cus I see him waiting for stuff to craft every now and then at a point where I, with an hour or two more on the clock, have a factory backed up to the drills waiting for me to finish building plastics or batteries or whatever it's waiting for.

PurpleGreen
Inserter
Inserter

Post by PurpleGreen »

Bauer wrote:First of all, I said in the first reply in this thread that I (almost) fully agree to Hedning1390's statements.
I also would like to point out that Factorio is an awesome game that gave me many, many hours of joyfull play.
Thanks for that.
bman212121 wrote: 2. No, the game doesn't pit efficiency against creativity. You can come up with clever designs to maximize your output without it having to be boring. Just because you feel that you have to use 8 beacons around a factory, definitely doesn't mean it's the right way or the only way. The game does not force you to do that, nor does the game force you to make straight lines. You choose to do this because you feel it is the only way to achieve "perfect" efficiency. You could have a beacon that makes a circle or a triangle pattern, but once you figure out the "perfect" layout, it's just going to be more of the same. You are forcing yourself into a "boring" play style because you can't envision doing it any other way. If you can't get past having to use beacons because they are there, then download a mod to just turn them off. That will force you to actually come up with new and challenging ways to tackle the same problem.
This is IMHO the most important point in this thread. Not only by itself but also because it's highly relevant for the bots-vs-belts discussion.

Last week, I worked for about 6 hours to create a building-block that produces 600 green circuits/s with Cu and Fe plates as input. I was going to multiply this by at least 3, maybe 5-6.
Being bored of the assembler, beacon rows, I tried to create something new. I came up with a belt-based solution, not perfectly efficient, but a design that would make the assemblers work continuously with 6 beacons to allow for belts. My UPS dropped so badly (from 58 to 11 after building 2 of such building blocks, unplayable!!) that I decided to tear everything down. It took me 20 minutes to design and build a bot-based 8/8-type building block. The impact on UPS is negligible. That's a sad story.

This is why I think that I am forced to NOT diversify.

I have a working design, it does what I want it to do, I like watching it, I'd still prefer to watch a belt based setup. But, hey!, I know I cannot have everything.
It would be great to read a FFF about this to see the developers view on things.

My question here would be : Why do you play on a potatoe and ask the devs to fix this ? ....

Bauer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Bauer »

PurpleGreen wrote:My question here would be : Why do you play on a potatoe and ask the devs to fix this ? ....
I paid 1400 Euro for that potatoe. Can't be too bad, can it?

However, I think you didn't get my point. I would go smaller if a more UPS-intensive build would make sense with respect to any other goal than aesthetics, e.g. efficiency, building cost, player time, foot-print, whatever. But it doesn't.

And don't get me wrong: Aesthetics is fine. I like for example the diogonal base T-1024 presented a few weeks ago.
But keep in mind: Factorio is not primarily an art project.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Bauer wrote:But keep in mind: Factorio is not primarily an art project.
That's subjective.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Hellatze
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hellatze »

featherwinglove wrote:Once upon a time, I had every single problem OP is complaining about and then some. (The most annoying was that there was almost no motivation to control pollution, so I made a mod that implemented damage from pollution.) So, I proceeded to mod out literally every single one of those problems. The resulting mod pack is so fun I still play 0.14.21.
Hedning1390 wrote:On my "there is no spoon" run I used mainly stone furnaces simply because I didn't have time to change them.
I don't change them in resource-rich speed runs because steel furnaces cost about six times as much and are only twice as fast. That said, I do make new resource back ends with them because I can set them up faster and it's usually the factory waiting for me rather than vice versa at that point in the game. I'm jealous of AntiElitz 'cus I see him waiting for stuff to craft every now and then at a point where I, with an hour or two more on the clock, have a factory backed up to the drills waiting for me to finish building plastics or batteries or whatever it's waiting for.
yes factorio is fun, but when we have to complain the flaw, accept it.

you fanboy, probably think they are degenerate. however, they do have a point.

and i hate it when mod solve everything, instead making more feature to the game. too dependant on mod, reminds me of betsheda creation club.

adjl
Inserter
Inserter

Post by adjl »

Hellatze wrote:and i hate it when mod solve everything, instead making more feature to the game. too dependant on mod, reminds me of betsheda creation club.
Mods will always solve everything, provided there's a decent modding community. No game is ever going to be perfect for everyone, or hold your attention forever. What mods do is allow you to turn the game into exactly what you want it to be (or at least a much closer approximation) and add more content that will help hold your interest. Factorio is a long ways from Bethesda territory, given that Wube is not relying on the modding community to do all of their bug fixing for them after launch (as evidenced by the fact that the game hasn't even launched yet). It's just a game that's inherently flexible enough that modding can add a wealth of additional content.

lovewyrm
Inserter
Inserter

Post by lovewyrm »

Factorio Flaw:

I sometimes end up shooting the shotgun, flamethrower and other "doesn't need a locked on target" weapon when unpausing the game with shift + space.

Inari
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Inari »

bobucles wrote:
I want to be creative!
> Proceeds to copy the exact same thing they've seen a million times before
This game lacks creativity!
I cry evry tim :lol:
Bit late of a reply, but yes.
"Humans love to optimize things, and doing one thing over and over again is usually going to be optimal. The challenge posed to designers is how to steer players away from that grind mentality and how to keep the game fun for as long as possible"

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

The way toward optimal designs is generally through iterative improvement. Your first few attempts at anything will generally leave room for improvement.

Return to “General discussion”