Help - Should I be using flamethrower?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Help - Should I be using flamethrower?

Post by MeduSalem »

dood wrote:Real men fuel their flame turrets with barrels on giant sushi belts as long as the eye can see.
For mad men only.

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vanatteveldt »

dood wrote:Real men fuel their flame turrets with barrels on giant sushi belts as long as the eye can see.
This. Everyone can do pipes. Pipes are the bots of fluid logistics (/me ducks)

Tricorius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Tricorius »

vanatteveldt wrote:It's tricky to handle the empty barrels correctly though.
Naw. The belt runs the entire wall around the base. So there is plenty of room. I treat it like ammo to regular turrets. Light oil gets barreled at the refinery, belted out to the perimeter. Assembly machines pull off the belt, feed into the flame turret pipes and eject empties straight onto the other lane of the same belt. These get priority filter split back up into the refinery. All empties stay in the same network. I can control the amount of barrels in the loop so it is never clogged.

Haven’t counted but I’m sure there are several thousand barrels looping the base. :)
MeduSalem wrote:Why even use barrels at all?

The effort is not worth it.

Pipes are like 100 times easier.
Of course it isn’t “worth the effort”. But that is what makes it fun. ;) The irony: the barreling takes place directly south of the refinery, then a belt a couple dozen tiles long moves the south to the perimeter wall to join the ammo loop. I then have an assembler for roughly every two or three flame turrets unbarrelling into a pipe loop connected only to the flame turrets.

:D

I actually like having closed loops, in general, though. I don’t like having one massive pipe network.

I’m going to building out a new iron ore outpost soon. Thinking of slotting flame turrets and ammo into my construction and supply trains. That actually does present a more interesting decision for empties. I may just end up generalizing my military supply train (currently just artillery wagons to take advantage of their ability to carry more artillery shells). It will likely become a mixed wagon train. Two artillery wagons, two cargo wagons slotted with turrets, ammo (including full and empty barrels), and walls.

Hmmm. I like where this is going.

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

How much longer until we reach the endgame of every single fluid being bottled and transported by sushi belt? :lol:

Tricorius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Tricorius »

bobucles wrote:How much longer until we reach the endgame of every single fluid being bottled and transported by sushi belt? :lol:
I figured if I’m going to flamethrower, might as well go all in. ;)

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

Tricorius wrote:Of course it isn’t “worth the effort”. But that is what makes it fun. ;). [...]
If you are seriously doing that then you have a weird definition of fun. Might as well play the game with your hands tied to the back just for the sake of it.

dood
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dood »

MeduSalem wrote:
Tricorius wrote:Of course it isn’t “worth the effort”. But that is what makes it fun. ;). [...]
If you are seriously doing that then you have a weird definition of fun. Might as well play the game with your hands tied to the back just for the sake of it.
Way ahead of you.
I've been typing this with my face all along.

Tricorius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Tricorius »

MeduSalem wrote:If you are seriously doing that then you have a weird definition of fun. Might as well play the game with your hands tied to the back just for the sake of it.
I think anyone who has played Factorio for thousands of hours blows way past the standard definition of “having fun”.

:mrgreen:

(I’ll toss some screenshots up when I get some spare time. I actually quite like the results. In the morning I take the lawn chair and a cooler over to the wall to enjoy the sounds of biters igniting. :) )

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

Tricorius wrote:I think anyone who has played Factorio for thousands of hours blows way past the standard definition of “having fun”.
Meh. Not me.

Before I come up with ridiculous stuff like that just for the sake of delaying the inevitable I rather take a break from the game and play or do something else.

Don't feel like making things artificially complicated.

Tricorius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Tricorius »

MeduSalem wrote:Don't feel like making things artificially complicated.
Yeah. I hear you. It mostly came out of my plans to spice up outposts a bit. Sure, you *can* just wall out a bunch of laser turrets. But it’s a bit cooler to see things happening out there.

Of course, I try not to go back to an outpost after initially setting it up until it is time to tear it down...so :: shrug ::

Update (early mark one version -- playing around with it):

Bunchie
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Bunchie »

flamethrower is best weapon don't question it.

T-A-R
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by T-A-R »

ChoMar wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:17 pm
...and require pretty much a Bot Network to refill (yes, you CAN do it with belts, but who does that at the Uranium Ammo stage?)).
Ha, i do.
.. on my Fibonacci shaped spiral base https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_spiral xD. Since i feed from the center old ammo is emptied FIFO. Strongholds are provided with a tank of oil (filled by train) of by barrels (filled by hand). Ill build a barrel belt later when needed (already have a omni-retour belt) Though expansion is waiting for 0.17, since science changes.

I actually used flame turrets early-game on manual exploration missions using a assembler and a solar consuming barrels of light oil. This gave some extra punch where needed.

Light
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Light »

I personally use liquid trains to transport fuel for flamethrowers not only for the main outer perimeter, but also for distant outposts that require heavy fortification. Given I play very biter intense maps (non-vanilla) where hordes of 100+ come to my front doorstep every 40 seconds, the flamethrower defense is an absolute essential, and my personal favourite.

Nothing makes me smile more than burnin' critters in the morning.

adam_bise
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by adam_bise »

Light wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:02 am
the flamethrower defense is an absolute essential, and my personal favourite.
Mine too. I get flamethrower turrets up ASAP, and use them from then on.

But I typically use crude in the lines so they double as crude supply lines for all of my factories.
perim.png
perim.png (752.37 KiB) Viewed 2688 times
supply.png
supply.png (1.21 MiB) Viewed 2688 times

Return to “General discussion”