The speed runner that materialized out of nowhere

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
featherwinglove
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

The speed runner that materialized out of nowhere

Post by featherwinglove »

Hi guys, I just tripped over Junn Kit Wong on Youtube, who is very unconventional as speed runners go. No Livesplit (or OBS equivalent), no commentary, just professional quality pwnage of 0.15 set mex any%. Check out the latest run and maybe drop some encouragement, 'cus I don't want him to give up. Also, please let me know if this category has anyone at sub-3hr; not seeing any from Anti, the usual suspect so far.

nevniv
Inserter
Inserter

Re: The speed runner that materialized out of nowhere

Post by nevniv »

Do speed runners always play in peaceful mode? After watching for a while I was wondering why he had no defenses and then I realized he chose peaceful. Takes away the pollution management part of the game entirely but I guess if everyone does it the playing field is leveled for speed runs.

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

Just a friendly note that this run is seeded and uses custom resource settings. It's not the same as a default run, although I don't know the exact rules for all run categories.

The run is also from over 3 months ago and is version .15.

Daid
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Daid »

nevniv wrote:Do speed runners always play in peaceful mode? After watching for a while I was wondering why he had no defenses and then I realized he chose peaceful. Takes away the pollution management part of the game entirely but I guess if everyone does it the playing field is leveled for speed runs.
Setting the starting area to the maximum size also removes the need for defenses.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

nevniv wrote:Do speed runners always play in peaceful mode? After watching for a while I was wondering why he had no defenses and then I realized he chose peaceful. Takes away the pollution management part of the game entirely but I guess if everyone does it the playing field is leveled for speed runs.
Depends on the speedrunner, but they don't always play peaceful. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBPJBgGLp7s is default options run by AntiElitz. However the fastest runs tend to be custom options, with a known seed.

featherwinglove
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

nevniv wrote:Do speed runners always play in peaceful mode?
No, there are different categories. (Personally, I'm hoping a death world set seed any% will arise.) Set mex any% is the category that has the fastest options, and peaceful is part of that. I call it "set mex" vs. the usual "set seed" terminology because a mex, or map exchange string, sets all options, and I do believe there's such a thing as a default options set seed, which would be non peaceful, and there the seed would be the only option you can change. (Similar with the death world set seed: you can set the seed, but you'd have to select "death world" and not change any of its options.)

One thing that's curiously absent from Factorio speed running is the word "glitchless". In most games that are speed run, one is playing the final release and the bugs are not getting fixed. Wube devs are gods really good at fixing bugs rapidly, which makes it close to impossible to take advantage of bugs. Also, the open single map nature of Factorio automatically excludes things like wrong warps and barrier skips even if there were such bugs - that might happen with campaigns, but even then it becomes academic when it's all implemented open source via a Lua script interpreter; there are about a dozen times as many ways to cheat. Factorio is therefore pretty much unique in that the fastest category is glitchless and you don't even say it. There are a variety of different goals, the shortest being steel axe, the standard being a single rocket ("any%"), all non-infinite research, and all achievements ("100%"). The records vary from about 8 minutes up to somewhere around 15 hours for 100% IIRC. Depending on the Factorio version, set mex any% (single launch) world records currently vary from just under two hours to just over three.

featherwinglove
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Zavian wrote: Depends on the speedrunner, but they don't always play peaceful. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBPJBgGLp7s is default options run by AntiElitz.
Let's amend that.
However the fastest runs tend to be custom options, with a known seed.
Fastest known set mex any% in any version. And that's also AntiElitz, the usual suspect. Like I was saying, who's this Junn Kit Wong bloke taking over set mex any%? He isn't even as detectable as the other usual suspects like hoefnix, thuejk, etc..

Return to “General discussion”