[POLL]Which major update do you think will end up being 1.0?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.

In your opinion, which Factorio major release would/should be declared 1.0 when it becomes stable?

2%
22%
37%
17%
7%
Nothing before 0.21
14%

Total votes: 99

Gergely
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[POLL]Which major update do you think will end up being 1.0?

Post by Gergely »

I am starting to worry that it won't even make it into this year. I guess... 0.17 will be pretty much it. But I would like to see for myself if anyone thinks otherwise.
slpwnd wrote:Golden rule: everything takes longer than expected.
Share your opinion.

In case it is not clear enough, this poll is not about predicting the future. You might as well cast your vote based on what you think will be the case, but you should also consider voting based on what you want( or wish).
Last edited by Gergely on Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:42 am, edited 9 times in total.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [POLL]Which major update do you think will end up being 1.0?

Post by Jap2.0 »

Well, they say that 0.17 will be 1.0.

But they also said that about 0.16.
And 0.15.
And 0.14
And 0.13
Etc., etc., etc.

Edit: probably 0.18
Last edited by Jap2.0 on Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Pothrekr
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Pothrekr »

Hi,

A follow on question: What is the value to us that have already purchased the game of it becoming 1.0?

Being serious not patronizing.

From my perspective having played since 0.12 I think. The game is feature rich, stable and fun. The only aspect that I think could be improved is the role of the aliens but even that is relatively minor.

So considering after having played this marvelous game and realising I would have payed double or triple the price I did, what do I really gain from the game going to "released" stage?

Poth

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

Even though they said 0.17 I place my bets on 0.18 due to unforseen problems in the graphics or GUI backend rework they are currently working on.

That said... threads like this one are the reason why most developers usually stick to the "when it's done"-attitude.

Hellatze
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hellatze »

Gergely wrote:I am starting to worry that it won't even make it into this year.

I guess... 0.17 will be pretty much it. But I would like to see for myself if anyone thinks otherwise.

Share your opinion.
Maybe 10 year.

Hellatze
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hellatze »

MeduSalem wrote:Even though they said 0.17 I place my bets on 0.18 due to unforseen problems in the graphics or GUI backend rework they are currently working on.

That said... threads like this one are the reason why most developers usually stick to the "when it's done"-attitude.
Sure some people said time are cheap.

(They are not)

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

As a player, I mainly see disadvantages when 1.0 is released, because, after that, it will be a lot harder to make major changes to the game.

For example, major changes, such as changing the boiler size from 1x1 to 3x2 as was done in 0.15, will no longer be possible after 1.0 is released.

Of course, going out of early access will be financially important for the game developers, because it will give them a wider customer base.
Last edited by Tekky on Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by impetus maximus »

as long as Wube keeps adding content, who cares when we get a 'finished' game? :D

Gergely
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gergely »

impetus maximus wrote:as long as Wube keeps adding content, who cares when we get a 'finished' game? :D
Well, they said (once) that they could continue adding new content even after the game is out of beta.

dog80
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dog80 »

stupid poll

Pothrekr
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Pothrekr »

Tekky wrote:As a player, I mainly see disadvantages when 1.0 is released, because, after that, it will be a lot harder to make major changes to the game.

For example, major changes, such as changing the boiler size from 1x1 to 3x2 as was done in 0.15, will no longer be possible after 1.0 is released.

Of course, going out of early access will be financially important for the game developers, because it will give them a wider customer base.
I agree it will be much harder to change existing functionality after 1.0. Though new functionality will likely not be impeded in any way.

With a game as stable as Factorio even on the experimental builds I'm not sure 1.0 should be a concern for the player. Clearly it is for Wube, but for me I'm just enjoying the ride.

JimBarracus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JimBarracus »

The most important feature will be the amount of stuff you will be able to mod.
When the devs open up the final game so much, that you can virtually mod anything into it.

I'm speaking about a modlevel compareable to a video-game-creator.
It will keep the game alive for a very long time.

Think of arma 2 and the dayZ Mod. Many people (like me) only bought the game to play the mod, not the original game.
They are already on a very good way, just look at the changelogs. Half of it is for the modders.

Anyway, I hardly believe any over dev team is so deep inside the game code like here.
So many performance tweeks and tech improvements that make gigabases run super smooth.
Bugfixing is amazing and in general the will to trash a running part of the game and completely rewrite it.
Most other devs would live with the bad coding and move on to the next project.

Gergely
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gergely »

JimBarracus wrote:When the devs open up the final game so much, that you can virtually mod anything into it.
Then I have one concern.

Hopefully this as well.

featherwinglove
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by featherwinglove »

I have predicted that the last beta version prior to release will be 0.17.23. If I remember correctly, 0.14.21 was the current version at the time I made that prediction. I didn't think particularly hard about that, especially since Wube was predicting 0.16 would be the final at the time IIRC. What I was thinking is that 0.16 would have a few traps left in it, gnarly issues so tough to fix that a 0.17 would be warranted, that 0.17 would have a similar relationship to 0.16 as 0.14 had to 0.13: just about no distinguishable differences at the front end. As a result of a relatively long run of 0.15 and 0.16 in experimental, 0.17 would have a shorter run, and I settled on 0.17.23. If I turn out to be bang on, I'll be astonished, but I won't be if I'm merely close.

Immun
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Immun »

i don't care when 1.0 comes out as long the friday facts are not ending with 1.0. i love the friday facts (and all other work you do :D ). i would even buy a monthly subscription for the friday facts like a news abonnement

dood
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dood »

They wanted to give some option for early construction bots so I still consider that to be pretty vital before it can go gold.
Someone also has to finally figure out how pipes work and then fix them because urgh. So that'll probably be around 0.30.

Hellatze
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hellatze »

I wish space feature updated soon. And exploring depths.

I like when factorio have dwarf fortress feature.

Fascinating if they manage to do that.

I will not complain forever if they add space and depths.(unless the game become full of bugs).

PurpleGreen
Inserter
Inserter

Post by PurpleGreen »

to me it seems the devs have just too much fun developing this game ... i would wish this never ends

compared to too many games that were released as early access games i am so impressed by what factorio is .. 2200+ hours of fun , frustration , excitement and fun fun fun

gsezz
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by gsezz »

I don't think I want a 1.0.

I like the quick development, and reaction to feedback from the community. Everytime I stopped playing for a few month, there were exciting new features when I returned. I don't want this to stop.
I've seen a few early access games going to 1.0, and they all got boring because their evolution either stopped completely, or slowed down.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

gsezz wrote:I don't think I want a 1.0.

I like the quick development, and reaction to feedback from the community. Everytime I stopped playing for a few month, there were exciting new features when I returned. I don't want this to stop.
I've seen a few early access games going to 1.0, and they all got boring because their evolution either stopped completely, or slowed down.
+1

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

Return to “General discussion”