I feel hollow after finishing a game of Factorio.

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
ExquisiteDave
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: I feel hollow after finishing a game of Factorio.

Post by ExquisiteDave »

Basically the game needs an actual campaign, I totally agree. Based on the UI of the game that there is a campaign list with 5 little tutorial missions, it does seem like they intend to add some sort of campaign. I also like the idea of having a home base factory on a world with limited resources.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Sir3n
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Sir3n »

My approach to thinking about factorio as a game is how i'd think about lego.

You take stuff, put them together and see what happens and go waaah, that's cool, what if i do something else with them? Can i make it bigger? weirder? funnier? There's not much meaning to playing with lego, there isn't much of an aim except ones that you set for yourself.

Not all games need to have some kind of campaign to be fun.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

Ah, Lego. Such brightly coloured bricks, enticing at first. But when you've finished building, you see them for what they are. The gateway to a bottomless void in which even ennui loses all meaning.

numgun
Inserter
Inserter

Post by numgun »

Hmm the current roadmap seems to simply wrap up the existing experience without any plan to address the metagame issue I bring up with the topic. Doesn't really help anything. :|

Any plans beyond that or is factorio going to be left as is once it leaves early access? Would be shame it if just ended there.

Aside from that, the other replies have been dissapointing in this thread:
  • People pretending to know what the devs want.
  • People suggesting bandaid solutions that do not solve the underlying issue.
  • People feeling like I'm attacking factorio, getting all defensive and blaming me that "I don't get it and this is just my problem".
  • People that simply haven't played video games long enough, still in their honeymoon period of excitement, unable to see the flaws yet.
Its unfortunate that this is something that only become apparent and obvious after years of experience, otherwise people's optimism and cognitive biases get the better of their judgement. :(
  • I feel hollow after finishing a game of Factorio: THREAD LINK

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

I bet you're a blast at parties.

But please, do continue to tell us all, in as much detail as possible, how disappointing we all are to you.

dood
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dood »

This is not a 4x game nor is it an RTS.
It's a sandbox with puzzle elements.
You control an eldritch abomination who doesn't care about concepts like "war and peace" with those minor nuisances.
You only care about science per minute.

Some ham-handed "diplomacy" screens would be out of place because it's not building things to build more things and there aren't even mechanics in place to support "having the biters work in your factory".
Going out of your way to destroy X biter nests that aren't in your way all day long would be out of place because it's not building things to build more things.

You want to expand the post game, for the love of god spare me with those infantile "moral choices" and at least stick to the plot.
Make it about building things to build more things.
You're gonna have a hard time with that though, infinite science took care of that a whille ago.

gsezz
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by gsezz »

Attempting to continue playing after a rocket launch feel empty, since there is no official objective to work towards.
I get to this point every time I have destroyers and a fully equipped suit. When biters aren't a challenge anymore, the rest is only a matter of time. That's usually the point when I loose interest in the map. Then I try a new map, with harder settings, but I don't have the patience to go through the early game again and end up playing something else for a few weeks. But I don't blame the game. It's me not having creativity to get more out of the sandbox. I'm in a constant rotation of factorio, KSP and oxygen not included. They all get boring after some time, but they have great replay value after taking a pause. Mainly because of their development state, they always have new things to explore when I return.

disentius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by disentius »

Aside from that, the other replies have been dissapointing in this thread:
  • People pretending to know what the devs want.
  • People suggesting bandaid solutions that do not solve the underlying issue.
  • People feeling like I'm attacking factorio, getting all defensive and blaming me that "I don't get it and this is just my problem".
  • People that simply haven't played video games long enough, still in their honeymoon period of excitement, unable to see the flaws yet.
Its unfortunate that this is something that only become apparent and obvious after years of experience, otherwise people's optimism and cognitive biases get the better of their judgement. :(
Why do you belittle everyone who does not agree with your view?
This will not end well, in my experience...

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Now this is the moderator me writing. I think there has been increasing criticisms of people in this topic, which I disapprove. The topic will be locked if there is just only one more.
More generally, this kind of discussion seems to go nowhere, the core of it is : what do you expect from a sandbox game. And there are answers for about every kind of player, so there is no universal answer.
I see the interest in suggesting how to improve current endgame experience. I don't see the point trying to create the perfect endgame experience for all the player base : it's an impossible task.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Koub wrote:[Koub] Now this is the moderator me writing. I think there has been increasing criticisms of people in this topic, which I disapprove. The topic will be locked if there is just only one more.
You disapprove of people criticizing someone who insists that his impossible suggestions is the best idea in the world and anybody who doesn't agree with his opinion is just too stupid/young/inexperienced to understand the awesomeness of his idea?
I mean, sure. I'm all for closing the topic as it's pointless. But only because OP is a troll and not because other people pointed that out to him :P.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

Yeah, jeez, just lock it. Who needs this miseryfest shabbying up the place anyway. Let him start another one like "When I play Factorio there is only a cold void where my heart should be" or "Factorio killed my dog".

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Fair enough. Topic locked.

Return to “General discussion”