[Vanilla Factorio] RSO Map Gen Settings

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Zerro
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[Vanilla Factorio] RSO Map Gen Settings

Post by Zerro »

Greetings,

Too lazy to install RSO (if that's still around) :P so I want a map where I have to prioritize Rails. Would "Rail World" be adequate enough or would I want to do any other tweaks and if so, what do you recommend?

Also, what does "Bitters won't create any new bases or re-expand into cleared territory" mean? I don't want the friendly creatures to be any easier than Default settings.

Thanks <3

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [Vanilla Factorio] RSO Map Gen Settings

Post by Jap2.0 »

Occasionally, a group of biters goes out from one of the biter bases to establish a new base elsewhere. That means that if you destroy all the biter bases in an area, if you don't defend it biters will eventually come back and establish bases there again. It won't prevent biter bases from attacking you. It does have some impact on difficulty - if they want to create a base near you they might end up attacking, especially if there's a wall between them and their prospective location for expansion, but more significantly, if they settle near you (within pollution range) they will regularly attack you. It's most annoying if you clear your pollution cloud of biters, but then they expand into it and atttack when you aren't expecting it. Overall, it will have a fairly minor impact on difficulty unless you have very poor defenses or are attempting to survive by clearing all the biter bases which will attack you (i.e. which are in pollution range).

Tl;dr: that option means that areas you conquer will stay conquered.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [Vanilla Factorio] RSO Map Gen Settings

Post by MeduSalem »

I would recommend a map with the following settings:

Choose the Rail World preset... and change the following:

Resource Settings... Change Uranium ore and Crude Oil also to Very Low if you want to. Especially Uranium is way too much around anyway.
Advanced Settings... Activate the Enemy Expansion, if you want to have the same enemy experience as default settings.

Spreads the resources further apart already.

Feel free to change whatever terrain settings you want ontop of that.

But if you want it even more hardcore then change the size and richness of the resources also to lower settings. But then you might run into the situation that you run out of resources and don't have enough material to get to the next ore patch, hence requires a lot of careful planning on resource expenses. So I don't recommend it unless you are experienced and know exactly what you are doing.

Personally I take the Death World (Marathon) preset... and change the resource frequence also to ultra low but the size and richness to very big/very good so I don't have to always build new outposts (while I want to use trains I actually really hate to constantly have to build new outposts)... thereby creating some kind of a fusion of Death World (Marathon) and Rail World. In my latest map I only have expensive recipes/technology but still Technology Price Multiplier 1x because it just took too long to research everything with 4x multiplier... doesn't really provide more fun/challenge but just drags everything out needlessly, while Recipe Difficulty at least changes some ratios.

Also you might want to have a look at the Wiki entry of World generation:
https://wiki.factorio.com/World_generator

Return to “General discussion”