Is there a mod that lets you name signals?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
SomeLazyBastard
Inserter
Inserter

Is there a mod that lets you name signals?

Post by SomeLazyBastard »

Per the subject. I'd like to be able to rename the circuit network signals.

It's not even necessary for the signal name to be visble when mousing over a utility pole, the names only have to be visible when mousing over each signal icon in the signal selection dialog (which would also be where you would assign names, I imagine).

So for instance, instead of "Signal J" a tooltip would pop up saying "More petrogas than light oil" or whatever name I've assigned based on how I decided to use the signal.

Alternately, something that WOULD allow you to see custom signal "names", would be if you could use one of the games existing icons but you get to superimpose a letter in subscript or superscript, so instead of seeing "K" for signal K, you could see the copper ore icon with a subscript "L" which might mean ("load copper ore into furnaces").

(It wasn't clear if any of the mod subforums were an appropriate place to ask whether a mod exists that provides a particular function. Feel free to move the thread if needed.)

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Is there a mod that lets you name signals?

Post by bobucles »

I don't know if this is helpful, but you can attach a signal to a named alarm. That way the alarm can display important things like "oil low" or "build more GCs".

Another option is to make a literal map key. Place icons on the map and name them.

SomeLazyBastard
Inserter
Inserter

Alarms are certainly handy and I do use them for conditions which require manual oversight (though it would be nice if you had the option to display more than one alert icon at a time), but I'm looking to be able to name signals so that I can bring some sanity to my automation. Thanks though.

SomeLazyBastard
Inserter
Inserter

I'm going to try using the Quill mod (in-game notepad) to see if that's enough to get by.

Though the fact that you can't move the notepad window, resize the notepad window, or apply any transparency to the notepad window is kind of a bummer.

Return to “General discussion”