Lets talk production window, shall we? :)

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Visione
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Lets talk production window, shall we? :)

Post by Visione »

So this is a snippet of the production window as is. I like it. But i can't help to think the following:

Right now the absolute numbers behind each material will tell you how much of each material is produced.
It also tells you actually the ratio between each material that is produced.
For example, everybody can tell pretty fast that 8.8k/m coppper ore is around half of 17.5k/m copper cables of production.

Each colored bar also represents a ratio of production compared to the top material produced.
Which essentially gives you the same information as all the numbers but then in a different format.

For me, although the colored bars look nice, that means they feel kinda redundant.
On top of that, tracking the ratio compared to top production is for most people not useful often. (i think? don't wanna generalize, haha)

So what if each bar represents the efficiency at which that particular material can be produced? Taking all beacons and modules into consideration.

Lets say all your Electric Circuit (green chips) factories have a combined output of 4K/m.
But they only produce half of that because ... lets say copper is running out, can be anything really.
You would instantly see your electric circuit factories are running at half the effiency for whatever reason.

This would also help tremendous in pinpointing what your factory needs,
one look at the production window and you can see which productions lines are running at max capacity
and whom therefor needs an upgrade the earliest.

For really well optimized factories all the colored bars would be 90/100% maxed out and would also be a direct indication on how well the factory is designed and functioning.
(wouldn't that be so cool??) (don't all start posting your super efficiency bases on the forums :P)

At last:
Thanks for an amazing game Wube and the dev team!
Last edited by Visione on Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

McDuff
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Lets talk production window, shall we? :)

Post by McDuff »

This is actually really interesting because it gives you something new to chase in your designs, which is how you can end up spending 8 hours on something you didn't mean to!

Like yes I know you can do it with spreadsheets and mathing it out now, but it would be an interesting thing to have a literal count of how your production matches your production capacity in real time.

Kelderek
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kelderek »

I wouldn't mind a 3rd view that was simply the net value of production - consumption, make it black or green if the net is positive, show it red if the net is negative. Being able to see that at a glance for each time frame would be handy. A graph view would have a center line of 0 and would show a line going above and below as the net value changes.

Bauer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Bauer »

+1 and +1

The two pieces of info I'm trying to extract from the p-window are:
- OEE
- inventory change rates

Talking about inventory. At some point I have so many items in my storage that I cannot see all inventory on the right hand window. It would be very helpful to see for every good next to the production rate (+OEE) the inventory (+change rate). And as an extra Sahnehäubchen the inventroy turnover (for proper inventory sizing).

Cleany
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Cleany »

So what, percentage of highest possible production?

Return to “General discussion”