PVP Duplicate starting entities? Not at all actually.

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Drakken
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

PVP Duplicate starting entities? Not at all actually.

Post by Drakken »

I want to thank the developers for recognizing that PVP really needs equal starting conditions for a balanced game to occur.

The duplicate starting entities option that was included in the 0.16.16 unfortunately falls way short. Unless the map generator is not working properly, both teams get a small area that is the same as the other team. But only one screen away the map is different for both teams. If one team has ready access to oil and the other doesn't it is game over. I hope this is a bug that can be fixed but I think it is WAD.

What PVP really needs is mirrored maps so both teams have equal opportunities. I know this limits the number of teams to 2 or 4 (due to mirroring) but it is necessary as different access to resources is EVERYTHING in this game.

Gergely
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: PVP Duplicate starting entities? Not at all actually.

Post by Gergely »

Mirrored maps? 0.16 introduced this new world generator so that we don't need mirrored maps or copied starting areas. Mirroring the map is the worst idea I have ever read. Starting resources can be copied over. I personally agree that they should contain oil, but it takes away from the fun of going out and building outposts outside the walls.

HurkWurk
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by HurkWurk »

the starting area (unless someone chooses poor resources or small) should always contain some amount of everything so that players can do enough for science to unlock the techs that make spreading out easier.

at least.. thats what the default should be... obviously we should always be able to break that manually.

Drakken
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Drakken »

Gergely wrote:Mirrored maps? 0.16 introduced this new world generator so that we don't need mirrored maps or copied starting areas. Mirroring the map is the worst idea I have ever read. Starting resources can be copied over. I personally agree that they should contain oil, but it takes away from the fun of going out and building outposts outside the walls.

So I have millions of coal, iron and oil within a couple of screens and you have to travel 12 screens away to get the same resources. You lost before we started playing together. You have no idea what good game design is.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Drakken wrote:I want to thank the developers for recognizing that PVP really needs equal starting conditions for a balanced game to occur.

The duplicate starting entities option that was included in the 0.16.16 unfortunately falls way short. Unless the map generator is not working properly, both teams get a small area that is the same as the other team. But only one screen away the map is different for both teams. If one team has ready access to oil and the other doesn't it is game over. I hope this is a bug that can be fixed but I think it is WAD.

What PVP really needs is mirrored maps so both teams have equal opportunities. I know this limits the number of teams to 2 or 4 (due to mirroring) but it is necessary as different access to resources is EVERYTHING in this game.
Honestly after playing several hundred hours now of the PvP, this is just fine
The starting areas are equal, and after that it is up to the luck of the RNG

But in general, resources are fairly homogenous on the scale of these games, so it is not like one team has absolutely no oil for thousands of tiles, while another has them very close.

And mirroring in a way is really boring, you know exactly where they will have an oil outpost, because it is exactly opposite your one,
As I see it, some asymmetry in the maps makes things more interesting, and generally does advantage one team significantly over another

xng
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by xng »

Klonan wrote: As I see it, some asymmetry in the maps makes things more interesting, and generally does advantage one team significantly over another
Why do you consider it good that the map gives advantage to one of the teams? I've never heard any game dev see PvP that way, or did I miss some new competitive genre or something?

Return to “General discussion”