Cargo Cable Car discussion

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
infinitehubgear
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Cargo Cable Car discussion

Post by infinitehubgear »

Cable cars have been mentioned a few times with belts vs bots, but I thought one thread to discuss in detail on how they could work would be good.

I can see it as being something between trains and belts in complexity and throughput. You'd probably need loading/unloading stations capable of filtering. Each car could contain a steel chest worth of items and a variable number of containers could go on the cables. Perhaps stations can store detachable containers. Researching cable car speed might be fun too. Because you could put multiple materials on this system, it could be a very compact and versatile bus, or a very large capacity sushi belt if you want to think of it that way.

I suppose its a variation of the pallets/containers idea, but might be a fun way of doing it and it could go in parallel to belts rather having to upgrade bets to yet another tier. Looking at old rusty cable cars, it could fit very nicely into the aesthetic of the game.

The Kalklinbanan, transported limestone to make concrete.

Longyearbyen, Svalbard. transported coal. The containers tip contents, I don't know if dumping directly onto belts would work?
Last edited by infinitehubgear on Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Cargo Cable Car discussion

Post by Zavian »

infinitehubgear
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by infinitehubgear »

Thanks, my forum search didn't find this topic!

quadrox
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by quadrox »

I don't believe in this kind of suggestion that aims to make logistic bots completely different from construction bots. We have construction bots, and nobody wants to see those gone.

A construction bot can grab and item from a chest, move it to the right location, and even construct it (place it on the ground and "connect" it) which intuitively seems a much more complex operation than simply dumping something in a container. Given this, it would be incredibly idiotic if something like logistic bots - which perform a much simpler task - could not exist.

Return to “General discussion”