A [Poll] about fixing the 0.16 world generator bugs

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.

Do you think that the world generator bugs should be fixed before 0.16 becomes stable?

No, it would break all current saves. (Wait for 0.17)
16%
Yes, unless the developers would change the world gen in 0.17 anyway. (Change it the least amount of times, and sooner than later if possible)
23%
Yes, I would like to play with a stable world gen As Soon As Possible. (Fix it in 0.16)
61%

Total votes: 88

Gergely
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: A [Poll] about fixing the 0.16 world generator bugs

Post by Gergely »

impetus maximus wrote:the preview is not necessarily what the world will look like. it's guesstimating.
Gergely wrote: :(
what makes you say that?
54664... again.
They just said that it is "most unlikely" to have it changed before 0.16 stable

Also, the preview is exactly how the world will look like. At least, that's the case in vanilla.
impetus maximus wrote:
MeduSalem wrote: I usually look into the map using the Map Editor first... allowing me to scroll endlessly... and then I just copy&paste the map string into a regular new game. :D
oh that's clever. ;)
You can do the same in sandbox mode (god mode) and you also have a reset button to regenerate your map with another seed. You can also save a map you like and extract the map exchange string. I believe you can't do the same in the editor.
Last edited by Gergely on Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

manpapper
Inserter
Inserter

Post by manpapper »

When will this problem be solved?
Personnally i thought it was one of the most important thing to fix but it doesn't seem to be the case...
I really hope they will fix this for 0.16

rldml
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by rldml »

manpapper wrote:When will this problem be solved?
Personnally i thought it was one of the most important thing to fix but it doesn't seem to be the case...
Twinsen wrote it earlier in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=56560#p335418

Short Story shorter: They fix it asap, but it still takes some time. Please have patience.

Gergely
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gergely »

rldml wrote:
manpapper wrote:When will this problem be solved?
Twinsen wrote it earlier in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=56560#p335418

Short Story shorter: They fix it asap, but it still takes some time. Please have patience.
But but bat but but buuut....

they just said they don't. Here: viewtopic.php?f=182&t=54664#p344574

:x

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by impetus maximus »

sad but true. world gen fixes pushed to 0.17
https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-235

break out the sand bags, for the flood of 'stable only' players bitching about ore.

zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by zOldBulldog »

For 0.16 experimental, keeping the cliffs is fine. As someone indicated, it is “play at your own risk”.

On the other hand, even though it could be difficult to do I would recommend that they eventually implement the ability to either run a the current and experimental versions “per map”, or that they implement the ability to make separate installs. That way we could run a “real world” in the current official version and a test world in the experimental one. Hopefully with the ability to carry blueprints between them.

But yes, cliffs and resources are a bit messed up in 0.17. I created a world 1-2 days ago and...

— I had a hard time figuring out where to layout a main bus. I had either cliffs or enemy aliens on the way.

— Resources near spawn were pityful. I setup about 20 radars before finding some decent size deposits. Good thing I started the match with “no enemy expansion”. Even so, I ended up having to mine resources from right next to aliens - while building my first smelter line, and before even using the bus!!! - and it was clear that I would not get a chance to build my base before being overrun, so in frustration I used a command to disable the aggression.

If cliffs and starting resources can’t be fixed before 0.16 is fully released, maybe a band-aid could be to temporarily expand the “no enemies” starter area enough to ensure sufficient resources until the time when the player is ready to combat aliens. Maybe even add an option to “disable expansion into the starter area”, so that beginners can play it safe while hardcore combat players can choose to deal with the challenge.

Return to “General discussion”