Looking for opinion/recommendations

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
yamitri
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Looking for opinion/recommendations

Post by yamitri »

I have played before, haven't played in a few months but i wanted a general opinion and recommendation on this..

How many of you play vanilla factorio..? Is it fun or better than adding mods?

If you do use mods, do you use mods that only slightly alter the vanilla experience, perhaps just to increase stack sizes?

Looking for info as i'm just unsure about what my next factorio experience will be.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Looking for opinion/recommendations

Post by Koub »

The questions you ask cannot be answered. Or more precisely, they cannot be answered with a consensus. Many people prefer vanilla, many prefer mods ranging from non game changing, to QoL, to a quasi full rewrite of the contents with a huge pile of new content. In the end, everyone has his own preferences. It's as asking "should I go for Android or Iphone for my smartphone ?". Just a matter of preference :).
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

I play all three options, vanilla, light QoL mods, things that are more game altering but in a small to moderate way like RSO/SpaceX/Orbital Ion Cannon/bot starts/accelerated start mods and large modpacks like Bob+Angels and Seablock (which includes Bobs + Angels + SpaceX). I find all enjoyable. Obviously other people will have differing opinions. If you have never used mods, and want a change from vanilla, then you might want to look up some of those on the mod portal. But probably best to decide what sort of mods you think you might be interested in first. SpaceX extends the vanilla game with a new victory condition that requires multiple rocket launches, and a lot of research. Bobs + Angels gave me the thrill of learning a new game feeling again, but to do that it changes and extends virtually all of vanilla recipes, and adds a lot of new ingredients and assemblers.

Frightning
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Frightning »

If you haven't played the vanilla experience through to endgame since 0.15 landed I'd recommend giving that a go as 0.15 changed the feel of that progression quite a bit (in good ways).

purdueme91
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by purdueme91 »

I generally play heavily modded games (Bob, Angel/Bob and SpaceX) for most of the time. Then when a new release comes out I generally switch back to Vanilla so the mods can be updated.

I find that the difference between the two types of play is in modded you are always automating something new even 50-70 hours into the game. Especially with SpaceX. In vanilla, you are optimizing and just trying to get your factory to produce more stuff faster. So it really two different play styles because the goals are so different.

I also find that I start out in vanilla that I am going to just play with real basic QoL mods (long reach, picker, squeak through, YARM and adequate bot start). Then you add in bucket excavators because they look cool. Then you add in helicopter so you can fly all over the map...and then you are not really vanilla anymore.

Already debating my next game. I was thinking just Spacex +SCT. But then I see Angel has added even more stuff but then need to go with Bob's for the full effect. So probably going to be a full slate of Bob/Angel/SpaceX/SCT next time.

HurkWurk
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by HurkWurk »

after discovering the squeak through mod, i never played vanilla again. too much blocking that didnt make any sense and only made the game artificially limited. (to me anyway)

since then, i have mostly modded to add depth to the game, i use a lot of bobs mods to add more of everything (factory mark 1 through 6, most other buildings at least to mark 3, etc)
most of the mods i use do the same thing in different ways: allow you to do more in less space, but not cheaper.

I use a few "cheats" as well, but only due to lack of good alternatives. i have the ability to create water. the ability to create resources, etc. but they all use some resources to do, and i dont build moats. so again, its space compression, being able to build a resource where you need it, laid out in a square to setup your miners easier, etc, help with base layout. (and in my case, spawning materials inside factorissimo buildings)

OBXandos
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by OBXandos »

I've been playing .15 with a few mods.
Induction Coil - Allows you to charge your power armor batteries from the base electric grid. Its great in between solar and personal fusion.
Bigger batteries - Just adds larger capacity batteries for large input costs.
Electric Vehicles - Car, Train, and Tanks that can be powered by electricity. Combine them with the Induction Coil mod and you can make a true electric train network.
Vehicle Grids - Adds an equipment grid to the vanilla vehicles

I think when I decide to start a new map I'll add in Resource Spawner Overhaul in from the start and remove the Vehicle Grids. Loading a tank up with Fusion power and personal laser defense on top of the player's personal laser defense is just way too overpowered.

Return to “General discussion”