Game Idea

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
unknowntrojan
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Game Idea

Post by unknowntrojan »

Hello Guys,

Today i came up with a good Idea for Factorio, which might change the game a little.

That would be, that your rocket is not efficient enough to go home (scrapping the idea of a satellite here) which means that you have to go from planet to planet until you reach Earth or an outpost by humans. The added length would be combated with limitations of some planets, like some resources missing (like coal), which you would have to either:
- Send from the last planet or
- Use an alternative.

That idea might seem pretty boring, but i think the amazingness of the idea lies in implementation rather than the idea itself.

Thank you for reading this.

-unknowntrojan
Steam Turbines do not consume Steam as of 0.16.12. You can connect them infinitely for infinite power.

Master
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Game Idea

Post by Master »

Sounds interesting, but not easy to implement

There is a own forum category for suggestions like this :D

CremionisD
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by CremionisD »

unknowntrojan wrote:Hello Guys,

Today i came up with a good Idea for Factorio, which might change the game a little.

That would be, that your rocket is not efficient enough to go home (scrapping the idea of a satellite here) which means that you have to go from planet to planet until you reach Earth or an outpost by humans. The added length would be combated with limitations of some planets, like some resources missing (like coal), which you would have to either:
- Use an alternative.

That idea might seem pretty boring, but i think the amazingness of the idea lies in implementation rather than the idea itself.

-unknowntrojan
This is my first post on these forums. The idea here was too interesting for me to ignore.

So, expanding on it a bit more...

I would not remove the satellite. Instead the satellite might map a you one potential target as the next planet. This scan might only give you information similar to what you set in the world generation options. If you don't like it, launch another satellite etc... Also, let's not forget space-science - It might be needed for stargate research.

A "stargate" device would be added to the game: You construct a stargate to your factory; It should probably require very large amount of power to run (Several GW's to open, and rising amount of power to keep open, so that it can't be open forever no matter how good your power plant is).

Of course, the target planet does not have a stargate that would allow you to get back but you would be able to take a "receive only" stargate with you to the next planet that would allow materials to be sent from the original factory to the next one, but it cannot transport anything back (Except maybe circuit signals).

Therefore, you need to construct a second stargate on the new planet to allow transportation back to your original base. (This can be optional, if your original base is sufficiently automated and defended by all means, skip this)

And in order to get to the next planet, you need more launches from the "new" planet. One might get home after a couple of "hops" like this.

---

As for implementation, Factorio already has mods that intorduce "caves" and "factory" buildings. I think the same underlying system might be used to implement this(??). If this is true, then this idea should be in the "moddable" realm..

unknowntrojan
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by unknowntrojan »

CremionisD wrote:
unknowntrojan wrote:Hello Guys,

- Use an alternative.

-unknowntrojan
This is my first post on these forums. The idea here was too interesting for me to ignore.

So, expanding on it a bit more...

I would not remove the satellite. Instead the satellite might map a you one potential target as the next planet. This scan might only give you information similar to what you set in the world generation options. If you don't like it, launch another satellite etc... Also, let's not forget space-science - It might be needed for stargate research.

A "stargate" device would be added to the game: You construct a stargate to your factory; It should probably require very large amount of power to run (Several GW's to open, and rising amount of power to keep open, so that it can't be open forever no matter how good your power plant is).

Of course, the target planet does not have a stargate that would allow you to get back but you would be able to take a "receive only" stargate with you to the next planet that would allow materials to be sent from the original factory to the next one, but it cannot transport anything back (Except maybe circuit signals).

Therefore, you need to construct a second stargate on the new planet to allow transportation back to your original base. (This can be optional, if your original base is sufficiently automated and defended by all means, skip this)

And in order to get to the next planet, you need more launches from the "new" planet. One might get home after a couple of "hops" like this.

---

As for implementation, Factorio already has mods that intorduce "caves" and "factory" buildings. I think the same underlying system might be used to implement this(??). If this is true, then this idea should be in the "moddable" realm..

That Addition is awesome. Well, probably not going to be implemented, at least not by the game devs.
Steam Turbines do not consume Steam as of 0.16.12. You can connect them infinitely for infinite power.

Return to “General discussion”