[POLL] Concrete in 0.16

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.

We need a version of the old, clean looking concrete back in the game!

No we don't - stop moaning
26%
The concrete should be changed back to look the same as it was
21%
There should be a third option for "plain concrete slabs" or something similar
53%

Total votes: 212

Cleany
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

[POLL] Concrete in 0.16

Post by Cleany »

First things first - I love this game, and my current map has like 300 hours or something ploughed into it.

So I went to have a look at the new stuff after the 0.16 update mainly to see if the optimisations made my huge map play any better than 40 UPS, and by Godfrey if it isn't back to 60, it's fantastic, and I'm glad they brought out the update early.

However moving around my factory I find it so harsh on my eyes to look at, as to be unplayable. I want to try out the new nuclear fuel and artillery, but I can't look at my factory.

Why? I covered it mostly in concrete so that it looked neat and tidy (I like things neat and tidy), and now, because of the updated concrete, it look ghastly. As a backdrop for my factory it is horrible, the terrain looks neater. As for my neat roads I built, they look a mess.

So please please please can we have an option for something that looked like the old concrete. Something tidy and plain for us tidy and plain types. I notice in one of the forum threads that someone has made a mod, but I don't want to use a mod, I like the vanilla game and my achievements. I haven't used any mods on purpose for the hundreds of hours of gameplay that I have put in.

PLEASE BRING BACK AN OPTION FOR SOMETHING THAT LOOKS LIKE THE OLD CONCRETE
Last edited by Cleany on Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Cleany
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Concrete in 0.16

Post by Cleany »

Oh and just as a further note, my factory has hundreds of thousands of tiles of concrete laid over many hours by thousands of construction robots. So if there is a third option I am aware that I may have to get them to lay many, many more, costing a lot of electricity.

But that would be a small price to pay to have the lovely and tidy looking concrete back to pave the floor of my factory!

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Engimage »

Cleany
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Cleany »

PacifyerGrey wrote:There is a mod for that (c)
https://mods.factorio.com/mods/kumpu/NewOldConcrete
as I said ..
I wrote:I notice in one of the forum threads that someone has made a mod, but I don't want to use a mod, I like the vanilla game and my achievements. I haven't used any mods on purpose for the hundreds of hours of gameplay that I have put in.

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Engimage »

Cleany wrote:I notice in one of the forum threads that someone has made a mod, but I don't want to use a mod, I like the vanilla game and my achievements.
There is a reason why this thread is pinned
I want to make suggestions, but I got links to mods!! :(

Cleany
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Cleany »

PacifyerGrey wrote:
Cleany wrote:I notice in one of the forum threads that someone has made a mod, but I don't want to use a mod, I like the vanilla game and my achievements.
There is a reason why this thread is pinned
I want to make suggestions, but I got links to mods!! :(
Ok thank you, however:

This isn't a request for something new, it is a discussion around whether it would be preferable to revert or revisit a graphical change released in an update that has been game breaking for more than one player.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

I would really help the poll if it would include some pictures. A lot of people are waiting for the favorite mods to update to 0.16 before updating or don't want to play with all the bugs still there. So many don't have any ideas what you are talking about.

Cleany
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Cleany »

mrvn wrote:I would really help the poll if it would include some pictures. A lot of people are waiting for the favorite mods to update to 0.16 before updating or don't want to play with all the bugs still there. So many don't have any ideas what you are talking about.
Ok well I am at work so I can't take any screenies, but OK:

NEW:

from https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-214

OLD:

As a base for covering huge areas of factory floor, it is not practical, and painful on the eyes as a background.

Actually if you look at this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D51rAF_xL4A you will see comments anticipating the problem:
i certainly hope they just add it as decorative concrete and change the name of the original concrete to industrial concrete or something
The issue is that it's not a "clean" look. End game, you are covering everything in concrete to clean up your base. Doing the concrete this way would defeat the purpose.

As I said I love this game (873 hours), and I hate to be critical, but it seems like this could be a case of do because you can rather than because it's good.

Players used concrete to cover huge areas of their factory - because it looked plain!

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

The new concrete would be great as stone brick. That's what it looks like

Someone suggested that the new stone brick graphics could be another primitive floor that only needs raw stone to build

Cleany
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Cleany »

Serenity wrote:The new concrete would be great as stone brick. That's what it looks like

Someone suggested that the new stone brick graphics could be another primitive floor that only needs raw stone to build
Hmm that's a thought.

0.16 stone bricks could be changed to use just raw stone (stone cobbled floor?)
0.16 concrete could be changed to use stone bricks (stone brick floor?)
0.15 concrete could be concrete slabs - just like it was!

cbhj1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by cbhj1 »

my 2 cents about the new concrete:

1. it doesn't look like concrete for industry, more like uneven sidewalk. expecting a clean, smooth, and sturdy foundation for the factory
2. its look doesn't match its stats. it boosts speed, but looks like it would wreck your car or induce faceplanting

side note regarding 1: with the removal of the tile correction logic, the decoratives are even harder to remove since smaller numbers of tiles are affected with each placement/removal, would prefer 100% removal of decoratives that are on the tiles being paved

Daid
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Daid »

I personally think both the new concrete and the new stone-path look bad. Not because they look "messy" (everything in factorio looks messy) but because they don't look like backdrops.

It's a floor, it should be distinct as a floor. Right now the new concrete and stone-path have a pretty large amount of contrast, with dark areas. Only objects used to be that dark, not the floor. The floor should be background, not eye-catching.

aober93
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aober93 »

Looks better than the old concrete at least.

Cleany
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Cleany »

Daid wrote:I personally think both the new concrete and the new stone-path look bad. Not because they look "messy" (everything in factorio looks messy) but because they don't look like backdrops.

It's a floor, it should be distinct as a floor. Right now the new concrete and stone-path have a pretty large amount of contrast, with dark areas. Only objects used to be that dark, not the floor. The floor should be background, not eye-catching.
Yep

HurkWurk
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by HurkWurk »

actually i think you are on to something even better here... scalable concrete slabs!

lets see standard "new" concrete. then later in the tech tree we have your industrial concrete which comes in :
1x1, 3x3 and 5x5 squares with no seams.

Angamara
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Angamara »

First of all Factorio is the baby of the staff, although we can give our opinion, because after all, it's a free world. First of all, we must understand and respect the choice and the decisions concerning the vision of the game and the universe that the developers want to produce.

On the other hand: It is important to note the generosity of the staff to want to produce a quality game, while listening to their community.

Yes, it is difficult to find concrete that is not smooth on google image.
Yes, this new concrete model is beautiful and decorative.
Yes, in real life it would be difficult to build on a floor that seems in relief.
Yes, a factory is a workplace in which practical and functional are more important than beauty and entertainment.

Let us note the evolution of the use of the game that make the players, it is with the mods or the scripts.
All players do not have the same goal and some can spend hours making every detail clean and beautiful even if there is no use for it. (The sims - Factorio DLC)

I do not think we need to replace the new decor with the old one.
I do not think we should abandon the old set.
I think we should keep the current decor and in a future release add another type of soil, including the old concrete.

The game will continue to evolve, new entity will make their appearance and the most interesting choice (in my opinion) would be to have a new entity category in the build menu

The decoration category:
Containing Soils (stone, concrete 1, concrete 2, concrete 3, etc.), lamps, fences, gardens, fountains, civil buildings, and any other idea related to customization.

TheKingOfFailure
Inserter
Inserter

Post by TheKingOfFailure »

Personally I love the idea of decorating my factory. Sure, the factory's main purpose is to make things, but it could look good doing it. I'm all for adding several new tiles and things for decoration (I love the More_Floors Mod https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Tone/More_Floors ) I've always been a fan of Rollercoaster Tycoon and similar games. Adding more decoratives could really add to the aesthetic of the game, give us a resource sink and add a new concept to the game. (I'd love a statue of the player to put near my border/main entrance just to mock the natives :twisted: :twisted: )

But I do agree that this is not the right texture for main factory flooring.

JimBarracus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JimBarracus »

tar roads could be a new feature
made out of crude oil and coal

the new concrete should give you a speed penalty because it looks so bumpy.

Lav
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Lav »

JimBarracus wrote:tar roads could be a new feature
made out of crude oil and coal
Players' reactions to new concrete were overwhelmingly negative when it was announced, and that hasn't changed much. Still Wube doesn't seem to care. So I'm afraid that if they implement asphalt roads they might pick something like this for inspiration:
Source image for Wube-style asphalt
So you know, just in case: don't give them ideas. :-)

Cleany
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Cleany »

Angamara wrote:First of all Factorio is the baby of the staff, although we can give our opinion, because after all, it's a free world. First of all, we must understand and respect the choice and the decisions concerning the vision of the game and the universe that the developers want to produce.
It's pretty much the best game out there, I keep toying with the idea of if it is my favourite game of all time. Not only that but following the FFF it's easy to see what has gone into it.

It's clear why they made the new concrete how it is, the mechanics when it comes to tiling and the edges are fantastic, and the sense of satisfaction achieved is palpable in creating it.

This is why criticism isn't made lightly.
Angamara wrote:On the other hand: It is important to note the generosity of the staff to want to produce a quality game, while listening to their community.
The fact is that there is no option for players who wasn't a light, neat backdrop to their factory, and to help decorate areas they want to seem uncluttered.

Taking all of the above into account, perhaps this is why the third option has over 50% of the votes.

I tried again last night, I can't look at my factory now - the new concrete, among other things, is simply too dark.

I am trying to strike the balance between being grateful for a game that has enthralled me for nearly 900 hours, and acknowledging that the game is now broken for me, as putting down concrete was one of my first goals, to make the factory look acceptable, and to be able to split it up into uniform areas.

Return to “General discussion”