[POLL] Concrete in 0.16

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.

We need a version of the old, clean looking concrete back in the game!

No we don't - stop moaning
26%
The concrete should be changed back to look the same as it was
21%
There should be a third option for "plain concrete slabs" or something similar
53%

Total votes: 212

Cleany
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [POLL] Concrete in 0.16

Post by Cleany »

Zavian wrote:
That I could test my assumptions using a poll.
But you can't. This type of poll will always suffer from some type of selection bias. Most players will never visit the forum. Of those how do visit the forums, most won't read this thread, and won't be bothered to vote. Most of the players who do vote, and most of the players who do comment on threads like these are players who are annoyed by the changes. Witness the fact that this thread has 1400 views and only 116 votes. You have no way of determining how many players like the change, or how many players don't care, because both of those groups aren't even likely to vote or even read the thread.
Everyone knows polls aren't 100% accurate, does that mean nobody uses them or pays any attention to them? Why does it matter to you so much?

roman566
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by roman566 »

Sonik-HSC wrote:This new concret floor can be called everithing in this universe but not concrete floor.... ;-)
If someone I hired to make a concrete floor showed me that kind of result, he would be kicked out faster than you can say 'you're fired', and I would be asking for a refund.

milo christiansen
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by milo christiansen »

OK, first: The new concrete looks nice, but it doesn't really seem like concrete to me. On the other hand, concrete should not be a perfectly smooth slab with no cracks. Concrete needs expansion joints every so far to prevent it from cracking due to temperature changes, so there is a perfect justification for a grid pattern.

I voted for "stop whining", but I now wish I could change it to voting for a third floor type, probably making the new concrete stone brick, and existing stone brick an early game "cobble stone" material made from raw stone.

Sonik-HSC
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Sonik-HSC »

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=55580&p=329095#p329095 here its an amazing job of concrete floor!

Tinyboss
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Tinyboss »

milo christiansen wrote:On the other hand, concrete should not be a perfectly smooth slab with no cracks. Concrete needs expansion joints every so far to prevent it from cracking due to temperature changes, so there is a perfect justification for a grid pattern.
Plus, the grid was one of the main attractions for me. I liked laying out a grid to build on. Banishing the tiled look from the natural map (terrain and especially ore patches) was a good thing, but in this case, it was a benefit and I miss it greatly.

DustFireSky
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by DustFireSky »

The new concrete colors are much better than the old one. But the other players are right, the concrete looks like the cobbles and not concrete. Concrete has a smooth surface(the fresh one, not the 30 years old one :mrgreen: ). It should be changed a little bit. Not to the old style, but slightly changed. More concrete than cobbles please :lol: Smoother with little decals.

malventano
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by malventano »

Zavian wrote:
That I could test my assumptions using a poll.
But you can't. This type of poll will always suffer from some type of selection bias. Most players will never visit the forum. Of those how do visit the forums, most won't read this thread, and won't be bothered to vote. Most of the players who do vote, and most of the players who do comment on threads like these are players who are annoyed by the changes. Witness the fact that this thread has 1400 views and only 116 votes. You have no way of determining how many players like the change, or how many players don't care, because both of those groups aren't even likely to vote or even read the thread.
That's no reason to ignore/dismiss the poll results.
Allyn Malventano
---
Want to improve fluid flow between pumps / across longer distances? Try my Manifolds mod.

tk0421
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by tk0421 »

I found a solution.

use terrain options to make your world all dirt.

use options to turn off decoratives.

clean, uniform, eye pleasing ground everywhere now. and dont have to waste time/materials making concrete.

Arlenlarge
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Arlenlarge »

Yeah!! It looks better than the old concrete one.

Cleany
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Cleany »

I made lighter coloured concrete: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=58364&p=347328#p347328

Jürgen Erhard
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Jürgen Erhard »

"Our concrete way or the highway"

zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by zOldBulldog »

I do agree that flooring is quite unrealistic in factorio, making it look weird.

For well designed flooring I would intuitively expect:

- Stone :. Something that looks either like a gravel road / pad or something that looks like the stone streets (round rocks packed tightly) that you see in some old European cities.

- Concrete:. Flat, smooth. The old concrete wasn't bad but I would even expect it without lines.

- Structured Concrete:. This one I would expect to be preformed slabs. The current ones look good.

Return to “General discussion”