Desertification of old saves

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
golfmiketango
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Desertification of old saves

Post by golfmiketango »

One thing I've observed in my old save in 0.16 is that the unavoidable "desertification" that occurs in older bases due to pollution, landfill, deforestation, etc., combined with a large amount of terrain explored before red desert terrain generation was added, has led to a particularly barren, low contrast terrain everywhere in my base.

By desertification I don't mean that my terrain has become a desert (in the sense of desert terrain type); in fact, everything seems to be grass, mostly, and it all looks identical and kinda boring and gross.

I suspect there was something about grass that felt slightly less "blah" in 0.15 -- perhaps it was a slightly more saturated? Or the decoratives were different? I haven't done a detailed comparison. So I guess I can't even put my finger on what exactly it is that's bothering me. But I'm pretty sure I don't like it and it feels drab and boring. At first I thought I just wasn't used to 0.16 and I'd learn to like it but I'm starting to have my doubts.

Has anyone else experienced this "feeling"? Here's an example of the type of thing I'm seeing everywhere.

Desertification Example
Desertification Example
Desertification.png (5.3 MiB) Viewed 1536 times
[/url]

These chunks were originally generated in the early 0.15 days (should be clickable for those who might want to see a big screen full of puke green nothingness at higher resolution :P).

Is it just me? Anyone have any ideas about how I could "fix" this aesthetic problem? Obviously one idea is: I could deconstruct my entire base, jam it into a bunch of trains, and the reconstruct everything elsewhere in the map; presumably this would result in getting fresh 0.16 terrain generation, right? And on top of that I'd be free from the effects of all those game-years (I presume) of pollution, wierd effects of laying and removing concrete over and over, etc.... alternatively, does anyone know of any lua technique to force terrain regeneration using the latest-and-greatest algorithms?

golfmiketango
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Desertification of old saves

Post by golfmiketango »

golfmiketango wrote: Has anyone else experienced this "feeling"? Here's an example of the type of thing I'm seeing everywhere.
I just realized that when I most get this "feeling" it's usually night-time. But in 0.16 I lost the Power Armor MK3 mod which has a "less desaturated night-vision MK2" appliance. Bet you that is the "hard to put my finger on it" aspect of this subjective impression. I still think even in the daytime my base's terrain is pretty darn boring-lookin'. But I have a lot of deforested, landfilled empty space in my base. Maybe it's time to get serious about paving the world... :)

JimBarracus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Desertification of old saves

Post by JimBarracus »

I think they made grass much cleaner.
In 0.15 you could see some sand spots on the grass tiles and in 0.16 it looks like you're in a golf club.

Return to “General discussion”