The mandatory 0.16 F5ing thread

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
PunkSkeleton
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: The mandatory 0.16 F5ing thread

Post by PunkSkeleton »

Turbofant wrote:
PunkSkeleton wrote:4. Since it's not released today then it must be released tomorrow (Wednesday) because Friday is weekend and Thursday is almost Friday so it is almost weekend... At least that's how we do it in telecom releases :).
Sounds very much like the Unexpected hanging paradox :D
But it's true. That's how important software is being released. Release it in the night then make a decision whether stay with it or rollback before the traffic rises.If stay then either fix minor bugs (if any) or just observe the environmemt, ask all the other systems if they observe something strange etc. It takes time and you may do it only doing working hours unless agreed before.
Now when a bug is discovered on weekend then numerous people get a call and get angry at you. You don't want that. You'd also didn't want to be called on weekend.

In case of Factorio those other systems are players and they want it playable on weekend and on evenings. So release in the morning (not that many people playing then), fix critical bugs before evening (local peak) and have next 2 days to fix those really important but not critical before weekend when most people have time to play.

iseebelts
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by iseebelts »

PunkSkeleton wrote:
Turbofant wrote:
PunkSkeleton wrote:4. Since it's not released today then it must be released tomorrow (Wednesday) because Friday is weekend and Thursday is almost Friday so it is almost weekend... At least that's how we do it in telecom releases :).
But it's true. That's how important software is being released. Release it in the night then make a decision whether stay with it or rollback before the traffic rises.If stay then either fix minor bugs (if any) or just observe the environmemt, ask all the other systems if they observe something strange etc. It takes time and you may do it only doing working hours unless agreed before.
Now when a bug is discovered on weekend then numerous people get a call and get angry at you. You don't want that. You'd also didn't want to be called on weekend.

In case of Factorio those other systems are players and they want it playable on weekend and on evenings. So release in the morning (not that many people playing then), fix critical bugs before evening (local peak) and have next 2 days to fix those really important but not critical before weekend when most people have time to play.
The concept of "read-only Friday" comes to mind too. If you don't want to spend your weekend debugging production problems don't deploy unless you really mean to!

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

iseebelts wrote:...The concept of "read-only Friday" comes to mind too. If you don't want to spend your weekend debugging production problems don't deploy unless you really mean to!
On the other hand, when you have a service to deliver, you prefer having a full weekend for debugging if the release doesn't go as well as intended, instead of having to do the same thing on monday, with your clients asking for updates every 5 minutes.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Gergely
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gergely »

Turbofant wrote:
Assume they want to surprise us.
You will never know if the next day is the release date.
They can release it this week. (Until friday, because "next week" started on previous friday)

They can't release it on friday, because we would know it by then. We would not be surprised, because we knew it on thursday if they don't release it by then.
They can't release it on thursday either, because they can't release it on friday, so by wednesday we would know.
They can't release it on tomorrow because they can't release it on thursday, so we would know that they release it tomorrow.

I concluded that they are not going to surprise us. :x

cjmaeder
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by cjmaeder »

Gergely wrote:
Turbofant wrote:
They can release it this week. (Until friday, because "next week" started on previous friday)

They can't release it on friday, because we would know it by then. We would not be surprised, because we knew it on thursday if they don't release it by then.
They can't release it on thursday either, because they can't release it on friday, so by wednesday we would know.
They can't release it on tomorrow because they can't release it on thursday, so we would know that they release it tomorrow.

They could just release it and not tell anyone :)

Andrzejef
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Andrzejef »

Now THAT is something to consider.
No, they wouldn't do that, would they? Tho if they did, no one would ever notice....

PANIC!!!!!!!!!

JimmyJoJameson
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by JimmyJoJameson »

I'm just gonna grit my teeth and wait for the holidays so I have something to play while I stuff my face full of delicious Christmas foods.

Gergely
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gergely »

Gergely wrote:
Turbofant wrote:

Oh no! They did surprise me!

Sunder1977
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Sunder1977 »

/thread

HammerPiano
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by HammerPiano »

I guess i can stop pressing F5 and download the game!!

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Sunder1977 wrote:/thread
Indeed
[Koub] Topic locked
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Return to “General discussion”