Since .15

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Keeper
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Since .15

Post by Keeper »

Ever since .15 came out, with its new recipies for everything I have not been able to get into the game.
I admit i was addidcted before, but when the .15 came out there was no withdrawl lol it was like the drug was just gone.
At first i told myself i'd get used to the new recipies after i launch my first rocket, the new recipies will probably work out better.
I generally like building mega factories, however even a lil starter factory is really pushing me because i can't get used to the added complex recipies - i'm pretty sure i put it on normal when starting the map.
Everything seems like its got that extra ingredient and it makes the builds more spigetti which is what i try to avoid in the mega factories.

Did anyone else have this problem? I cant get used to the new recipies, every time i start the game i feel like im on the edge of a big cliff and to scrap the last attempt and start again - again.
Whilst i thought moar science packs was good, in my latest i just got 3rd science mods, and its a sprawling mess. I cant find my way round my own factory already :/ Want to start again.. but dont...

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Since .15

Post by 5thHorseman »

Personal friction, fighting back against change, is a very normal thing. Especially if you played the game a LOT before the change.

Another possibility is burnout. Maybe you've just had enough of the game. It's sad but people aren't really built to do the same things forever. I don't play any games that I played 5 years ago, and precious few from more than 1 year ago.

Blue Science can be a bit of a chore, but I have done it several times without (much) spaghetti. I've done it in a rail world twice, and with robots once. I don't see why - with a bus thought out for 15.x and not 14.x - it can't be done in a mega factory.

Gergely
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gergely »

Same here.

Almost. I did start a new game when 0.15 came out with my own creative-mode scenario to test new and old mechanics, and I still visit it every so often.

I just don't start another "real" session.
However, this caused me to replay and re-experience a lot of games I played several years ago this summer. And those games even lack replayibility.

I currently think that the cause of this weird withdrawl is the feeling that 0.16 will ruin every save anyway. The game is in early access, nothing is fixed, and 0.16 will bring a new map gen which will glitch every old save because the devs don't care about old players. I think it will be much better when they stabilise 0.16. Then, even the virtual world arround you will feel fresh with that new world-gen coming this way.

Keeper
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Keeper »

I did give the game a break cos of life. It just happened to co-enside with .15 release.
Recently been missing my old mass production engineering, and give it a few evenings - much to my hardship. Non the less, still missing my old mega factory and looking to beat the old production numbers - whilst keeping ups up! Couple of the mods didnt update, and the whole place kinda stopped so i had to start again lol.

It is a learning curve - in regards to what to bus and what not to. Numbers not being my strong point i tend to make a load of something, and see weather its enough. So for example to make electric engines theres a few stages in there, where i wonder to make certain stuff on site, or to bus in certain other stuff. Then making certain stuff on site makes the build bigger and seem more inefficient :/ Its all factorio i suppose, but I hope they dont plan on medling with the recipies again. I'm a slow learner :P
I usually start with a bit of a bump armor and few robots but i started with nothing this time so it is slow.

HurkWurk
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by HurkWurk »

i no longer play without mods.
the best i can tell you right off, is use most of bobs modes WITHOUT the new complexity mods. IE do NOT use ores, fluids, electronics or modules.

this is my current mod list, and i find the flow extremely easy going and not an issue for spaghetti:

air-filtering (anti pollution tech)
auto-research (selects new research, allows you to set what sciences to use)
BigBags (more bag space everywhere and 10x stack sizes)
BlueBuild (auto build at 10 items a second within player reach)
BobAssembly (new machines mark 1-5 for most)
BobEnemies (new aliens that scale up, get long range and AOE attacks, etc)
BobInserters (adjustable inserters, no more designing around a left to right placement)
BobLibrary (required)
BoBLogistics (fixes logistics research, adds new robots NOTE you need to adjust mod settings in game to turn off new robot recipes in the mods panel this is set once and then used from then on)
BoBMining (new mining machines mark 1-4)
BobPower (new power machines mark 1-4)
BobVehicleEquipment (adds module placement for vehicles and equipment)
BoBWarfare (a whole new set of weapons and Mark 1-5 turrets and ammo NOTE this adds complexity and spaghetti for the ammo, but you dont need to use it, you can use the old ammo with the new weapons.)
Bullet-Trails (better looking shots)
Crafting_Speed_Research (learn to craft in your hands faster)
Factorissimo2 (put everything in giant buildings and only output results! great for space management, my "mega base" fits in the starting area)
Laser_beam_Turrets (like bullet trails, makes lasers fire lasers not blaster bolts)
LoaderRedux (automated loaders that put stuff into/out of boxes/factories without inserters at full belt speed. also allow factories to hold a full stack of a material)
Mini-machines (2x2 versions of 3x3 machines, etc, with less performance and capabilities. great for small things)
ShinyBoXGFX (makes all bobs mods Mark 1-5 things color coded and labeled for much easier at a glance progression and ability. you dont have to mouse over something to find out what mark it is.)
Shift_Tool (makes painting things easier as it will automatically make corners on roads, etc, when drawing ghosts)
Squeak_Through (move around anything)
TextPlates (put text lables on the ground)
TurbinePriority (makes nuclear power use up to 100% before steam turns back on, rather than load balancing with it)
upgrade-planner (allows replacement of placed objects with other objects by highlighting the map, great when upgrading mark 1-5)
Warehousing (huge storage places, can input and output on all sides for easier main bussing)
Waterfill (create placeable water, WARNING you can kill yourself, and its easy to cheat with, but with factorissimo, i find this is a must as i have not found a groundwater pump outside of bobs fluids that i liked and i dont like all the complex fluids.)

GurlPower
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by GurlPower »

So full disclosure: 0.15 broke my factory, and it took me a good 15 hours before I gave up redoing everything because so many recipes were wrong. Everything was so wrong that I just gave up a 96 hour save that was the first to have me send multiple rockets.

But I do have to say that restarting from scratch is weirdly painless, and after less than 20 or 15 minutes and I had automatic power generation with electric drills and everything. The early game seems so much faster, and I do really appreciate that.

Keeper
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Keeper »

I feel your pain fellow factorian. My old place had an obsurd amount of time spent on it, and was in tatters when i reloaded it.
I suppose i brought it on myself i knew the mods might not update, and while i did find replacements or actual updates, it would be work to fix it all.
I embrased spaghetti!
And infact gone a little crazy with it. It was the only way, and now all i have to get around is the indecision on where and how to start the big builds yay the fun bit

Thanks for mods, I might get factorissimo - does it help UPS/fps? If i put say 1500 smelters setups in a bunch of those sheds would it be the same as them all being placed on the surface, or not?
I wont bother with bobs yet, still holding off. Might get textplates, and ohh warehouseing forgot that one, thanks.
Im currently using:
Advanced machines & electrics (i got this for high tier solars & upgrade modules, so as instead of having a solar biome, is to have a solar mk8 biome lol)
Big wooden powerpole (think 9x9 reach only needs wood to make)
Distance plus (longer underground belts)
Drones (remote control drones with arms and backpack around the base that act like yourself)
Launch control (think this is to auto launch rockets)
Loader Redux (*googles* oh testing loaders, might not keep this if its too easy)
Long reach (interact with anything on screen)
More Floors
Power armor mk3&4
Score extended no idea
Fat controller (do i need this now? It was rather buggy in .14)
WaterWell (Oh god im a cheat. But you get the purest water from underground springs!)
Yea, have fun, thank you!

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

I don't play with many mods. Scrolling through that huge official list is daunting. But there are a few I can definitely recommend to just about anyone.

Easy going mods:
- Squeak Through
- Extended reach
- Water fill

Fun mods
- Helicopter
- Nuclear powered tank (part of factorio extended: military)
- Space Extended

Great Utility mods
- Creative mode
- F.A.R.L.

Return to “General discussion”