Small annoying things in Factorio

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Dreepa
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Small annoying things in Factorio

Post by Dreepa »

First of all: Yes, Factorio is great. But you can always improve, right?

What annoyed me so far:

-Crashing with the buggy into things and damaging both (even at super low speeds!). Need to drive super careful :(
-Driving against a tree and coming full stop.
-Hacking away little fallen trees and stuff in big ore fields. Annoying!
-Pulling along an electricity line with poles, but not wanting to have gaps in coverage between them, which means playing each of them individually, rather than click&hold-drag.
-Having to manually sort my inventory over and over. Stack-all button would be so awesome!
-Navigating through a maze of pipes.

Xeorm
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Small annoying things in Factorio

Post by Xeorm »

What do you mean by sorting your inventory? Can understand the others and they are indeed annoying, but I don't have to organize my inventory.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Dreepa wrote:-Crashing with the buggy into things and damaging both (even at super low speeds!). Need to drive super careful :(
Do you own a car in real life ? Crash into something, even at low speed, and you'll see if you don't damage it. Best time is at lowest speed possible, on icy snow. Tested myself, even at 5 km/h (walking speed) it breaks things.
Dreepa wrote:-Pulling along an electricity line with poles, but not wanting to have gaps in coverage between them, which means playing each of them individually, rather than click&hold-drag.
I +1 that one :)
Dreepa wrote:-Having to manually sort my inventory over and over. Stack-all button would be so awesome!
Spoiler
Dreepa wrote:-Navigating through a maze of pipes.
Underground pipes FTW :)
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Gergely
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gergely »

Dreepa wrote:-Crashing with the buggy into things and damaging both (even at super low speeds!). Need to drive super careful :(
Problem?
Dreepa wrote:-Driving against a tree and coming full stop.
Do not drive into trees then.
Dreepa wrote:-Hacking away little fallen trees and stuff in big ore fields. Annoying!
In Factorio version 0.16, starting areas will have very few trees. By the time you need to clear up forests, you will have your construction bots.
Dreepa wrote:-Pulling along an electricity line with poles, but not wanting to have gaps in coverage between them, which means playing each of them individually, rather than click&hold-drag.
Place the electricity consumers first. After doing so, the electric poles will lay out to provide electricity to every one of them.
Dreepa wrote:-Having to manually sort my inventory over and over. Stack-all button would be so awesome!
Options > Other > Always keep player's main inventory sorted. Inventory overhaul is coming in 0.17!
Why did you build a maze of pipes?
Xeorm wrote:What do you mean by sorting your inventory? Can understand the others and they are indeed annoying, but I don't have to organize my inventory.
1. He might be OCD
2. Say you have 80 iron plates. You can clearly pick up a copper plate then. Right? What if you have an iron plate in every slot of your inventory? THEN?!
3. Working with multiple incomplete stacks is annoying. You can use your hotbar if you want to divide stuff.
Fact: I am also using autosort. (So disregard point 1)
Last edited by Gergely on Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bman212121
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by bman212121 »

I'd say most was already answered, but tress in the ore fields? That's what grenades are for. You only need to level them up like once and you can 1 shot the trees.

hitzu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hitzu »

- Cobblestone pavement visually is under the concrete. It should be vice versa. Logic is: cobblestone is a sidewalk and should be raised above the road pavement (concrete).
- 90-degree rail turns are not perfectly circular.
- Not be able to make a symmetrical working rail X-crossover (double/diamond crossover).
- Tier 1-3 assemblers look almost identical.
- Essential in contraptions power poles obstruct combinators.
- Electric switches don't save wire connections in blueprints.
- Personal bots sharing in the multiplayer.
- Short walls visually are not trustworthy.
- Even distribution mod still isn't in the vanilla ;)
- Chest-shooting stuff-deleting.
- "Couldn't establish network connection with server" :/

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

- Manually Placing things on a blueprint doesn't adopt the BP settings.
- Placing BP with settings over blank assemblers/etc. won't imprint the BP settings.
- No ETA clock for science. It's hard to tell of a marathon science project is working or stalled.

And my all time favorite:

- When you have an item in hand and bots fill your inventory and you can't put the item away anymore
seriously bots WTF stop doing this to me :lol:

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

Realizing your blueprint has a single mistake, and having to recreate it entirely instead of quickly editing out that mistake.

Dreepa
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Dreepa »

Koub wrote:
Do you own a car in real life ? Crash into something, even at low speed, and you'll see if you don't damage it. Best time is at lowest speed possible, on icy snow. Tested myself, even at 5 km/h (walking speed) it breaks things.
Last time I checked, this is a game. About an engineer somewhere in the unknown building weird factories in a totally non realistic world. So what exactly is the point of arguing with realism? You can't even drive into water. You don't die if you crash into a wall at full speed. What is up with all the realism analogies? Don't get it. Factorio is not realistic AT ALL.
Gergely wrote:
Problem?
Sorry? Anything I can help you with?
Gergely wrote:
Gergely wrote:
Captain Obvious? You got too much time on your hand, or do you just like to spam other people with irrelevant replies?
Following your logic, the ultimate solution is: Don't play Factorio. Ok. Let's close this forum then. Let's not talk about the game, because master Gergely says so. Feedback is not wanted. Anything you want to say about the game? Just don't and stop playing Factorio. What an attitude. Why can't people just let other have their opinion on something? Is it narcissism? Is it lack of ego? Is it frustration in life? I will never understand.
No hard feelings, I just think it is very rude and shows a lack of manners in communication. So unnecessary, really.

Anyway, thumbs up to the people who add constructive stuff to the list.

Gergely
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gergely »

Dreepa wrote:
Gergely wrote:
Captain Obvious? You got too much time on your hand, or do you just like to spam other people with irrelevant replies?
Following your logic, the ultimate solution is: Don't play Factorio. Ok. Let's close this forum then.

Anyway, thumbs up to the people who add constructive stuff to the list.
You are totally right. I have way too much time on hand.
You can play the game without crashing cars into trees. Though that's not easy. I was being sarcastic.
I really don't get why would anyone build a maze of pipes and then complain about how annoying it is to navigate through. But let's not continue.

To add something to the list:
-Aliens move onto the railway tracks after a single one of them touches a train. After evolution factor reaches over 0.9, they can stop and destroy trains. You have to wall in all your tracks.

aober93
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aober93 »

When hitting a tree, i only dislike that repair bots come out, but you are faster than him

hitzu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hitzu »

Gergely wrote: -Aliens move onto the railway tracks after a single one of them touches a train. After evolution factor reaches over 0.9, they can stop and destroy trains. You have to wall in all your tracks.
There totally should be a vanilla solution for this. At the moment you can use any vehicle grid mod and equip your trains with power shields. It's bothersome and expensive though.

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

There's this annoying thing where you have a logistic request for an item and an auto trash option for the same item. It sets up an infinite loop where you request items and immediately throw them out and ends up a mess. I don't think logistic requests should be deleting autotrash or anything like that. I do think the request should hold a higher priority than the disposal so they'd stop fighting each other. There are times where I request an item and when I'm done I want to get rid of the rest.

So for example if I request 200 steel but autotrash to 100 steel, the current order should be to maintain between 200 and 200 steel. When the 200 steel request is deleted, the autotrash request goes back to maintaining 0-100 steel.

terror_gnom
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by terror_gnom »

It would be nice if the game sets the Trash amount to request amount ;)
also: Ability to pause Autotrash/Request

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

This isn't really Factorio's fault, but

Using the helicopter mod and flying over my base. Inserters will swipe items from the vehicle's inventory and lead to the entire base getting covered in choppa droppings. I want to lock the trunk!

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

bobucles wrote:- Manually Placing things on a blueprint doesn't adopt the BP settings.
- Placing BP with settings over blank assemblers/etc. won't imprint the BP settings.
- No ETA clock for science. It's hard to tell of a marathon science project is working or stalled.

And my all time favorite:

- When you have an item in hand and bots fill your inventory and you can't put the item away anymore
seriously bots WTF stop doing this to me :lol:
Install bluebuild2, you will never give it up again.

As for bots. Far worse is:

You pick up your last belt in your hand and then ghost place a belts. The personal construction bot takes it out of your hand and places it. Now you can't ghost any more belts.

PS: bluebuild does it right. It doesn't build stuff you have in hand, only stuff in your inventory or tool bar (which might be the same type as you have in your hand).

Nich
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Nich »

I just started playing factorio and look up at the clock....it is already 3am. The only thing I have accomplished is fixing mistakes from the past.

JimBarracus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JimBarracus »

-personal robots taking your last item from your inventory, especially anoying if you are in the stationary building zone
-lack of ghost items / no possibilty to create ghost items out of nothing

you cant carry every item in your inventory you can build and you can't request every item you need
automate everything and just have all the ghost items available

greaman
Inserter
Inserter

Post by greaman »

JimBarracus wrote: you cant carry every item in your inventory you can build and you can't request every item you need
Technically not a problem... you can have blueprints of all standard items in a blueprint book. Works for me.
I don't need that many anyways...

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

greaman wrote:
JimBarracus wrote: you cant carry every item in your inventory you can build and you can't request every item you need
Technically not a problem... you can have blueprints of all standard items in a blueprint book. Works for me.
I don't need that many anyways...
Still annoying. You have to build/get at least one entity, place it and make a blueprint from it.

But luckily the devs recognized that problem and I believe for 0.16 there is a redesign of the inventory pending that allows placing ghosts without having the item first.

Return to “General discussion”