Pipes are underused because they block movement

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Dreepa
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Pipes are underused because they block movement

Post by Dreepa »

I was noticing that basically everyone just uses pairs of underground pipes to get fluids to the target.
One big reason for that is that pipes are blocking movement.

I think it would do pipes good as a wholistic feature, to just get rid of path blocking. Either make the character go under them or above them. I think we would then see much more use of normal pipes.

PS: For underground pipes, some small graphic feedback on the sand/earth would be cool that shows where an underground pipe is going along (so you see it always, not just on mouse over).

Cheers

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Pipes are underused because they block movement

Post by mrvn »

Don't forget that an underground pipe counts as just 2 pipes (entry and exit) while covering more distance. Makes fluids flow faster / further and cost less UPS.

Dreepa
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Dreepa »

True.

So if we look at the attractiveness of overland pipes, it's really low. Why on earth would you use them?
Yet, it would be so cool looking if they are actually running through your base.

Maybe they can be put on an elevation, like electricity.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

mrvn wrote:Don't forget that an underground pipe counts as just 2 pipes (entry and exit) while covering more distance. Makes fluids flow faster / further and cost less UPS.
You need 10 pipes + 5 iron plates to build a pair of underground pipes, and maximum total length is the same as 10 iron pipes. so underground pipes are at least slightly more expensive than regular pipes. If you just have a 0-gap underground pipe, it's a LOT more expensive.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

Koub wrote:
mrvn wrote:Don't forget that an underground pipe counts as just 2 pipes (entry and exit) while covering more distance. Makes fluids flow faster / further and cost less UPS.
You need 10 pipes + 5 iron plates to build a pair of underground pipes, and maximum total length is the same as 10 iron pipes. so underground pipes are at least slightly more expensive than regular pipes. If you just have a 0-gap underground pipe, it's a LOT more expensive.
Which just goes to show how much better they are than regular pipes, as it's worth that cost - at least to me - without even considering it.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Koub wrote:
But they count as 2 pipes for a distance of 10 tiles. Means the liquid flows 5 times faster/further than with plain pipes. Something worth the 5 extra irons for long distances (and I mean long as in 20+ tiles long :). Below 20 tiles length it's just the advantage of being able to cross underground pipes that makes me use them.

Supercheese
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Supercheese »

They don't block your movement if you can Squeak Through!

Squeak Through was my first mod for Factorio, and was created for precisely this reason: I was annoyed as heck with pipe setups blocking my movement!

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Supercheese wrote:They don't block your movement if you can Squeak Through!

Squeak Through was my first mod for Factorio, and was created for precisely this reason: I was annoyed as heck with pipe setups blocking my movement!
But that changes everything. Some blockage is intentional and good.

I would rather see a mod that makes pipe behave like a brick road except with a 10% speed. A mod probably can't change the walking animation to climbing over the pipes but that would be even better.

rcp27
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by rcp27 »

The other huge nuisance with regular pipes is the inability to prevent them from connecting when next to each other. You can put belts right next to each other without cross contamination, but the only way to run pipes closely spaced is with underground’s.

Triaxx2
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Triaxx2 »

I'm surprised there's no Pipe Wrench mod to allow breaking normal pipe connections. Or vanilla functionality for the same.

BlakeMW
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BlakeMW »

I was so used to pipes being movement blocking that it took me an embarrassingly long time to realize that heatpipes don't block movement. Anyway it was interesting that the devs chose to make heatpipes non-moving blocking.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Triaxx2 wrote:I'm surprised there's no Pipe Wrench mod to allow breaking normal pipe connections. Or vanilla functionality for the same.
There are two mods for pipes that don't randomly connect but have specific 90° curves. One for base and on for angle/bobs pipes.

Dreepa
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Dreepa »

mrvn wrote:
Triaxx2 wrote:I'm surprised there's no Pipe Wrench mod to allow breaking normal pipe connections. Or vanilla functionality for the same.
There are two mods for pipes that don't randomly connect but have specific 90° curves. One for base and on for angle/bobs pipes.

I was always wondering why the devs do not collaborate with the mod makers to integrate such things into the vanilla game.

Dysan27
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Dysan27 »

Dreepa wrote:
mrvn wrote:

I was always wondering why the devs do not collaborate with the mod makers to integrate such things into the vanilla game.
They do for many mods, the new quick select came from a mod, and the replace both ends of an underground belt at the same time. For pipes I don't believe they will thought as I think they have said pipes work that way on purpose to make them a different challenge then belts.

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

I find that using squeak through doesn't make me use more pipes, so it isn't just the pathing that matters. I still lay belts everywhere, and don't use underground constantly, but I still constantly use underground pipes.

I don't actually know why.....
My Mods:
Modular Armor Revamp - V16
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

HurkWurk
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by HurkWurk »

Ranakastrasz wrote:I find that using squeak through doesn't make me use more pipes, so it isn't just the pathing that matters. I still lay belts everywhere, and don't use underground constantly, but I still constantly use underground pipes.

I don't actually know why.....
the same reason i dont use normal pipes.
1. they are inefficient.
2. they can accidentally connect to another pipe!

Return to “General discussion”