Please remove Steam authentication from mod downloads

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
PTTG
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Please remove Steam authentication from mod downloads

Post by PTTG »

Look, I'm not sure why I have to give you my steam password in order to download mods. I mean, if I don't have the game and I download the mod files, what am I going to do? Read the raw file by hand and just imagine what it would be like to play them?

It's nothing personal, but I don't trust you with my steam info. I'm sure you have the best of intentions, but your data security isn't perfect and it's not worth it to me to add another possible point of failure just for the mods. Which really sucks, because there's a lot of cool mods here.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Please remove Steam authentication from mod downloads

Post by Klonan »

PTTG wrote:Look, I'm not sure why I have to give you my steam password in order to download mods. I mean, if I don't have the game and I download the mod files, what am I going to do? Read the raw file by hand and just imagine what it would be like to play them?

It's nothing personal, but I don't trust you with my steam info. I'm sure you have the best of intentions, but your data security isn't perfect and it's not worth it to me to add another possible point of failure just for the mods. Which really sucks, because there's a lot of cool mods here.
You just have to login with Steam to verify the linking, which will upgrade your account,
We use Steams own website to do this login, and we don't store any of your details such as password. The only thing we get back from Steam is confirmation that you are the owner of the account, so we upgrade your account to download mods.

So, in essence you only have to trust us with our own account information, which at minimum is email, username, password and numerical SteamID

Return to “General discussion”