I wish I had the money.

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
shadetheartist
Inserter
Inserter

Re: I wish I had the money.

Post by shadetheartist »

Kyuubi43 wrote: I've watched this game over the years and for all the "development' i honestly haven't seen much change. at least not anything i didn't mod myself into the demo nor on my friends full version at his request.(Thank god for ADHD+Programming habits I gutted the Demo's code in a week out of ADHD Boredom fueled OCD. Still I HATE being that bored i do some really random things.)
If you're smart enough and have the work ethic to mod a game you don't even own why are you in such dire straights financially? I'm not sure where you're located but In America even junior programmers make a shit ton, like 40-60k usd. Forgive me if i'm overstepping my boundaries here but it seems like if you abstained or reduced the amount of leisure time (aka playing games) and worked at increasing your earnings you could then relax and buy factorio, not to mention you'd be in better shape overall. And i don't think it would even take a year for you to get to that point.

Idk it just seems like you could become a reasonably skilled programmer, you might even be one already, if you took the time you are bored and turned it into a skill instead of something un-monetizable.

rayan529
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by rayan529 »

You have to move to Poland then, after the currency coversion it's only $14 :) Easily became one of the best selling games there right away :)
Last edited by Koub on Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed sig

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

Here is a link to the thread in which the developers stated why they would not be participating in a Steam Sale:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=25334 Steam summer sale and factorio

I fully agree with their philosophy and also really love it that Factorio costs exacty 20 Euros instead of 19.99.

Kyuubi43
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Kyuubi43 »

shadetheartist wrote:
Kyuubi43 wrote: I've watched this game over the years and for all the "development' i honestly haven't seen much change. at least not anything i didn't mod myself into the demo nor on my friends full version at his request.(Thank god for ADHD+Programming habits I gutted the Demo's code in a week out of ADHD Boredom fueled OCD. Still I HATE being that bored i do some really random things.)
If you're smart enough and have the work ethic to mod a game you don't even own why are you in such dire straights financially? I'm not sure where you're located but In America even junior programmers make a shit ton, like 40-60k usd. Forgive me if i'm overstepping my boundaries here but it seems like if you abstained or reduced the amount of leisure time (aka playing games) and worked at increasing your earnings you could then relax and buy factorio, not to mention you'd be in better shape overall. And i don't think it would even take a year for you to get to that point.

Idk it just seems like you could become a reasonably skilled programmer, you might even be one already, if you took the time you are bored and turned it into a skill instead of something un-monetizable.

Because i live in the Military Capital of America and just to get my foot in the door of any IT related company without spending several grand to take Cert Tests and College courses is to spend years in crappy call centers and the like to get useless job XP so that the HR idiots will look at your Resume much less a job application. Heck i had to work pro-bono just for a 4 month internship at a software company call Mymic just to get SOME on paper XP and all they do is make high-end training software.

As to the work ethic i must restate I did it in a ADHD fueled boredom which anyone with ADHD knows isn't real work ethic. it was me doing whatever i could to end the insanity that was my boredom. Like i said i do some really random things when i get that boredom....normally at least 50 percent of the time it will involve some involuntary form of OCD style cleaning while my brain has a nervous breakdown of paranoia driven daydreams. I will be the first to admit i am not all there but where's the fun in normality.

shadetheartist
Inserter
Inserter

Post by shadetheartist »

Kyuubi43 wrote:
shadetheartist wrote:

Because i live in the Military Capital of America and just to get my foot in the door of any IT related company without spending several grand to take Cert Tests and College courses is to spend years in crappy call centers and the like to get useless job XP so that the HR idiots will look at your Resume much less a job application. Heck i had to work pro-bono just for a 4 month internship at a software company call Mymic just to get SOME on paper XP and all they do is make high-end training software.

As to the work ethic i must restate I did it in a ADHD fueled boredom which anyone with ADHD knows isn't real work ethic. it was me doing whatever i could to end the insanity that was my boredom. Like i said i do some really random things when i get that boredom....normally at least 50 percent of the time it will involve some involuntary form of OCD style cleaning while my brain has a nervous breakdown of paranoia driven daydreams. I will be the first to admit i am not all there but where's the fun in normality.
Oh ok, i assumed you were just exaggerating with the whole ocd /adhd thing. I don't know a lot about those inhibitions but it seems like the root of all your issues stems from your geographic location. If i were you i'd do whatever i could to immigrate elsewhere. Anyway it's not my place, i hope you find some fortune my friend.

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

Koub wrote:I do sympathize, depending on where you live, 20$ can be quite a lot.

Where I live, 20$ is :
- less than 2 tickets to the cinema
- half my Internet monthly subscription
- If I had a smartphone (which I don't), that's what one month subscription would cost me (on average)
- 1 day of food for my significant other and I
- The price of 3 cigarette packs (I don't smoke though)

For most people, it's mainly a matter of priorities, and the devs' work deserves these 20$
Damn you rich countries!
-I can't afford to go to cinema and i dont even want to know the price
-My internet cost $14 and that is fast 100/100mbit no limit
-No smartphone/phone/pay card screw this crap - our household have about $0.2 - $0.6 phone bill month
-3 days of food for me and mom (our food cost more than in Germany/Austria!)
-You can buy about 5 cigarette packs (if you feel like wasting money)

All in all I have name in the game because, hell if factorio does not deserve my money no other game does!

Xtrafresh
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Xtrafresh »

Kyuubi43 wrote:Because i live in the Military Capital of America and just to get my foot in the door of any IT related company without spending several grand to take Cert Tests and College courses is to spend years in crappy call centers and the like to get useless job XP so that the HR idiots will look at your Resume much less a job application. Heck i had to work pro-bono just for a 4 month internship at a software company call Mymic just to get SOME on paper XP and all they do is make high-end training software.

You have to have spent some real time in both european and western countries to understand how different things are. I feel your pain on the grind. Also, the ADHD/OCD stuff hits home. I'm not one to self-diagnose, but I absolutely get the "frantic project fuelled by nervous breakdown" bit. I would expect there's quite a few of us sprinkled through this community. I'm not sure why this seems relevant, just wanted to give a hat-tip to a fellow 'sufferer'. :mrgreen:

More on-topic: I LOVE that the devs are saying "the game is $20", and then stand by that price. I hope they don't ever change that stance. I also completely get that $20 can be hard to come up with at times, for whatever reasons. It's also super easy to come up with for many others, and nobody should feel guilty for that either, global economics are just fucked that way. I doubt that Steam charges $0.03 for Factorio in Bangladesh. Oh well.

So what do? USE the problem for the solution! I've seen many people say they would gladly pay more for the game. You probably could be succesful with a thread titled "will mod for game key".

shadetheartist
Inserter
Inserter

Post by shadetheartist »

cpy wrote:
Koub wrote:I do sympathize, depending on where you live, 20$ can be quite a lot.

Where I live, 20$ is :
- less than 2 tickets to the cinema
- half my Internet monthly subscription
- If I had a smartphone (which I don't), that's what one month subscription would cost me (on average)
- 1 day of food for my significant other and I
- The price of 3 cigarette packs (I don't smoke though)

For most people, it's mainly a matter of priorities, and the devs' work deserves these 20$
Damn you rich countries!
-I can't afford to go to cinema and i dont even want to know the price
-My internet cost $14 and that is fast 100/100mbit no limit
-No smartphone/phone/pay card screw this crap - our household have about $0.2 - $0.6 phone bill month
-3 days of food for me and mom (our food cost more than in Germany/Austria!)
-You can buy about 5 cigarette packs (if you feel like wasting money)

All in all I have name in the game because, hell if factorio does not deserve my money no other game does!
My internet 150d/15u is like ~100/month.
Phone bill, 70/month.
A decent lunch out is like $13-20

Vancouver, Canada. The third most expensive city in the world :I

Return to “General discussion”