One Billion Copper Wires produced.

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Dragony
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

One Billion Copper Wires produced.

Post by Dragony »

Hey,

by coincidence I saw "1.0G" on the all time production stat windows for copper wires. I wonder if thats a world record for a single player game or if someone already managed maybe much more? Also post your multi-player stats, but please also write how many players have been working on the fab.

Mods: None
Playtime: 500 Hours (Single Player)
Game type: Marathon (+Expensive)

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: One Billion Copper Wires produced.

Post by Koub »

Pics + Savegame or it didn't happen :)
Also you should definitely present us your factory, because it must be quite epic. We'd move this topic to "Show your creation", and you could become inspiration source for future generations of factorians.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

luc
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by luc »

Woa, I typically get bored after about 16 million coils (checking some old saves). A billion is a bunch of coils!

Dragony
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Dragony »

I think the speed factor is important if it gets boring or not. I am producing nearly 100k copper wires per minute and they all get used. Not just a stupid proof of concept design....

I have had no time yet to create screenshot or even made a video. I am researching worker robot speed 12 right now, which costs 640k bottles. The next one will probably cost 1.2M bottles, which would also be a cool screenshot.

But I have been playing for fun, not for efficiency or records. I am sure one who played especially for this purpose would have done much better than me.

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

How many science packs does your factory consume per minute?

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Now the interesting part will be at 2 billion (signed int32) and 4 billion (unsigned int32). When will it overflow?

olafthecat
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by olafthecat »

PLS give pics for confirmation
Gonna start playing again with 0.16 build.
That's all.

Dragony
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Dragony »

I never posted images before here, so I give it a try. I dont know if full resolution images work. Hmm we will see. I hope it only loads them on request. Each image has 1 MB.

I added a comment for every image.
Attachments
My power plant running on 98% capacity.
My power plant running on 98% capacity.
pplant.jpg (1.96 MiB) Viewed 6782 times
Parts All Time (1 Billion copper wires produced and used.)
Parts All Time (1 Billion copper wires produced and used.)
t_all.jpg (1.28 MiB) Viewed 6784 times
Parts 5s (90k copper wires per minute used. Thats 1500 wires per second...)
Parts 5s (90k copper wires per minute used. Thats 1500 wires per second...)
t_5s.jpg (1.22 MiB) Viewed 6784 times
Fluids All Time (11G water units produced. Obviously no uint32 used ;))
Fluids All Time (11G water units produced. Obviously no uint32 used ;))
f_all.jpg (1.13 MiB) Viewed 6784 times
Fluids 5s (1.0M water per minute used)
Fluids 5s (1.0M water per minute used)
f_5s.jpg (1.19 MiB) Viewed 6784 times

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

mrvn wrote:Now the interesting part will be at 2 billion (signed int32) and 4 billion (unsigned int32). When will it overflow?
It will overflow at 9 223 372 036 854 775 295 (~9e18), which is 512 (2^9) short of a signed Int64. That's actually kind of a bug, since Int64 should only overflow at ...807, and the documentation says it's a UInt64 (or a double for fluids I think), which should overflow at ~18e18. Not sure if that's worth a bug report though, since you'll probably never get to these numbers in a proper factory.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

GoldenPorkchop80
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by GoldenPorkchop80 »

daniel34 wrote:It will overflow at 9 223 372 036 854 775 295 (~9e18), which is 512 (2^9) short of a signed Int64. That's actually kind of a bug, since Int64 should only overflow at ...807, and the documentation says it's a UInt64 (or a double for fluids I think), which should overflow at ~18e18. Not sure if that's worth a bug report though, since you'll probably never get to these numbers in a proper factory.
Well, never say never. People have done even more impressive things on the internet. (See: HWNDU Season 3)
Contact me:
telnet.Telehack.com (My username is gpc80)
Steam
Twitch.tv
Reddit
Email:redrouster2000@gmail.com (Mods, Admins, and Game Devs ONLY! Anyone else will be blocked on my email, and on this forum)
Hamachi VPN: Please send me a PM for network info.
Forums: Send me a PM

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

GoldenPorkchop80 wrote:Well, never say never. People have done even more impressive things on the internet.
I'd say it is impossible for a single human being. It takes magnitudes greater than a lifetime of Factorio running continously in the background to reach the limit of 64 bit.

[edit]

If you run Factorio for 100 years in the background of your computer... you'd still have to produce roughly about 175 000 000 000 Copper Cables per minute. So 175 times what OP did in 500 hours but instead per minute.

If you manage to run Factorio for the next 5 billion years until our Sun exhausted all of its Hydrogen and our solar system slowly fades away... then you'd only have to produce about 3500 Copper Cables per minute.

If you'd do it at the rate of which OP is producing copper cables (~90 000/min judging from the pictures) it would take about 200 000 000 years.

Say hello to the post-human species who will talk about us like we talk about the Triassic/Jurassic extinction event 200 million years ago.

With other words: Fukken impossible.

I wonder if one would actually reach the physical limits and exhaust all resources of the entire map before one would actually reach the 64-bit overflow limit of the production statistics.

Doing the math on stuff like this makes one really think about the fate and purpose of our universe and our existence within it.

Marza
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Marza »

I come into this thread to see the billion copper wires and I find an existential crisis. Good job everyone.

That said, nice work OP! Can we grab some more screenshots of your factory and game world?

GoldenPorkchop80
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by GoldenPorkchop80 »

MeduSalem wrote:
GoldenPorkchop80 wrote:Well, never say never. People have done even more impressive things on the internet.
I'd say it is impossible for a single human being. It takes magnitudes greater than a lifetime of Factorio running continously in the background to reach the limit of 64 bit.

[edit]

If you run Factorio for 100 years in the background of your computer... you'd still have to produce roughly about 175 000 000 000 Copper Cables per minute. So 175 times what OP did in 500 hours but instead per minute.

If you manage to run Factorio for the next 5 billion years until our Sun exhausted all of its Hydrogen and our solar system slowly fades away... then you'd only have to produce about 3500 Copper Cables per minute.

If you'd do it at the rate of which OP is producing copper cables (~90 000/min judging from the pictures) it would take about 200 000 000 years.

Say hello to the post-human species who will talk about us like we talk about the Triassic/Jurassic extinction event 200 million years ago.

I wonder if one would actually reach the physical limits and exhaust all resources of the entire map before one would actually reach the 64-bit overflow limit of the production statistics.

Doing the math on stuff like this makes one really think about the fate and purpose of our universe and our existence within it.
Did you forget about

Code: Select all

/c game.speed=X where X is the speed multiplier
I sure didn't.

If you do the math, and assuming that you own a generously beefy computer, and assuming you had a mod installed that allowed infinite ore in ore patches. Taking your equation:
MeduSalem wrote:If you run Factorio for 100 years in the background of your computer... you'd still have to produce roughly about 175 000 000 000 Copper Cables per minute.
And assuming that you did make a steady 175 BILLION Copper Cables per minute, I made a list of times that would show the time it would take for each game running at a certain speed multiplier.

At...
  • 1X speed: 100 Years
  • 2X speed: 50 Years
  • 4X speed: 25 Years
  • 8X speed: 12.5 Years
  • 16X speed: 6.25 Years
  • 20X speed: 5 Years (I refuse to go beyond 20X speed, because frankly, this is almost on the level of a quantum computer or supercomputer.)
For each speed multiplier, add 1-2 years for maintenance, PC restarts, and acts of god (power outages, internet outages, natural disasters).
Still, if you were to run the game nonstop at 20X speed, you would reach the buffer overflow in 5-7 years! That is extremely quick, considering that this is x86-64 we're talking about; this stuff was designed to last when it comes to buffers and variables. Just keep that in mind.
Contact me:
telnet.Telehack.com (My username is gpc80)
Steam
Twitch.tv
Reddit
Email:redrouster2000@gmail.com (Mods, Admins, and Game Devs ONLY! Anyone else will be blocked on my email, and on this forum)
Hamachi VPN: Please send me a PM for network info.
Forums: Send me a PM

GodricSeer
Inserter
Inserter

Post by GodricSeer »

GoldenPorkchop80 wrote:
MeduSalem wrote: Did you forget about

I sure didn't.

And assuming that you did make a steady 175 BILLION Copper Cables per minute, I made a list of times that would show the time it would take for each game running at a certain speed multiplier.
You are assuming that 175B copper cables per minute would be runnable at all. That is enough to feed a factory capable of about 800M science per minute. I would consider about 10k spm about the upper limit of what could be run at speed. Once you start lagging in UPS, changing the game speed won't help.

So at about 2M copper cables per minute (about what is required in a 10k spm base), you are looking at 2.8e14 seconds or about 9 million years.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

please show me a computer that can do even 175 Billion Copper cables per minute at even 1 game speed.

Also remember that seriously beefy computer (and supercomputers) almost always have lots of cores, but typically they have similar single threaded performance than a modern desktop. And Factorio is essentially a single threaded application.

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

GoldenPorkchop80 wrote:Did you forget about

I sure didn't.
Well, obviously I was assuming no commandline stuff or mods. Of course changing the gamespeed would speed up things and would require a less beefy factory.

But like has been said above already... I don't think that a 175B Factory is really do-able performance-wise.

So you are more likely to be bound to efficiently producing a few million Copper Cables per minute before any realistic computer reaches a maximum throughput per minute.

ledow
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ledow »

Where are you going to put all the byproducts of making/storing/using billions of copper wires?

I think you'd run out of RAM before your machine uptime mattered.

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

ledow wrote:Where are you going to put all the byproducts of making/storing/using billions of copper wires?

I think you'd run out of RAM before your machine uptime mattered.
If I had to do it I would actually build an entire factory and produce science as a natural resource sink... and spend all the research on Robot Speed and Mining Productivity.

That way you could maybe improve on the UPS margin over time due to robots becoming faster and faster... which would allow to extend the factory and produce even more copper wires and science per minute.

And the Mining Productivity would become necessary to ensure not to run out of resources since the map is not really infinite and you'd probably run out of resources long before reaching the 64 bit overflow.

That remembers me that I actually wanted to suggest being able to auto-conduct science without manual input... and that labs also need to output wethether they are conducting science or not.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

GoldenPorkchop80 wrote:
MeduSalem wrote:

[edit]

Did you forget about

I sure didn't.

If you do the math, and assuming that you own a generously beefy computer, and assuming you had a mod installed that allowed infinite ore in ore patches. Taking your equation:
MeduSalem wrote:If you run Factorio for 100 years in the background of your computer... you'd still have to produce roughly about 175 000 000 000 Copper Cables per minute.

At...
  • 1X speed: 100 Years
  • 2X speed: 50 Years
  • 4X speed: 25 Years
  • 8X speed: 12.5 Years
  • 16X speed: 6.25 Years
  • 20X speed: 5 Years (I refuse to go beyond 20X speed, because frankly, this is almost on the level of a quantum computer or supercomputer.)
For each speed multiplier, add 1-2 years for maintenance, PC restarts, and acts of god (power outages, internet outages, natural disasters).
Still, if you were to run the game nonstop at 20X speed, you would reach the buffer overflow in 5-7 years! That is extremely quick, considering that this is x86-64 we're talking about; this stuff was designed to last when it comes to buffers and variables. Just keep that in mind.
Well, make the factory smaller, use god modules, use another recipe that produces more (like bearings in Bobs mod) and then really crank the speed up all the way. Also make the map limited with an infinite ore patch.

I wonder how many UPS you can do with a 32x32 map.

Nasabot
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Nasabot »

This is the reason why copper cable need a nerf!

No, seriously:
I'd really like it if the recipe gets changed to:

1 Copper-> 1 copper cable (+ adjusting all other recipes to this)

I dont see how the inflation of copper cables are a good thing. In my opinion the only thing this does is limiting possible belt based solutions for your factory.
The copper cable inflation unnessary reduces the number of designs!

Return to “General discussion”