Maybe idiot question?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Foreros
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Maybe idiot question?

Post by Foreros »

I have got an idea in my mind.
So I'm here for ask someone.
There's a way to use the 0,14 core mod in the 0.15 engine?
The game is really different, so this can make Factorio a multigame with various ways to play.
Actually I'm using both .14 and .15, but the .14 engine is a little limited (you cant have more than 255 new items using mods, over all), but the game mechanics are funny.
Less science packs, forced interaction with natives for latest tecnologies, totally different ways to do things basically.
Then what if I want use the old "core" data with the new engine?
And what if someone make a new "core engine" based on different principles for going on with the game life?
This, for me, is a thing to think carefully, after all. The "old way" is not in the path of the new game, but why trow it totally away?
What do you think if this is made possible again?

Xeorm
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Maybe idiot question?

Post by Xeorm »

It'd be quite difficult to make a past version work with a current version, as the game isn't sure which bits you want to keep and which need to be thrown away.

However, it should be very simple to mod in the changes that you do want if that's the case. The design work is mostly done afterall, so you don't have too much to do.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

In theory you might be able to move data from 0.14 to 0.15.
You would need to apply all the differences that were in prototypes before those versions which might be a lot of work.

Foreros
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Foreros »

orzelek wrote:In theory you might be able to move data from 0.14 to 0.15.
You would need to apply all the differences that were in prototypes before those versions which might be a lot of work.
I've to learn a lot for doing it, but I wont trow away the intention. It's an incentive for speed up my learning. :D

Return to “General discussion”