Trains are even more lethal than you thought!

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Selvek
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Trains are even more lethal than you thought!

Post by Selvek »

Ok, am I the only one who thinks trains take corners a bit too fast?

A rocket-fueled single locomotive has a top speed of v=298 km/hr. The radius of a train curve is about 11 tiles = 11 meters (R=11m)

Lateral acceleration as you take the curve is v^2/R = (298 km/hr ^2)/(11 m). Plug this into wolfram alpha, it handles the unit conversions, and out comes... 63.5g. Even a lowly coal train pulling 4 wagons at 214km/h gives you 32.7g.

Looking around a bit, I found this point of comparison: "According to a recent article in Popular Science, 14 Gs of lateral acceleration can tear your organs loose from one another."

That is all :)

MinotaurBlack
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Trains are even more lethal than you thought!

Post by MinotaurBlack »

i dont think we need scientific proof to know that the trains would be very very leathal if one would take turns like that IRL :D

funny you did all the math, no idea if its correct, but nice effort nontheless ;)

FrodoOf9Fingers
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by FrodoOf9Fingers »

I can certainly see it. But we are talking about a man who survived an uncontrolled descent from orbit, maybe humans from the future are made of tougher stuff?

Or maybe...

He's really in a coma after falling such a distance and is only dreaming of making a factory within a couple of days that can launch rockets.

Xeorm
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Xeorm »

Oh quite. I think even looking with a naked eye one can tell that those trains going around corners are moving too fast. At least, I know I think that when I see them.

For some reason, this topic reminded me of: https://what-if.xkcd.com/43/

Selvek
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Selvek »

Factorio trains would crush that train loop :)

Incidentally, I referenced https://what-if.xkcd.com/116/ while writing that post. I'd be willing to bet there's a strong correlation between Factorio fans and XKCD fans.

SeigneurAo
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by SeigneurAo »

Selvek wrote:Ok, am I the only one who thinks trains take corners a bit too fast?

A rocket-fueled single locomotive has a top speed of v=298 km/hr. The radius of a train curve is about 11 tiles = 11 meters (R=11m)

Lateral acceleration as you take the curve is v^2/R = (298 km/hr ^2)/(11 m). Plug this into wolfram alpha, it handles the unit conversions, and out comes... 63.5g. Even a lowly coal train pulling 4 wagons at 214km/h gives you 32.7g.

Looking around a bit, I found this point of comparison: "According to a recent article in Popular Science, 14 Gs of lateral acceleration can tear your organs loose from one another."

That is all :)
I'm ready to bet that you would die in a massive train crash before having to worry about organs tearing apart : the trains should definitely derail at the speed they go in the curves. Centrifugal force is a bitch.

HurkWurk
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by HurkWurk »

and yet behemoths still stop them cold....

arbarbonif
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by arbarbonif »

The best is running out of track. Train stops instantly from full speed and neither you nor the train takes the slightest bit of damage.

Kratos Aurion
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Kratos Aurion »

SeigneurAo wrote:I'm ready to bet that you would die in a massive train crash before having to worry about organs tearing apart : the trains should definitely derail at the speed they go in the curves. Centrifugal force is a bitch.
Centrifugal force is nonexistent.

BlakeMW
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BlakeMW »

Kratos Aurion wrote:
SeigneurAo wrote:I'm ready to bet that you would die in a massive train crash before having to worry about organs tearing apart : the trains should definitely derail at the speed they go in the curves. Centrifugal force is a bitch.
Centrifugal force is nonexistent.
Ah, but the centripetal force is quite real.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

hooiberg
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Trains should go slower through curves

Post by hooiberg »

Trains go at ludicrous speed through even the sharpest of corners.

It would be nice to have them slow down a bit for curves.
This would also encourage players to build nice straight rails, and to sacrifice other things for it (landfill, cliff removal, biter extermination) for the reward of speed.

For your enjoyment about fast trains, imagine this going over a rail roundabout. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8skXT5NQzCg

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Merged into older topic, same subject.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

golfmiketango
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by golfmiketango »

I think the way trains whip around corners as if their center of gravity were a mile underground makes perfect sense in factorio. Saying "but it would tear apart your organs" is like saying "putting 100 locomotives in your pocket might rip your pants" -- a ridiculous lie meant to confuse me into giving you my fish.

That's right, I'm onto you Selvek, and the rest of you I am also moderately suspicious of. But you can't have them. They're mine, I manually ordered my flying robots to pluck them from the sea by planning their deconstruction in tiny artisan batches, and you will never taste them!!

:shock:
:?
:|

Actually, if you had some tartar sauce maybe we could work something out....

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Actually, I have always had the feeling the wat trains negociate right angled tracks felt a little too Tron-ish.
I know a game is a game, and there is always need of some temporary suspension of disbelief in order to have some fun, I can do with stacks of locomotives in my inventory, but I could do with the need to turn at moderate speeds with the trains. Plus I feel it would add to encourage long straight rail lines instead of convoluted-full-of-roundabouts- lines. But It's just a personal preference from someone who almost doesn't use trains, so I don't want to be flamed by people saying "you ask for a nerf for a feature you don't use".
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

golfmiketango
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by golfmiketango »

Koub wrote:Actually, I have always had the feeling the wat trains negociate right angled tracks felt a little too Tron-ish.
I know a game is a game, and there is always need of some temporary suspension of disbelief in order to have some fun, I can do with stacks of locomotives in my inventory, but I could do with the need to turn at moderate speeds with the trains. Plus I feel it would add to encourage long straight rail lines instead of convoluted-full-of-roundabouts- lines. But It's just a personal preference from someone who almost doesn't use trains, so I don't want to be flamed by people saying "you ask for a nerf for a feature you don't use".
That is how most other train sandbox games work and in those it's an intuitive and even fun minigame to speed your trains up by optimizing track design. But most of those have more fully-developed elevation and inertial physics than factorio, and also support very high maximum turn radii which factorio does not give you a lot of choices about for the moment :)

Even so, I confess, after a brief visit to the local sushi bar, that I find myself more open to this possibility.

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by impetus maximus »

Koub wrote:Actually, I have always had the feeling the wat trains negociate right angled tracks felt a little too Tron-ish.
having grown up loving model trains, i would love to see the trains take turns at lesser speeds. of course make it optional in world setting as not to piss anyone off. ;)

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

How about banked curves or something?
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

HurkWurk
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by HurkWurk »

Jap2.0 wrote:How about banked curves or something?
runs counter to how trains actually turn. if you counter the angular momentum, they just jump the track, because the turning works by a wheel being forced against the rail
https://www.popularmechanics.com/scienc ... ks-wheels/

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

HurkWurk wrote:
Jap2.0 wrote:How about banked curves or something?
runs counter to how trains actually turn. if you counter the angular momentum, they just jump the track, because the turning works by a wheel being forced against the rail
https://www.popularmechanics.com/scienc ... ks-wheels/
Wow, that was very interesting! I never really knew how that worked. In that case, can you please explain this, this, and this?
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Return to “General discussion”