Extreme Ribbon World

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Baile nam Fonn
Inserter
Inserter

Extreme Ribbon World

Post by Baile nam Fonn »

I'm considering undertaking a new-to-me challenge in the form of a 10-tall ribbon world.
Has anyone here already done this? If so, did you encounter any serious and unforeseen roadblocks?
An oil refining scheme I want to try, absent the necessary signals and smarts

ledow
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Extreme Ribbon World

Post by ledow »

You're gonna need a lot of all the three tunnel belts. Get used to nesting them on the same row!

Baile nam Fonn
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Baile nam Fonn »

ledow wrote:You're gonna need a lot of all the three tunnel belts. Get used to nesting them on the same row!
Er.. actually, my core strategem going in is to completely avoid belts, relying instead --when I'm forced to-- on short-range bot work to do stuff like supplying the rocket.
I'm envisioning a cramped and super stretched rail dominated factory that relies heavily on smarts-driven choreography. In other words, a ghastly extreme case map to submit to the devs. :geek:

Greybeard_LXI
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Greybeard_LXI »

I remember someone else did a 9 wide ribbon world. That is the size of the rocket silo, so you can't get any smaller. Check the forum since December 2016 to find his (Her?) post if you want details.

sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sparr »

Your screenshot makes me once again annoyed that signals go on their own tile rather than on the rail tile.

Baile nam Fonn
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Baile nam Fonn »

Greybeard_LXI wrote:I remember someone else did a 9 wide ribbon world. That is the size of the rocket silo, so you can't get any smaller. Check the forum since December 2016 to find his (Her?) post if you want details.
Can you provide any more details? I searched threads within the last year for "9 wide ribbon world", "ribbon", "9 wide", "tiles", "rocket silo", and "silo", and couldn't find it. :(

edit:
I should've started with google. There's a highly relevant nine month old reddit post right at the top of the results.
This factory is exactly what I was looking for! :D Except, far too many pipes and belts for my taste. And boxes (I don't want any of those).
And wooden poles. On my map, every tree (save one) that I encounter will die violently, under the gun or the fire or the grenade. But not the tank.
I'll disable biters (how can you take them seriously in a ribbon?) and not bother with non-train vehicles.
And I'd prefer not to fall on solar power if I can help it. And no void water for me! I want the good ole' from a blue tile stuff.
So one of the initial challenges is gonna be finding a seed that puts stone (and iron and copper) before water.

I'm not going to try a 9 wide vertical ribbon. I simply vastly prefer the side profile of Factorio's trains over the bird's-eye profile. Plus there's track symmetry to consider.

ledow
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ledow »

Baile nam Fonn wrote:
ledow wrote:You're gonna need a lot of all the three tunnel belts. Get used to nesting them on the same row!
Er.. actually, my core strategem going in is to completely avoid belts, relying instead --when I'm forced to-- on short-range bot work to do stuff like supplying the rocket.
Is it going to be viable to put down roboports in a ribbon world? That's a lot of width to lose.

Baile nam Fonn
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Baile nam Fonn »

I'll only need bots to load the silo and... is there anything else? I'm not sure that there would be, except for train transfer stations. High throughput wouldn't be critical in those situations, would it?

Return to “General discussion”