electricity are cheap

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Hellatze
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

electricity are cheap

Post by Hellatze »

do you think they are cheap ? because nuclear reactor will give 1 year worth of electricity, so i can ignore electric problem after i make 2 of it.

Ifalna
Inserter
Inserter

Re: electricity are cheap

Post by Ifalna »

Well NPPs are an endgame powersource, DESIGNED to basically take electricity out of the base design equation.

You get working reactors at the point where you are almost done with launching your rocket anyway, so they are more intended for the open ended sandbox gameplay.
The backbone of modern industrial society is, and for the foreseeable future will be, the use of electrical Power.

Krazykrl
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Krazykrl »

Well... due to the UPS cost of all the associated logistics related to nuclear. Nuclear is actually "Early Endgame" power.

Late Endgame power will probably always be Solar/Accus, due to the fact that solar requires like one calculation per tick; instead of each nuke plant, and the supporting logistics to feed the nuclear reactor, take its heat away, simulate that heat, shove that heat into heat exchangers, convert the water that must also be moved, into steam that must be moved, into turbines that need to consume steam for each turbine individually... Solar is literally a single calculation per tick that's like (Panels * 60kW * Brightness).

DeathMers
Inserter
Inserter

Post by DeathMers »

There is only one situation, when there is enough energy and this is when there is enough factory. Otherwise there is never enough energy, and when you start to expand in big, it is actualy still a problem ;)

Selvek
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Selvek »

I had 2 4-reactor NPPs running happily while I started designing the blueprints for my beaconed 10 sci/sec factory expansion.

Then I dropped the blueprints for the roughly 60 lanes of iron and copper smelting, and suddenly my "infinite" power resource started giving me low power alarms ;)

P.S. my original pre-NPP solar grid is still attached. Back then, I had enough accumulators to last the night, of course. When I built my first NPP, I had an SR latch connecting the NPP based on the accumulator levels (to prevent wasting the power from the solar panels). For a while, I had a couple of accumulator cycles per day with that setup. Now, the accumulators charge and discharge every 2-3 seconds :)

Conclusion - there is NEVER enough power!!!

rldml
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by rldml »

Hellatze wrote:do you think they are cheap ? because nuclear reactor will give 1 year worth of electricity, so i can ignore electric problem after i make 2 of it.
You change your mind after you start to think big.

At the moment, i'm preparing my first Pre-Megabase, so i build a 2x2-NPP-Setup for the first time. I don't believe that this is enough but it allows me to create a thought-out smelting-setup with patience.

Greetz, Ronny

Return to “General discussion”