Best alternative to Allegro

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
reaperrar
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Best alternative to Allegro

Post by reaperrar »

I've seen a few times some of the devs have mentioned that Allegro isn't the best choice to develop a game like Factorio with. Iirc, all it is used for is the rendering, audio, input and io.

My question to you guys (or a dev if they happen to swing by) is what is the best alternative (for Factorio) and why?
Last edited by reaperrar on Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Xeorm
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Best alternative to Allegro

Post by Xeorm »

Best engine choice for a game is always to grab one that's designed for your type of game. I'd be kind of surprised that there were any for games like Factorio, given it's uniqueness. Past a certain point, going homebrew tends towards the best option. Any other option would take too much time and effort to get swung into your own game if it's too different.

userasd
Inserter
Inserter

Post by userasd »

There is no best alternative.

Too many pros and cons and preferences and resources and etc. that it is too subjective to say that something is best.

reaperrar
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by reaperrar »

userasd wrote:There is no best alternative.

Too many pros and cons and preferences and resources and etc. that it is too subjective to say that something is best.
What's wrong with it being subjective? I'm asking for individual subjective opinions. Also I'd measure the "best" alternative to be the choice you'd go with if not Allegro in which case there is a best choice ;)

quinor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by quinor »

Sfml or plain opengl, for a project of Factorio size rather opengl. For anything smaller, sfml.

reaperrar
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by reaperrar »

quinor wrote:Sfml or plain opengl, for a project of Factorio size rather opengl. For anything smaller, sfml.
Interesting, although wouldn't there be a lot of effort spent on making the application work across multiple platforms and hardware if rolling opengl? I know that's one of the big things mentioned, something more proven would save a lot of time.

I'm curious to see if anyone else thinks UE4 would be a good idea given it has huge support and community, is indie friendly and allows development in C++.

quinor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by quinor »

I doubt, UE4 is 3d and factorio is 2d. Also, I'm worried about the performance.

Return to “General discussion”