Which factory design will yield the highest FPS?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
gexxo
Inserter
Inserter

Which factory design will yield the highest FPS?

Post by gexxo »

Right now, the only limiting factor for the size of my factory are FPS. I already have a high-end CPU, but nevertheless, I am down to 6 FPS. While everything til 10 FPS felt still playable, 6 FPS really no longer feels comfortable. Therefore, the question for this thread would be:

How can I raise the FPS of a factory? Which designs take less computational power per produced item? Bot? Trains? Belts? What else is a big CPU hog?

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Which factory design will yield the highest FPS?

Post by Koub »

First of all, there are quite a lot of optimizations coming with 0.16 (which will not be there immediately though, but sool enough).
The more ups/fps friendly conception for megafactories is currently :
- heavily beaconized setups allow you to get more with less entities,
- bots are less ressource-heavy than belts, especially where they shine (short distances)
- produce where you mine as much as you can,
- use trains between your local factories.

[Edit] Also please post your save here : viewtopic.php?f=5&t=17501 : You might provide the devs new optimization perspectives.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

d3x0r
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by d3x0r »

Watching a Katherine of Sky video She mentioned a few times that underground belts help with FPS. (since they don't have to draw the items on them).

Frightning
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Frightning »

d3x0r wrote:Watching a Katherine of Sky video She mentioned a few times that underground belts help with FPS. (since they don't have to draw the items on them).
Yes, if you want to use belts, this increases UPS, but I believe robots still win if used intelligently.
I suspect that a modularized, train fed, beaconized, robot served layout would produce the highest UPS for a given (large) scale of production.

Patashu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Patashu »

Also, solar/accu is better for UPS than nuclear because it has fewer moving parts to calculate. (In fact, I believe solar panels and accumulators that have the same charge are updated as a single entity, so building more does not change UPS.)

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

True, that was part of an optimization that came with ... 0.12-ish version if my memory does not fail me.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Return to “General discussion”