i find this game become boring after 100 hour.

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
featherwinglove
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: i find this game become boring after 100 hour.

Post by featherwinglove »

Xtrafresh wrote:Launching the rocket is supposed to be that "final boss", but it's just not doing the trick. The game hasn't really stretched it's legs by that point, and you feel like there's so much left to do... but no reason to do it.

This leads to people turning away unfulfilled, even though by any standard they have had their fill. Imagine anyone saying "I find DOOM to be boring after 100 hours". Yet for Factorio, the intuition is that there's MORE, but you can't quite get to it.
Well... (need a break to fetch the links 'cus this is hilarious as fdck.) As a guy who's played both Doom 3 and Factorio for over 100 hours, yeah. Doom 3 has only one cyberdemon. Only one guardian. By the way, (feature request: quickload) killed the guardian literally ten times while listening to Indestructible once. Too bad I didn't record it :(

What happened once I got "bored" of Doom 3? Well, I did some fanfic, remixed it with something cute, and stand to this day (eight years later) astonished at how well they go together. BTW, reached that point with Factorio. (I'm still writing Muddy Mountains, but uploading it is a pain, and reading it on a page with up to 200 huge image attachments is even worse. If you want me to post more, please comment on the thread to dilute the massive image load.)

Moral: if you're getting bored after 100 hours in a game and can't afford a new one, the problem is easily soluble. (If you're having trouble finding a good game, just shop at places other than Steam. BTW, if the game is shit (or otherwise: even Factorio isn't for everyone), you're going to get bored way faster than 100 hours!)

Curious: What changes to fMRI of hippocampus might result after 100 hours of Factorio?

boolybooly
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by boolybooly »

I have over 100 hours now and after completing a launch in default I started a new game with very different settings.

This changed the character of the game from meccano with menace to survival 4x exploration game which plays like more of a battle of wits and endurance.

All the spawning frequencies were set way down and made small but good for richness. I also made water low but big, as this creates interesting chokepoints.

I set the biters to spawn with low frequency but to expand and to evolve at +50% over the dangerous game scenario rate, though I reduced the penalty for extermination (spawner killing) to 5% of dangerous (though still higher than pollution and time) so there was more leeway for combat where necessary and it was possible and necessary in the early game to explore despite the hazard.

The whole point was to make the game less of a turtling and increase the need to actively go out and secure resources by fighting for them.

So far it is working and created an incredibly difficult start, with start site resources eaten up by a lake which spawned nearby, so that I had only one square of coal, and only 47k of iron and nothing in sight. For a while there I thought I would find nothing more...

Worst of all the coal spawned on an island and it was impossible to lay a belt only just possible to plant a burner mining drill and crate by reaching across from the shore. So desperate times, as it was difficult to automate and instead the production system became more of a tool kit for survival. Wood featured as a fuel for the early researches and it took a good while to find available deposits of coal and iron but when I did it was a big relief. Even then they are not big enough to sustain develoment and no oil is visible. But that is good as it forces me to go out to find some and meet the natives. :shock:

EDIT here is the map exchange string btw which carries all these settings as a starting point for anyone else who wants to try similar. You can copy paste it into the game generator and then delete the seed to get a unique map with similar settings. Saves a few clicks.
map exchange string in a code box

Foreros
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Foreros »

To be honest, the game CAN be a little boring, but if you play with mods you get a hard game change in the beginning and more hard time on the end. The AAI mods give a so radical change on game mechanics that exploring them fully and giving it the chance to work fully si incredible. Even having the fusion robots mod has given a new power to the game giving many more efficient, even if expensive, way to work with bots without having the pain of hundreds of robots waiting for recharge.
This, with all the imagination you can have, give to the game a so heavy concept change that become bored by it is much more longer than any other game I've played.
Ok, I have problems using the game for long times (and more problems for have strenght enough for close it and not going on until morning) but it is a new experience when starting it again.
I'm just working on finding my best way to build the perfect factory, but after this I will go on a military factory and going on exterminating enemies securing my land inch by inch.
Many peoples tell about a circle of laser turret, but if the circle is too big laser turrets are energy suching, so I've placed lot of gun turret, a circle of roboports for fix and replace them when damaged and destroyed and a circle of belts (faster is better) for feed them ammos when used and feed ammos to the bels fast enough. Is cheaper than feeding fuel to burners for steam engines, but a lot funnier because you need to improve bullet efficiency for keep them competitive with aliens. A row of turrets will give damage enough for deplete a leviathan before it bash 2 lines of walls...
Whit all of this to wxplore and develope how can you tell it's "boring"?
Maube you've not played the demo enough for get if this is a game for you.
I've played the demo until totally exausting the resources on the map, so when thinking if this game was funny enough for me, the choice has been easy to made.
BTW, thanks for your purchase, because you have let me play a little longer at least.
Thanks as contributor, if you chose to be no more a player.
And I hope you give the game a new chance in the future and come back again as a player.

arcturus_88
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by arcturus_88 »

I have played over 200 hours in factorio (I lost track after I stopped using steam to play it), and I don't feel bored at all. I guess the reason for that is because I would have a period of intense playing and then say 2 months of not playing factorio at all. But if you don't do what I did and take breaks, it will get extremely boring. Endgame is a really hard thing to get right in games like factorio, so I would suggest taking breaks and waiting until there's a new feature in the game or something (for example nuclear power made me keep playing the game instead of quitting). If you find mods boring then what I just talked about will be the only option.

ChoMar
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ChoMar »

Factorio has Multiplayer. Coop can be fun. PvP can be even more fun. Especially PvP can also be very disappointing. Prepare to loose 10 hours of work in 15 minutes. But hey, PvP with teams REALLY teaches you some neat tricks. Look into that stuff if youre bored. Look around in the multiplayer section or even make a request there.
Mytronix Entertainment

Bauer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Bauer »

I agree, multiplayer is an option.
For those who don't want that I would like to see some more challenging achievements. Things you can reach AFTER launching the rocket.

_Shin_
Inserter
Inserter

Post by _Shin_ »

dang, i never post in this forum but...geez dude.

100 hours is a lot. One of the "biggest" games of all time GTA 5 CAN be completed in 25-30 hours. This game CAN ben "completed" (assuming launching a rocket is the completion point), in an hour or so if you watch the speed-runs.

I've played a lot of MMOs. Which are designed to be played thousands of hours. Endgame is always the issue, everyone races to get there only to be disappointed once they arrive.

This game isn't about the "endgame" per se. It's about the design. Starter base, bus system, bot based system, rail/bot systems. Automating everything...Steam says I've played 454 hours. I've only looked at bob's mods, (only to say hell no and uninstall them).

I only have one base I'd consider a "mega-base" and stuff breaks. Trains get stuck and i look for a way to better design my layout so they don't. At one point I had something like a 200k space science but no others, so I had to upgrade every possible science build. Honestly, that took HOURS. So as it goes in Factorio, now I have hundreds of thousands of red, green, blue, purple, yellow etc...and I'm out of white. So what do I do now? I have to launch rockets faster duh...And the cycle continues.

If none of that is fun or challenging to you, then find something else...

Some other time killers I play:

Mini Metro -- simple game, keep the trains moving and the passengers flowing. 9.99 on steam.
Plague Inc: Evolved -- you're the virus, try to wipe out the entire world population. 14.99 on steam
Prison Architect -- kind of a tycoon game 29.99 on steam
War for the overlord -- this is a remake of Dungeon Keeper, if you're old enough to remember that game. Quite good -- 29.99 on steam
Stellaris -- This is the current game I have the most hours in (other than factorio) Huge game, if you like space exploration type games 39.99 on steam.

Please though, post what you liked about the game, what you didn't. why you're leaving so the devs can take those into account in their time management and move on to something you'll enjoy the endgame in more.

Ifalna
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Ifalna »

Well, what game doesn't?
Even MMOs with regular content patches can be boring at times.

Personally, I wish Factorio would be a bit harsher in terms of material complexity. Imho, Yellow and Purple science packs are too easy to produce and the research they unlock is not that critical. Blue is cool though, necessitating the entire oil setup etc.

As for the biters: I guess I played too much StarCraft in my life. I find them so easy to handle that I tend to deactivate them completely because while they are easy (no abilities, no tactics needed, nothing) clearing them out in endgame and retaining control over the map in order to expand is too much of a waste of my time b/c ultimately: I am only one man. I can't build fleets like in StarCraft in order to be active in multiple areas at once. Imho we need some form of automated OFFENSIVE combat in this game (defense is already automated with repair bots and laser towers).
The backbone of modern industrial society is, and for the foreseeable future will be, the use of electrical Power.

Ringkeeper
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Ringkeeper »

playing "only" 100 hour for that price and be "done" with the game? Hell, even for that i would pay..... every other game costs 50+€ and lasts 60h max.

Even WoW, where i have at least 700 days playtime (in 12 years) , did costs more, if i take the pets, char transfers etc in account.

The only other games i have that come close to the hours spend in factorio are Fallout3+4, Skyrim, X3:AP and 7daystodie (that one beats everything with 1000h :D )... all same "style" as factorio: find your own Goals for endgame.

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Engimage »

Ifalna wrote:Personally, I wish Factorio would be a bit harsher in terms of material complexity. Imho, Yellow and Purple science packs are too easy to produce and the research they unlock is not that critical. Blue is cool though, necessitating the entire oil setup etc.
You should definitely try out Deathworld if you lack material complexity. You c an also manually alter some parameters to make it even more challenging.
Next try out Bob's mods. These bring a lot of variety to the game forcing you to invent alternatives to main bus design due to "material complexity".
Next try out Bob's + Angels (including Petrochem). I am sure this combo will blow up your mind with complexity and realism.

The point is that vanilla game is not intended to be too complex as every single player should be able to handle it. If you are lacking interest in the game as it is it has an awesome modding support and a lot of dedicated modders who extend the gameplay in so many ways.
I saw you mentioned lacking automated offence? See AAI mods which introduce AI controlled vehicles which do it for you. Consider looking at Orbital Ion Cannon for automating biter nest clearing.

Ifalna
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Ifalna »

PacifyerGrey wrote: try out Bob's mods. These bring a lot of variety to the game forcing you to invent alternatives to main bus design due to "material complexity".
Next try out Bob's + Angels (including Petrochem). I am sure this combo will blow up your mind with complexity and realism.
Thanks for the input, I certainly will check out mods when the game is released and mod development is stable. I play quite slowly and do not want to lose a lot of playtime due to savegame incompatibility or because some mod is no longer supported in the newest version.

Don't get me wrong: I have 170h in vanilla now, which is pretty awesome in my book. It's rare that a game grips me like this and makes me spend that much time.
Currently I've started a marathon w/o biters at all where I am curious to test large scale manufacturing and trying different designs, so I'm not done with vanilla yet.
The backbone of modern industrial society is, and for the foreseeable future will be, the use of electrical Power.

featherwinglove
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by featherwinglove »

Endgame is always the issue, everyone races to get there only to be disappointed once they arrive.
My brain came up with a trailer something like this:

"Zelda: Breath of the-" (Link chokes on pollution and dies)

"Zelda: Breath of the-" (Link gets run over by a train)

"Zelda: Breath of the-" (Link gets clobbered by an inserter)

"Zelda: Breath of the-" (Link gets smashed by a construction robot placing an assembler)

"Zelda: Breath of the-" (Link gets eaten by a big worm) "...Wild?"

(BTW: JophAnd on Factorio and also Z:BotW.)

(Also, disappointed what?)
Ifalna wrote:The backbone of modern industrial society is, and for the foreseeable future will be, the use of electrical Power. - Rufus Shinra
FTFY :mrgreen:

Foreros
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Foreros »

Ifalna wrote:
PacifyerGrey wrote: try out Bob's mods. These bring a lot of variety to the game forcing you to invent alternatives to main bus design due to "material complexity".
Thanks for the input, I certainly will check out mods when the game is released and mod development is stable. I play quite slowly and do not want to lose a lot of playtime due to savegame incompatibility or because some mod is no longer supported in the newest version.

Don't get me wrong: I have 170h in vanilla now, which is pretty awesome in my book. It's rare that a game grips me like this and makes me spend that much time.
Currently I've started a marathon w/o biters at all where I am curious to test large scale manufacturing and trying different designs, so I'm not done with vanilla yet.
To be honest, I've not reached the megafactory level until now.
I'm just exploring, but in a base mod game I've started a new game and I'm working onn it in a vanilla version, but going on modded one in other savegames.
Go on with a bit of this and a bit of that. You will find the game more interesting for sure. ;)
And totally less boring. :D

MinotaurBlack
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by MinotaurBlack »

i am on over 200h and i have yet to start checking out mods.....damn, i need to learn how to use combinators and circuit networks properly. so much still to do.

i personally like my sandbox games without dedicated endgame, so i can make up my own fun and keep going. but that doesnt work for everyone and i can understand that. but for games like factorio it is very hard to come up with a proper endgame.

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

MinotaurBlack wrote:but for games like factorio it is very hard to come up with a proper endgame.
I think the biggest problem is that you build that huge factory and it becomes absolutely worthless once you are done with the main research tree.

The game definitely lacks ongoing resource/item consumers once done with the research tree... something that justifies building up other than just for the sake of getting through the research tree... because if it's just for that then the game might just end right there and you fly off to space and that's about it.

Okay, there is infinite research to increase your stats... but who and what are you really getting better for? Once you are late into the regular research tree you already literally nuke everything to oblivion, so it doesn't make much sense to keep on buffing up. Also the exponentially increasing resource demand of infinite research is ridiculous when compared to the linear gains... only makes sense to keep on going to a certain point after which you just say "f*ck it". Just like farming Paragon Levels in Diablo 3 and whatnot... there is no real point to it... or it just becomes something that keeps on happening every once in a while in the background, but you don't really intend to keep on playing for it on purpose.

Sandbox types of games only make really sense if there's stuff to do and explore once done with the "main story" (if there is one)... otherwise it doesn't make sense for it to be a sandbox. A problem a lot of nowadays games have which go for the sandbox approach. They put you in the game and forget about adding something that gives you a reason to keep on exploring the sandbox... after some point it's like "here you go, make up your own fun". With Factorio that becomes apparent rather fast once done with the research tree because of how every replay afterwards is basically the same, just at a slower pace (when increasing difficulty settings)... and the landscape is also just the same repetitive wasteland... and even more of the same wasteland beyond the horizon... with no real points of interest (like settlements or other unique features that may be worth to keep on looking for), no matter the actual map settings. Definitely something a future DLC/Expansion could improve on.

That said, I think the devs did a really good job on the game for what you have to spend on it... at least it keeps one busy for much, much longer than the average game... it's just that it should have ended with flying off to space if there is no point to keep on exploring.

MrGold
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by MrGold »

Xtrafresh wrote:The game does reach a point where it's unfulfilling. The problem is not that there's not enough content (there's a good case to be made that there's too MUCH content), but that it never reaches a crescendo, a final, super-hard challenge that requires your best in planning and execution. Launching the rocket is supposed to be that "final boss", but it's just not doing the trick. The game hasn't really stretched it's legs by that point, and you feel like there's so much left to do... but no reason to do it.

This leads to people turning away unfulfilled, even though by any standard they have had their fill. Imagine anyone saying "I find DOOM to be boring after 100 hours". Yet for Factorio, the intuition is that there's MORE, but you can't quite get to it. It's not a trivial issue, but fixing it requires either an overhaul of late-game stuff that's so comprehensive that launching a rocket feels like an impossible task completed, or adding a whole "chapter" of content after the rocket launch. I get why it's postponed to after 1.0. I do hope they really do address it, but until then, I'm going to have to use my imagination and come up with challenges for myself. :D
It would be great to launch the satellite into space and then you start to construct major planetary factories and you have to balance your space factory with shuttles flying from one planet to another. Opening a whole new research tree and so forth.

I only have 50 hours in Factorio but so far I can we myself easily going into the hundreds of hours with the base game. Min maxing your base creating an AI with the combinators that expand its own set of instructions etc... and then mods. But that is me.

Hellatze
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hellatze »

MeduSalem wrote:
MinotaurBlack wrote:but for games like factorio it is very hard to come up with a proper endgame.
I think the biggest problem is that you build that huge factory and it becomes absolutely worthless once you are done with the main research tree.

The game definitely lacks ongoing resource/item consumers once done with the research tree... something that justifies building up other than just for the sake of getting through the research tree... because if it's just for that then the game might just end right there and you fly off to space and that's about it.

Okay, there is infinite research to increase your stats... but who and what are you really getting better for? Once you are late into the regular research tree you already literally nuke everything to oblivion, so it doesn't make much sense to keep on buffing up. Also the exponentially increasing resource demand of infinite research is ridiculous when compared to the linear gains... only makes sense to keep on going to a certain point after which you just say "f*ck it". Just like farming Paragon Levels in Diablo 3 and whatnot... there is no real point to it... or it just becomes something that keeps on happening every once in a while in the background, but you don't really intend to keep on playing for it on purpose.

Sandbox types of games only make really sense if there's stuff to do and explore once done with the "main story" (if there is one)... otherwise it doesn't make sense for it to be a sandbox. A problem a lot of nowadays games have which go for the sandbox approach. They put you in the game and forget about adding something that gives you a reason to keep on exploring the sandbox... after some point it's like "here you go, make up your own fun". With Factorio that becomes apparent rather fast once done with the research tree because of how every replay afterwards is basically the same, just at a slower pace (when increasing difficulty settings)... and the landscape is also just the same repetitive wasteland... and even more of the same wasteland beyond the horizon... with no real points of interest (like settlements or other unique features that may be worth to keep on looking for), no matter the actual map settings. Definitely something a future DLC/Expansion could improve on.

That said, I think the devs did a really good job on the game for what you have to spend on it... at least it keeps one busy for much, much longer than the average game... it's just that it should have ended with flying off to space if there is no point to keep on exploring.
Thank you for pointing that out. I have trouble from my english :(

Foreros
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Foreros »

To be honest, I dont understand where is this full of boring game...
I'm actually testing various mod and I have more than 1000 hours of play at my activity.
Then I will, soon, try made my personal mods for get few features that I think are very useful missing in the vanilla game and in most of othet mods.
This is a game of building and creating the best you can and try to do even better.
And actually I havent started the enemy hunt game, but just the search of the best factory in the game and easy to develope during play without being forced to deconstruct all and place in a better shape.
Is it just a bit of fun? Maybe, but it can be a great fun if you try doing it seriously...
And soon I will hunt creepers just for fun. :P And add them to the game at higher evolution rate. :P

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Different people find fun in different games. and within a game, in different aspects of the game. I have around 1k hours on Skyrim. Yet, I have never been further than maybe the 3rd or 4th quest in the main plot. A friend of mine has finished the game 4 times in maybe 200 hours.
Some people like FPS. I just can't understand them. Some people like PvP, or fighting each other. Another thing that just surpasses my understanding.

Whatever. if you've had fun for 100 hours on a 20$ game, you've had the bang for your buck.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Hellatze
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hellatze »

Koub wrote:Different people find fun in different games. and within a game, in different aspects of the game. I have around 1k hours on Skyrim. Yet, I have never been further than maybe the 3rd or 4th quest in the main plot. A friend of mine has finished the game 4 times in maybe 200 hours.
Some people like FPS. I just can't understand them. Some people like PvP, or fighting each other. Another thing that just surpasses my understanding.

Whatever. if you've had fun for 100 hours on a 20$ game, you've had the bang for your buck.
This is old thread.

Idk why people want to necro it.

Return to “General discussion”