i find this game become boring after 100 hour.

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
12oz Jesus
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: i find this game become boring after 100 hour.

Post by 12oz Jesus »

I think the important point of this and similar "what's next/endgame" threads is that Factorio has such immense potential that those of us who have been bitten by the bug/"get" the game (took me 3 hard bounces off of it before I started down the 500 hour rabbit hole (of joy)) simply hate to see what seems like a premature ending. What I mean is that you have this fantastic system with which you've made your neat and impressive base, but... you soon have little to test it or against which to use it to impose your will. Biters are a nuisance but there is no doubt that they will be pushed back with effort and kept at bay with a laser wall. It isn't a complaint that the game isn't already good, it is that the potential is so obvious.

Consider for a moment real-time strategy elements standing on the shoulders of what is probably the best base-building systems in any game. Setup metal mining and smelting, start research, expand research, defend base... build mid-size base and start limited (expensive) AI unit production to clear areas for expansion before that iron deposit runs out... achieve mega base to ramp up military unit production to attempt to defeat alien mega base before Colossals start hatching. You get the idea. And obviously, it doesn't have to be all military, the possibilities to build on the most complex and satisfying base-building game are almost limitless.

And yes, Robot Army Mod is fantastic but heavily limited in unit command and AI behavior. Access to developer code appears to be necessary to really integrate AI units into the game.

I understand the developers have limited resources and need to reach "release", but they will easily sell 10x the games once the potential (not to mention easier to market) elements are realized.

My .02, keep the change.

Hellatze
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hellatze »

12oz Jesus wrote:I think the important point of this and similar "what's next/endgame" threads is that Factorio has such immense potential that those of us who have been bitten by the bug/"get" the game (took me 3 hard bounces off of it before I started down the 500 hour rabbit hole (of joy)) simply hate to see what seems like a premature ending. What I mean is that you have this fantastic system with which you've made your neat and impressive base, but... you soon have little to test it or against which to use it to impose your will. Biters are a nuisance but there is no doubt that they will be pushed back with effort and kept at bay with a laser wall. It isn't a complaint that the game isn't already good, it is that the potential is so obvious.

Consider for a moment real-time strategy elements standing on the shoulders of what is probably the best base-building systems in any game. Setup metal mining and smelting, start research, expand research, defend base... build mid-size base and start limited (expensive) AI unit production to clear areas for expansion before that iron deposit runs out... achieve mega base to ramp up military unit production to attempt to defeat alien mega base before Colossals start hatching. You get the idea. And obviously, it doesn't have to be all military, the possibilities to build on the most complex and satisfying base-building game are almost limitless.

And yes, Robot Army Mod is fantastic but heavily limited in unit command and AI behavior. Access to developer code appears to be necessary to really integrate AI units into the game.

I understand the developers have limited resources and need to reach "release", but they will easily sell 10x the games once the potential (not to mention easier to market) elements are realized.

My .02, keep the change.
i wish dev could integrate mod to their vanilla game.

until now, pipe problem solved by mod.

Ifalna
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Ifalna »

I do agree on the "premature ending" feeling b/c that's pretty much how I felt.
The moment you have set up your base to produce a rocket, you can basically alt + F4 the game because, content wise, you are done.
From there on out, nothing new is coming, you have seen everything there is to see, fought everything there is to fight. Even for a rookie, that happens around 40-50h into their first game.

You don't really get to USE what you build in any interesting way.

Considering that 80% of the tech tree revolves around some kind of military stuff (you really notice that once you play w/o biters), I don't believe new research or anything will ever solve that problem. It will only delay it.

What we would need are sophisticated enemies, at least as sophisticated as we are, tactically adept, dangerous, that force us to use what we build to stay alive/conquer while being able to discover new stuff to build from them.

In other words: convert factorio into a full grown RTS game, b/c the little critters we got now aren't going to cut it and plopping 5 laser defenses + shields into my armor and running around as a demigod, while hilarous at first, gets boring quickly.

The scenario they did with the "I need a plane and get out of here!" really demonstrates how inept the enemies are. No I don't need a plane. I merely need to grow a pair and kill them Zerg. Easily done, their bases are defenseless in the rear (north) end.

Ofc, keep in mind: even with sophisticated and truly mean enemies, the game will still end. All games do. It won't feel as premature though.
The backbone of modern industrial society is, and for the foreseeable future will be, the use of electrical Power.

MinotaurBlack
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by MinotaurBlack »

Hellatze wrote:really wish to have citizen in my base. so i can make my own empire.
you can have that, its called multiplayer. question is, who is gonna be the emperor then :D

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

Ifalna wrote:
MeduSalem wrote:Also I already did set all kinds of different goals for myself etc... I'm already past that as well... and wish the game would challenge me again. Honestly after at least 2000 hours of Vanilla Factorio throughout the past 4-5 years I definitely came to an dead end with the game.
Dude 2000 hours! You've played around 1.5 hours each day for 5 years.
It's a video game, not real life. I seriously doubt that the DEVs ever intended for players to dump that kind of time into Factorio and still be entertained. Oo.
Actually I didn't really sit in front of the computer the entire 2000 hours on my record. Often the game was just running in the background farming resources... and when I came back a day later the nasty resource patches were gone so I could expand my factory on the freed-up space. I'm kinda OCD about that... I am virtually unable to build my base upon unused resource patches.

So active playtime is probably somewhere around 800-1200 hours.

Which is still a lot... But well... It's not really like I have anything better to do with my life. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ At least I wouldn't know what else to do other than waste my life this way... To be honest due to my disorders I pretty much suck at everything in real life except a few very special things I can get quite obsessed about and I have no social life either because out of 100 people maybe 1 is capable of dealing with the way I am... and it's also not like anyone has to. Most people are just better off not knowing me and not having to deal with me. xD

But that said there are definitely people out there with even more playtime... I've played lots of multiplayer games in my time and met tons of people in them and in some games I've seen people with 3000-4000 hours of ACTIVE playtime... it's really like they already live inside those games. That's where I am already glad that I am at least able to turn off the game and computer and spend some days/weeks without.
Ifalna wrote:Go grab a musical instrument if you want truly endless entertainment/work/challenge for your brain.
Though to be honest, even with a hobby like that I sometimes get bored and unmotivated to practice with my Alto flute.
A little off-topic but I tried to learn to play Electric Guitar because 10-12 years ago when I was more motivated and still had all kinds of naive dreams about my life I actually wanted to found some kind of melodic death/doom metal band or something along the order as a hobby project... but over the years I realized that I'm not really talented and that it would take me another 20 years of hard work just to become a third class rhythm guitarist. Not enough to ever consider founding a band (which together with my lack of social skills would be doomed anyways). Not even enough to show it to someone due to lack of self-confidence. Considering all the bands I regularly listen to I'd probably have to break all my fingers to play like all those Scandinavian Metal Gods... it's like they get a guitar as their first baby's rattle. So that's about that.

Ifalna
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Ifalna »

MeduSalem wrote:and when I came back a day later the nasty resource patches were gone so I could expand my factory on the freed-up space. I'm kinda OCD about that... I am virtually unable to build my base upon unused resource patches.

Considering all the bands I regularly listen to I'd probably have to break all my fingers to play like all those Scandinavian Metal Gods... it's like they get a guitar as their first baby's rattle.
I know, right? It's far harder to do than one would expect. Just ... build the damn building ... but, but... ._.

I know exactly how you feel about that, because that is the way I feel whenever I listen to a professional flutist (I only play for 14 months now). No clue how they move their fingers this ridiculously fast. ... YET.
Also I'm reasonably sure that they DO get guitars as rattles up there. :mrgreen:
The backbone of modern industrial society is, and for the foreseeable future will be, the use of electrical Power.

Hellatze
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hellatze »

MinotaurBlack wrote:
Hellatze wrote:really wish to have citizen in my base. so i can make my own empire.
you can have that, its called multiplayer. question is, who is gonna be the emperor then :D
i hate players. i mean they are very limited.

imagine 50.000 robot at your hands. you can order mass extermination.

featherwinglove
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by featherwinglove »

MinotaurBlack wrote:
Stop, it. I'm getting misty with nostalgia.

featherwinglove
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Ifalna wrote:God point. I remember the same from My MMOs, where you would rack up insane looking /played times (around 500 days in WoW over 10 years) but 50% of that was just standing around and using the game as an animated chatbox. :D
In the game that made everyone forget about WoW, someone took that concept literally. Too literally. If Wube releases the Client/Server multiplayer API, it'll probably happen to the game that'll make everyone forget about Minecraft as well. :mrgreen:

Hellatze
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hellatze »

featherwinglove wrote:
Ifalna wrote:God point. I remember the same from My MMOs, where you would rack up insane looking /played times (around 500 days in WoW over 10 years) but 50% of that was just standing around and using the game as an animated chatbox. :D
In the game that made everyone forget about WoW, someone took that concept literally. Too literally. If Wube releases the Client/Server multiplayer API, it'll probably happen to the game that'll make everyone forget about Minecraft as well. :mrgreen:
what the point of player when you can't control it ?

i rather have my army of robots.

this game robot are too simple :(

Ifalna
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Ifalna »

featherwinglove wrote:
Haha that's funny.
Technically I can already chat with WoW buddies w/o being subscribed though. B-Net launcher makes that possible.
Still, so many hours hopping in circles in Shattrath, Dalaran, Stormwind, Shrine, Garrison, and now Dalaran again. Fun memories. :D

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

Hellatze wrote:this game robot are too simple :(
You should probably find yourself a game about controlling robots then, and not one about building factories.

Hellatze
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hellatze »

5thHorseman wrote:
Hellatze wrote:this game robot are too simple :(
You should probably find yourself a game about controlling robots then, and not one about building factories.
our factory use robot you know.

c0bRa
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by c0bRa »

Just search your endgame by yourself... Firing 1 rocket per second could be your goal... ;)

Hellatze
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hellatze »

c0bRa wrote:Just search your endgame by yourself... Firing 1 rocket per second could be your goal... ;)
Not the endgame i was looking for.

featherwinglove
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

c0bRa wrote:Just search your endgame by yourself... Firing 1 rocket per second could be your goal... ;)
FTFY.

DScoffers
Inserter
Inserter

Post by DScoffers »

featherwinglove wrote:
FTFY.
That’s a really impressive YouTube series, but sooooo heavily modded, it’s crazy.

Foreros
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Foreros »

All fighting about "what to do" with the game.
Remember that you have older version of the game running differently with a different engine and even if similar purpose a different way to do it.
Actually, if bored by 0.15, try going back to 0.14 and check the game mechanics of the older version.
In this version you HAVE to fight critters to go on with research and you NEED them attack you for locate their bases.
Then enjoy the difference guys! You will discover that fun is not only going on, but even turning back and check from where you come! ;)

Hellatze
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hellatze »

Foreros wrote:All fighting about "what to do" with the game.
Remember that you have older version of the game running differently with a different engine and even if similar purpose a different way to do it.
Actually, if bored by 0.15, try going back to 0.14 and check the game mechanics of the older version.
In this version you HAVE to fight critters to go on with research and you NEED them attack you for locate their bases.
Then enjoy the difference guys! You will discover that fun is not only going on, but even turning back and check from where you come! ;)
boring solution.

i rather play with mod, they provide a lot of feature.

Foreros
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Foreros »

Why not both? Older verions can be modded too, at least until 0.12 and more.
And the mod archive let you download any version of them...

Return to “General discussion”