i find this game become boring after 100 hour.

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Elok
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: i find this game become boring after 100 hour.

Post by Elok »

One thing that I've thought to help with endgame would be a sort of big "Alien Push" event.

Basically, when you reach endgame (triggered by the space station?), soon you get warned about the start of the event. Instance, a message like "You heard a growl from far away" appear on the screen.

At the same time, a big alien structure spawn. Far in the map and start sending huge wave of behemoth to the space station. You can either try to defend, of attack and destroy the station to stop the wave.

I don't think it will be too hard to implement.

Hellatze
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hellatze »

Elok wrote:One thing that I've thought to help with endgame would be a sort of big "Alien Push" event.

Basically, when you reach endgame (triggered by the space station?), soon you get warned about the start of the event. Instance, a message like "You heard a growl from far away" appear on the screen.

At the same time, a big alien structure spawn. Far in the map and start sending huge wave of behemoth to the space station. You can either try to defend, of attack and destroy the station to stop the wave.

I don't think it will be too hard to implement.
Its not that hard.

Other game have this kind of feature too.

Foreros
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Foreros »

I will find this a bad thing.
After all this is a building game, not a tower defense like game...

Hellatze
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hellatze »

Foreros wrote:I will find this a bad thing.
After all this is a building game, not a tower defense like game...
The problem with building games, that people will find itself bored if they didnt meet the new goals. By the mean of goal.
Something like new base/tech, high risk enemy and big reward, space program.

We need something more than sending rocket to space.

PurpleGreen
Inserter
Inserter

Post by PurpleGreen »

on of the good things in factorio ( at least to me ) is that there is no real " goal" ... yes - launch a rocket ...

set my own challenges. improve myself. 100x recipes and tech + 50x spacex and only use yellow belts ( thanks dice)

survival mod / tower defense approach

build a "good / realistic" looking factory

yes it all boils down to building a factory ... but still after 1300+ hours i havent really touched circuit networks and still struggle doing a really good train setup.

so if factorio is boring after 100 hours , i believe there is a lack of imagination on your side OR ( higher probability ) factorio is just not your game.

Hellatze
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hellatze »

PurpleGreen wrote:on of the good things in factorio ( at least to me ) is that there is no real " goal" ... yes - launch a rocket ...

set my own challenges. improve myself. 100x recipes and tech + 50x spacex and only use yellow belts ( thanks dice)

survival mod / tower defense approach

build a "good / realistic" looking factory

yes it all boils down to building a factory ... but still after 1300+ hours i havent really touched circuit networks and still struggle doing a really good train setup.

so if factorio is boring after 100 hours , i believe there is a lack of imagination on your side OR ( higher probability ) factorio is just not your game.
Its game for you then, i have my own honest opinion. And unbiased comment. When i got bored, that mean something wrong in this game.

Trudel
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Trudel »

Hellatze wrote:When i got bored, that mean something wrong in this game.
You being bored after 100 hours of playing means something is wrong with the game? Strikes me as kind of an arrogant conclusion.
My wife says I only have to faults: I don't listen and something else.

Hellatze
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hellatze »

Trudel wrote:
Hellatze wrote:When i got bored, that mean something wrong in this game.
You being bored after 100 hours of playing means something is wrong with the game? Strikes me as kind of an arrogant conclusion.
I expect 500 hour.

But no. The 100 hour mostly from afk.

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

Hellatze wrote:I expect 500 hour.

May I ask what kind of other games you are playing that you set 500 hours as a standard?

When looking at the video game industry you are already lucky if a game provides enough content to play it for 10-20 hours before it becomes boring and repetitive after which you have to become creative yourself to extend the fun and all that for 50-70 bucks (not to forget all the additional rip-off Pre-Order/DLC/Microtransactions crap a lot of the companies are doing nowadays to make the game even playable in the first place).

That's the average I have come to know over the past 25 years ever since I first picked up a video game.

So Factorio is pretty much above average already when it comes to play time and far below average when it comes to the price. That said it doesn't mean Factorio doesn't have its flaws.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

MeduSalem wrote:
Hellatze wrote:I expect 500 hour.

May I ask what kind of other games you are playing that you set 500 hours as a standard?
Factorio - bored in 100 hours.png
Factorio - bored in 100 hours.png (163.37 KiB) Viewed 6044 times
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

PurpleGreen
Inserter
Inserter

Post by PurpleGreen »

yep ... thought so ... just to remind you : factorio =/= DOTA2 .

so according to your logic , the only game thats "right" is dota 2.

as i mentioned earlier : factorio just is not a game for you.

theres nothing wrong with the game . the mistake lies in the choice you made.

oh and btw : in my opinion DOTA2 is boring as hell... but thats just my opinion, the game might be great tho

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

Well... like PurpleGreen wrote... I almost saw that coming a mile away. (If what Koub posted really is Hellatze's Steam Records)

The screenshot speaks for itself. Exaggerated expectations stemming from the believe other games have to be like your typical MOBA/MMO games. Have seen that before so there's pretty much nothing else I would need to say about it.
Last edited by MeduSalem on Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

greaman
Inserter
Inserter

Post by greaman »

Hellatze wrote: But no. The 100 hour mostly from afk.
honestly... that's one of the best features about factorio as far as I am concerned.

I can spent half an hour or an hour a day on planning designs... setting them up, enjoying the show, and then leave the system to sort all things out... and if I am busy or away... 2-3 days down the road I just got more ressources for the next expansion.

If I look at the stats it is definitely at least 95% afk time... and I am still learning, tweaking and trying out stuff...
Attachments
6075.png
6075.png (39.24 KiB) Viewed 6019 times

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

See, that's another thing I like about Factorio. Personally, I think that if I just go afk for a few hours, I'm doing somthing wrong and I need to build more production instead. Other people do it completely differently - some might go afk for long periods of time, or only play in peaceful - and I don't think that's wrong. There are so many different ways you can play Factorio, so many different challenges you can give yourself, which is part of what makes it so much fun for so many people (similarly to many sandbox games - I'm fairly certain that's why games like Minecraft have such a large appeal as well).
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

quineotio
Inserter
Inserter

Post by quineotio »

I like how your understanding of what's happening changes as you scale the factory. The first line of iron you make is quite a cool thing, and you get to place assemblers and get a lot of resources "for free". When you get to the stage of building 4 more iron lanes, you're at a different level, you're managing different things, powering through the science, gaining new tools. Then when you've got 20 or so lanes of iron and you're making complex operations and advanced components, you're at a different level again, managing and entire factory and planning complex networks of resources. Even though the player's abilities don't scale that much, it feels like you become more powerful as you go along because you don't have to manually build things any more.

But at some point it starts to feel like busywork, because adding more production involves an increasing amount of manual work as you scale up. The amount of work your factory can do scales up over time, but the amount of things you can build manually doesn't scale much. Robots help you scale to the launching a rocket level, but if you want to build a megabase, it's going to take a LOT of running around setting up ore patches and connecting them, even with bots.

I've been playing a game recently and I've launched the rocket 30 times or so. I was planning to set up a big new base, using my advanced tech to make it easier. I calculated I'd need about 18 lanes of iron. So I made a blueprint with roboports spaced at maximum, connected with power and placed them down over a huge area. I used the deconstruction planner to cut down all of the trees/rock in the area so I had a clearing to work. I then planned out the smelting and placed down the 18 lanes with bots, and connected them, using bots to help where I could. I then went around to all of the somewhat close ore patches and set up mining. I set up balancers, left room for the outputs and had plans for where I was going to run my main bus. Then realized I'd have to do the same with copper, get steel going, get fluids going, plastic, etc. And I just can't be bothered. I can't think of a way to use my tools to get through it without tedium. I don't really want to manually build past a certain point. I'd love if I could just stand in one place and control everything. I'd like to see what it's like to control a factory at the really high level, where there are tens of millions of ore being smelted every minute, and I'm spending my time managing efficiency, power use and production. It seems like the next logical step, going from manually mining to auto mining, manually building to auto building, manually expanding to auto expanding.

I realize there are mods for some of these things, but here are some things I'd like in the game.

Increased range for placing buildings/deconstructing.
Longer range roboports.
Diagnostics (heat maps, see an individual building's production rate over time, resource flows, flow control)
Ratio calculator, including the percentage of a full lane of resources it'll take to build an item. For example, I want to build green circuits - how many machines can I have pulling from an iron line before the line is full.
Automated setup of mining. Perhaps using some blueprint style system, I'm thinking you can set up an automated system where you just click on an ore patch and bots automatically place down and connect everything up. I'm thinking like, you click on the patch, click on the ore output, then click where you want it input and it all automatically connects up, without any of the fiddly stuff. Basically I'd like to be the boss of the factory, who no longer has to worry about the little details and can just make the big decisions. I think that'd be an awesome final reward for the work of setting up the factory in the first place.

A better, more informative production tab. I'd like to see how much of a particular resource is being used to produce a particular product, and how much of that product is being used to make other products. Like how much iron is being used for green circuits, and how many green circuits for blue circuits. This, along with heat maps, would allow me to diagnose problems with the factory more easily. At the moment it can be difficult to figure out what's going on because a backup in one place can effect things elsewhere.

Automated belt building, like for rails.

Just some ideas, I love the game, played for over 200 hours.

Facme
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Facme »

I have played 300+ hours. Every time I start a new game i set new goals myself. The game currently playing my goals are to launch as many as possible rockets per minute. Secunday goals are efficiency and speed of the logistic network. This will keep me busy for the time being. And just when i thought my smelting was efficient, i come up with a new design to increase the output even more with less enitities. Measuring, improving and measuring it again....so much fun :)

Hellatze
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hellatze »

Nah.

I just play warframe. At least they keep adding stuff that intresting.

quineotio
Inserter
Inserter

Post by quineotio »

greaman wrote:
Hellatze wrote: But no. The 100 hour mostly from afk.
honestly... that's one of the best features about factorio as far as I am concerned.

I can spent half an hour or an hour a day on planning designs... setting them up, enjoying the show, and then leave the system to sort all things out... and if I am busy or away... 2-3 days down the road I just got more ressources for the next expansion.

If I look at the stats it is definitely at least 95% afk time... and I am still learning, tweaking and trying out stuff...
Surely the fact that you aren't even playing for 95% of the time is an indication that something could be improved. I don't know why you think it's one of the best features. The game is certainly fun for a while, but it feels like a problem to be solved more than a game. The easiest way to solve a problem is almost always to add more production. It doesn't matter how much power I use, or how many resources I use - the only scarce resource is time.

Factorio is a sandbox game in the sense that you can play around and try different things, and solve problems in different ways. But at the end of the day there's a best way to do most things and once you've figured it out you can just blueprint it and use that same design over and over. The thing that really appeals to me is automating progressively more difficult things. But it just doesn't scale enough, because you inevitably need to run around placing buildings at every level of the game. Doubling production in the early game is easy and doesn't take long. Doubling production late game can take days, simply because of the scale. Something like the recursive blueprints mod would help, so I could spend my time doing higher and higher level things as time goes on. But I feel like factorio really needs another level above what currently exists.

Or alternatively, another layer of complexity over the existing game, like assemblers making waste, which you can then recycle. I think the power/biter situation is a problem too, because I find biters annoying, but when pollution isn't important, adding power is just a chore, and after solar it's basically all just a chore. I almost want a more complex electricity system, where engines are more/less efficient depending on how much they're producing, or power poles have a maximum number of connections, or something. Maybe you can make specialized assemblers that can make multiple components at once, or assemblers that are far faster and more productive, but require consumables. Anything to give me something to manage after I've finished building something, because at the moment, if I did the build properly I won't have to touch it again for a long time.

I've made a bunch of factories that have launched rockets now, and I always get an empty, "what now?" feeling at the end. The factory is running, launching rockets. I'm not needed. I've automated myself out of a job. Yeah I could expand or make it more efficient or try a different setup, but I'm already launching rockets so... for what purpose? And as I mentioned before, everything takes longer when you scale up. So it take longer to do stuff and you get less benefit from doing it the longer you play.

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

I just crossed 400 hours on Steam and almost none of that was idle time. Literally none of it was sitting around waiting for my factory to produce something.

Really I don't see how, after the first 5 minutes in a new save, anybody could ever catch up to and surpass the sheer volume of stuff to do in this game. If anything the problem is that it takes longer to do all the stuff you research than it does too research new stuff to do.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

There are situations where you might want to leave the game running whilst you are afk. eg spaceX whilst doing some of the long (250,000 flask) FTL researches (assuming you have decided you don't need/want to expand your base any more), or playing seablock whilst waiting on more landfill/resources during the early stages.

Return to “General discussion”