New UI graphics (0.15) are making game unplayable

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
muzzy
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

New UI graphics (0.15) are making game unplayable

Post by muzzy »

You know, the gui.png looks like it was slapped together real quick and I was hoping it was just a temporary placeholder and the artists would fix it before 0.15 went stable, but since it's still there I suppose I need to rant a little.

The slots in inventory look like there's a massive blur there, and there's something about it that messes with my eyes making it harder to focus on the screen. It doesn't take long before I start getting a headache due to this, and it's making it absolutely impossible to concentrate on the game at all. The flat colors were much MUCH better than the current hacky GUI look. If depth is to be added, you should just render a reasonably looking background for the tiles instead of slapping white/black radial gradient with a linear falloff on top of the colored tiles. Seriously, if you want to add some physical properties to the GUI look, it needs to make sense to the eyes, and the current look doesn't.

To add insult to injury, the fadeout on the recipes isn't distinguishable enough from non-faded ones to be a meaningful indicator, it's just serves to add unnecessary complication to the user experience. The background color (or tile borders or something) should be significantly different or the fadeout should be just entirely removed. Currently, the UI forces me to strain my eyes even more searching for the recipes I need. This makes early game quite a painful experience compared to how it used to be before.

Seriously, not only are the new UI graphics ugly, they're making it impossible for me to play the game at all. I used to play the game almost daily before 0.15, and I stopped for a few months ever since I tried the 0.15 in experimental branch. I was hoping I could play again once 0.15 was out, but that doesn't seem to be possible. I'm going to be seriously upset if the UI graphics remain this way through 0.16 as well :(

Edit: Oh man GUI reskin was in the roadmap for 0.16, I must be blind.
Last edited by muzzy on Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: New UI graphics (0.15) are making game unplayable

Post by Jap2.0 »

There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

muzzy
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by muzzy »

Omg, I swear I read the roadmap! How did I miss that? :O

I feel much relieved, thanks for pointing that out :)

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

Maybe it was originally intended for 0.15 and got postponed to 0.16?

Belt optimizations was also originally intended for 0.15 and got postponed to 0.16.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

muzzy wrote:You know, the gui.png looks like it was slapped together real quick and I was hoping it was just a temporary placeholder and the artists would fix it before 0.15 went stable, but since it's still there I suppose I need to rant a little.

The slots in inventory look like there's a massive blur there, and there's something about it that messes with my eyes making it harder to focus on the screen. It doesn't take long before I start getting a headache due to this, and it's making it absolutely impossible to concentrate on the game at all. The flat colors were much MUCH better than the current hacky GUI look. If depth is to be added, you should just render a reasonably looking background for the tiles instead of slapping white/black radial gradient with a linear falloff on top of the colored tiles. Seriously, if you want to add some physical properties to the GUI look, it needs to make sense to the eyes, and the current look doesn't.

To add insult to injury, the fadeout on the recipes isn't distinguishable enough from non-faded ones to be a meaningful indicator, it's just serves to add unnecessary complication to the user experience. The background color (or tile borders or something) should be significantly different or the fadeout should be just entirely removed. Currently, the UI forces me to strain my eyes even more searching for the recipes I need. This makes early game quite a painful experience compared to how it used to be before.

Seriously, not only are the new UI graphics ugly, they're making it impossible for me to play the game at all. I used to play the game almost daily before 0.15, and I stopped for a few months ever since I tried the 0.15 in experimental branch. I was hoping I could play again once 0.15 was out, but that doesn't seem to be possible. I'm going to be seriously upset if the UI graphics remain this way through 0.16 as well :(

Edit: Oh man GUI reskin was in the roadmap for 0.16, I must be blind.
Are you sure your monitor is setup correctly? Because I can't see any of the issues you're talking about when I load the game.

Do you have any other computer (at work maybe) you could load it on to see if it's just your 1 computer?
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Have you changed your graphical settings (especially UI scale) ?
Can you post us a screenshot from what bothers you ? So that we can see if the blurr is on your screen or in the picture ?
Are you sure you haven't activated some kind of forced anti aliasing in your graphic drivers ?
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

muzzy
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by muzzy »

You misunderstand, the same effect happens to me with every 0.15 inventory screenshot I can find online. The problem is the gradient in the slot background. It used to be flat gray, now it has a soft radial gradient. THAT's the blur. It's like there's a layer underneath that's out of focus, and that messes with my head in a bad way.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

muzzy wrote:You misunderstand, the same effect happens to me with every 0.15 inventory screenshot I can find online. The problem is the gradient in the slot background. It used to be flat gray, now it has a soft radial gradient. THAT's the blur. It's like there's a layer underneath that's out of focus, and that messes with my head in a bad way.
Which is why I asked if your monitor is messed up. Because you're the only person I've seen say they had this problem.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

HurkWurk
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by HurkWurk »

the cells are not a single flat color like they used to be, rather they are shadowed in the corners.
this is how it used to look:

Return to “General discussion”