Rail Setup

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
DarkOmen
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Rail Setup

Post by DarkOmen »

So I'm at the stage where I'm pondering over how i should set up trains, currently i have a non-linear station setup ( Where combinators + train AI works out what train goes where ) but I'm pondering on its efficiency, has anyone experimented with this design form or should i just return to a linear station setup where each train has its individual station setup.

Example would be, you have 12 stations that require Iron plate, you have 8 trains in your system servicing those 12 stations. ( all trains have the same stations in destination ) when 1 train is in that station the station is disabled to prevent other trains from pathing to it, once the station reaches the combinator limit the station is disabled to prevent trains from filling and waiting for station to empty.

TheTom
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Rail Setup

Post by TheTom »

Look at the logistics train network mod - that is amazing to get a fully automated dispatching system set up ;)

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Rail Setup

Post by mrvn »

That is pretty much how I setup trains two except with some variations:

Groundrules:
- All stations are disabled when a train is present.
- Every train has a station in its schedule that is only disabled when a train is present as idle position.
- There is one such station for every train, i.e. all trains can be idle at the same time.
- All stations have a signal before them so that if two trains drive to a station the second will repath and go somewhere else without being stuck behind the first train.
- Buffer chests are loaded from / unloaded to belts using circuits to keep them more or less balanced.

Ore trains:

- Mine stations are enabled only when they can fill up a train from the buffer chests.
- Exhausted mines automatically stay disabled but might have some ore left in the buffer chests, less than a trains worth.
- There is one ore train per unloading station at a smelter, that is their idle station.
- Trains block on unloading if the buffer chests overflow.

Fuel:

- There is one fuel train. So far I haven't needed a second. The train idles at the loading station. Unloading stations are enabled if they are below 100 fuel for train stations, below 1000 fuels for smelters and 10000 fuel for power plants.
- A train station fuel unloading is usually shared with a number of train stations to fuel the locomotive. Very little consumption there.
- Fuel can be wood or coal. Train conditions can't use inventory full but must use inactivity.

Crude Oil:

- Just one crude oil train so far and one refinery complex.
- Loading stations with 4 tanks (tank, pump, 3 tanks, 3 pumps to train) and enabled when >=75k.
- Unloading to 4 tanks (3 pumps from train, 3 tanks, pump, tank).
- Train blocks on unloading.

Water:

- Just one water train so far and one loading station
- Loading stations with 4 tanks (tank, pump, 3 tanks, 3 pumps to train)
- Unloading to 4 tanks (3 pumps from train, 3 tanks, pump, tank), enabled when < 25k.
- Train idles at loading station.

Cheap items:

- Trains idle on the producing side until full.
- One train per loading station.
- Consumers are enabled when their buffer chests have enough space to empty a train and no train present.
- Usually high speed loading and unloading stations with 6 or 12 buffer chests per car and multiple belts per car.

Expensive Items:

- Trains idle on the producing side until some item count is reached.
- One train and one loading station.
- Consumers are enabled when their buffer chests are (near) empty.
- Usually single car and just one belt on the loading and unloading station. Number of buffer chests depend on item count.

Science Items:

- Trains idle on the unloading side.
- Just one buffer chest.
- Train condition is (Item count > 200) AND (2s inactivity)

Return to “General discussion”