0.15 train speed

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
thangtamfive
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

0.15 train speed

Post by thangtamfive »

I wondered whether someone has already done the math/experiments for the new 0.15 train speed/acceleration.
Is the max speed stil independent of the train length?

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: 0.15 train speed

Post by Loewchen »

Someone did: https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comme ... fuel_type/
Drag is depending on what car is in front fyi, I assume those measurements had the locomotive in front.

Rahjital
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Rahjital »

Loewchen wrote:
Drag is depending on what car is in front fyi, I assume those measurements had the locomotive in front.
That table is not accurate. A 1-4 coal-powered train can reach max speed without difficulty. In my own trials, a 1-8 coal train topped out at roughly 216 kph after several kilometres.

d3x0r
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by d3x0r »

Pretty sure it's not about count of cars but about weight

Locomotive - 2000
cargo-wagon - 1000
fluid-wagon : 3000

The reddit post says a train facing backward is worth 2 cars - and it is; but because a locomotive is twice the weight

but that's really about acceleration. Top speed is absolute except by fuel type which gives a hidden multiplier that is not the same as the shown acceleration modifier.

there are heavier locomotives in mods (nuclear train for instance) and Youki railroads has one that 5000

don't think it's total air_resistance; though it would be an interesting experiment to make a low air resistance car and put it ahead of the front locmotive.
Also doesn't appear to matter where in the line you have the engines, 1 forward-1 backward- and then cargo; other than I guess going backward the air resistance of wagons is 0.01 (compares to a train 0.0075)

I've been playing with trains a lot - https://mods.factorio.com/mods/d3x0r/tr ... ed-limiter which adjusts train speeds based on rail types.

Edit:
modified the cargo-wagon air-resistance to be 0.001, and put it behind the train, and train was a little slower; putting it ahead of the engine makes it go faster... so it is apparently the lead (what did they call them) stock that determines air_resistance.

Return to “General discussion”