Underground belt/pipes that are scaled with length

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
mazar83
Inserter
Inserter

Underground belt/pipes that are scaled with length

Post by mazar83 »

Hi,

I am SURE that this has ALREADY been discussed. If this is in the wrong place, please move/redirect it to the appropriate place. Or remove it and advise me to post it in the appropriate place. Thank you.

I have recently been using the Subterranean mod, which I LOVE.

My experience has been that the Subterranean mod unlocks the Subterranean concept for the 1-3 tier belts and the underground iron pipes.

In my most recent game, which is Angel’s/Bob’s, I have researched Tier 4 belts, Titanium, Tungsten, and Ceramic pipes; however, the corresponding Subterranean version do not exist!

You should be able to spend as many resources as you want to make whatever you want travel as far as you want underground. The concept of the Subterranean mod should be directly incorporated into all belts/pipes and vanilla/mods with no limit other than the resources you are willing to spend. The thing is, I have always understood, as an engineer and a scientist, that the concept of the Subterranean mod is sound. From an engineering point of view, there is NO reason (besides cost), for the construction of ANYTHING underground. As a player and with ANY mod, we should be able to build anything underground for any distance so long as the requisite soil has been excavated and the appropriate resources are supplied.

It should be up to the player to spend the resources to build the requisite underground structures. For example, on a per tile basis, you should need,
I) One belt/pipe for each tile.
A) These belts/pipes should refer to their corresponding surface recipes.
II) To excavate the corresponding cube of material.
A) Remove that material.
i) Soil removal products should be based on the terrain.
a) For example, mud, sand, stone, etc...
ii) Can be easily implemented given that appropriate products already exist in Angel’s/Bob’s
III) You must build a structurally sound tunnel.
A) You need structural materials for each tile of tunnel.
i) Wooden and steel beams.
a) Beams should not require an additional production step, but only the raw materials.
b) Wood vs Steel Plate should be based on the tier of belt.
c) Wood vs Steel Plate should be based on a gradient of tier of belt.

I hope that the developers and Gangsir sees this post. I am not sure of the details, but my guess is that it would require a change to the fundamentals of the game.

Thanks for your consideration of these concepts,
Mark

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Underground belt/pipes that are scaled with length

Post by Jap2.0 »

I have nothing against your idea, however I think the problem is that it could be difficult for new players to understand and it could be a bit overpowered. You also seem to be trying to add some parts of 3 different mods into vanilla. I'm not against adding mods to the base game (fluid tanker was a mod), however the three mods (Angels, Bobs, and Subterranean) all are quite complicated mods, which might make them more difficult to add to vanilla (along with the fact it could make the base game overly complicated). Finally, I see no problem with the engineering behind this, but Factorio isn't completely realistic, considering that you can fit hundreds of nuclear reactors or trees in your pockets.

I'm not against the concept, but I doubt it will be added.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Return to “General discussion”