My new factory's power facility!

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
VapidLinus
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

My new factory's power facility!

Post by VapidLinus »

Two hours into my new save, I've got this as my power facility! :D

SHiRKiT
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: My new factory's power facility!

Post by SHiRKiT »

Does this actually works when the system is stressed out? If it does you just created a whole new concept over there.

undeadnightorc
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by undeadnightorc »

There doesn't seem to be enough boilers for that amount of engines, or maybe I counted wrong? Isn't the recommended ratio 1.33 boilers for every 1 engine? I count only 12 boilers providing hot water for 18 steam engines.

The setup looks like it should work early on, but once the base consumption gets larger there may be problems with this setup.

Khyron
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Khyron »

Dat feel when you design a sexy layout 8-)

As others have hinted, you might run in to some trouble trying to get more than 5.2 MW from that facility. It seems a single offshore pump can only pump enough water to satisfy 10 steam engines. Adding more pumps doesn't seem to work in my experiences. Maybe it's something to do with a maximum rate of flow through pipes. Keep an eye on it and see when it starts to max out.

Another thing to check is the water temperature in the top left steam engine, the one closest to the pump. Should be fine up to the 2MW but beyond that you might see the temperature being cooler than the ideal 100 or 99.

I like that you've left space to walk through that area. Keep up the good work!

Zourin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Zourin »

This is definitely a solid configuration. While light on the boilers, adding more boilers is very easy by simply replacing some of the pipes, and really wouldn't be a major issue overall.

It's also modular enough that you can start with the first six engines and add additional engine blocks as your needs expand. That can help kick up the early game a bit, since I tend to build a full 18-engine power plant from the get-go, which eats a LOT of valuable early-game iron.

DerivePi
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DerivePi »

When fully operational, you will need 2 water pumps, 28 total boilers and 2 more steam engines to maximize the system. I like how you have it set up. It looks possible to put the last 2 engines where the 2 turrets are and just shift the turrets to the side. I think you may have a problem relocating the small electric poles when you need that space to insert into another boiler.

Thanks for sharing!

johntarmac
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by johntarmac »

I liked this idea of a more compact power setup so I took the idea and came up with this.
It started with the top left 8 engines then I thought I can run underground pipe down the middle to another 8. Then I read a water pump can only do 10 engines so I figured I'd try adding a second group of 8 under the first and another pump.

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nova »

Sorry, but I have no idea why anyone could think that's a good layout. Never heat water after it got past a steam engine. As soon as the latter steam engines need more water, the first boiler are not enough to heat the water to 100° and the first steam engines work not at full capacity. Also you have a circle in your layout. Don't know if it's still bad to do that, but you don't need it. Remove the one line of pipes on the right and just let the water flow trough the steam engine to the other steam engine in one row.
Greetings, Nova.
Factorio is one of the greatest games I ever played, with one of the best developers I ever heard of.

Turtle
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Turtle »

johntarmac wrote:I liked this idea of a more compact power setup so I took the idea and came up with this.
It started with the top left 8 engines then I thought I can run underground pipe down the middle to another 8. Then I read a water pump can only do 10 engines so I figured I'd try adding a second group of 8 under the first and another pump.

Compact with fuel buffer:
steam-engines.jpg
steam-engines.jpg (344.96 KiB) Viewed 4151 times

Khyron
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Khyron »

Nova wrote:Sorry, but I have no idea why anyone could think that's a good layout. Never heat water after it got past a steam engine. As soon as the latter steam engines need more water, the first boiler are not enough to heat the water to 100° and the first steam engines work not at full capacity. Also you have a circle in your layout. Don't know if it's still bad to do that, but you don't need it. Remove the one line of pipes on the right and just let the water flow trough the steam engine to the other steam engine in one row.
What you should do is consider the possibility that OP is newer to the game than you. It's not hard to guess this layout is probably much neater and more extensible than OPs previous layout. OP was excited by their new layout and wanted to share some enthusiasm with the forum. I don't think they're claiming to be an expert. And nothing you've said hasn't already been mentioned by others - in a much more constructive way, I might add.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “General discussion”