Factorio 2 dev

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
meems
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Factorio 2 dev

Post by meems »

Valrandir wrote:
meems wrote:>I'm old therefore I know better kiddies
This is a fallacious argument.
When in a hole, stop digging.
Do as you suggest and I'll believe you. Go to the nursery and learn from your new 2 year old life coaches then. Start a blog, write up what you've learnt every week from children that recently learnt how to walk. Do a 3 year course. Come back and show us you have learnt better than students who learn from university professors and industry heavyweights with 20+ year experience.

Write up your 1st post now, about your plans.

buggy123
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by buggy123 »

meems wrote:Hmm, its looking like this forum is no use in discussing dev, its looking like an unregulated place for 15-25yos to satiate their craving for attention by telling other people that they are wrong.

>Do employers hire people 2 years before they open their business? No, they don't.

So we're just messing around now, saying the most retarded thing that comes into your head, then trying to defend it with pigeon logic. A good exercise if you're learning how to argue, and are not able to go out into the real world and experience life.
Okay then, tell me why the devs would hire new developers right now, specifically to work on Factorio 2 which will not even start development for years, if it is ever made at all.
meems wrote: MineCraft is a good template for success. But why aren't you considering DOTA and DOTA 2? Inconvenient if you are set on opposing everything that anyone says?
If I thought F1 had got everything right I wouldn't suggest F2. But its clear to most that despite its excellence, F1 has flaws, that can't be fixed without major changes. You didn't mention that in your missive.
Yes, quite frankly, i don't have the time to do detailed research for every single game that would make a good comparison. And yes, Factorio is not flawless, no game is. It seems to be doing just fine though, much better than many other games.
meems wrote:
Beyond that, almost all mods are content additions written in Lua, while a huge part of the dev team's work is creating rigorous, extremely optimized behind-the-scenes code which makes it possible to create massive factories without slowing the game to a crawl. Pretty much no mods do anything like that.
Well thanks for another random piece of likely correct, but irrelevant information, likely written in haste and ostentation. Quite how it relates to the dev of F2, is something you need to put more thought into.
On the contrary, this is entirely relevant. You want devs to hire mod developers, do you not? Well, presumably the devs want to hire people who have the right experience, so they can do their job. Given that Factorio is partially programmed in c++ and modding takes place in Lua, a mod developer may not necessarily even know the programming language that half of Factorio is written in. Beyond that, adding content is not necessarily similar to the kind of programming done behind-the-scenes, and so a modding developer might be even less qualified.
meems wrote: Doesn't look like we can discuss F2 here. All it does is trigger the kids wanting to play ' attention seeking \ please argue with me' game. Your post counts give it away - very few, yet you come exploding onto this thread with convictions on factorio dev as strong as any religious fanatic. How come you haven't been in heavy discussion for years on the mod forums?
Oh, i'm a kid, then? Well, i took a quick look through your own discussion on the modding forums, and found a few nice quotes

The noob devs are going to have to make the same mistakes all unguided devs do
So lets move onto noob error #2, between noob devs and players.If you were a dev, you'd know instead of parading it around like its your claim to intellectual dev fame.
But whats the good in doing that if the factorio staff can't discern opinion from facts? Are the devs trained to discern facts from opinions? Are their brains wired to naturally respond? My guess is no and no.
As for mods. Looks like that is the only way forward here. I knew we were all head strong young men, some drunk on power of the community and with absolute determination to see that their view was dominant. But here its just about killing the consensus and installing myths, based on nothing except pride. There's no vote, no effort by the forum leaders to analyse the consensus.
After 5 years u still need noobs like me to make a start on the most rudimentary analysis of forum posts ( see above ).

I could go on.

You have been rude and condescending. You have repeatedly insulted the developers, the moderators, and the playerbase itself, while touting your superiority because "you've developed games". Well, show us what games you've worked on and how much more popular than Factorio they are, and then we'll accept that.

And, if you point out that i've also been insulting and rude to you, you'd be absolutely right! As i see it, a person who does not respect others does not deserve respect themselves. I have restrained myself because the people here prefer civility and peaceful discussions, but if we were anywhere else I would have insulted you much more. At length. If these were my forums, i would have insulted you at length, and then banned you. As is, i'll settle for rebutting your arguments and pointing out your hypocrisy.

Finally, you want to leave? Go. We won't miss you. And we do not need your sage advice; Factorio will not sputter and die, seeing as it has already sold 1 million copies and counting.

mnicolella
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by mnicolella »

Wait, shouldn't Factorio2 development be automated by Factorio1?

TruePikachu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by TruePikachu »

mnicolella wrote:Wait, shouldn't Factorio2 development be automated by Factorio1?
Factorio2 will run in a combinator computer, since it allows massive parallelization.

meems
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by meems »

>I have restrained myself because the people here prefer civility and peaceful discussions

Good. One standard you need to reach to have adult discussion is to abide this rule :

- Make a constructive comment with every post.

If you can do that, your posts will always be worth something. You'll have to excuse me if somewhere in your posts there's a constructive comment on how to make F2, because I got zerg rushed by kids looking to get offended and insulted and have pointless arguments. I don't have time go thru every sentence trying to fish out something useful for F2, its not worth my time when 99% of the response material is negative and useless.

I don't want to talk here about F2 dev, its not going to be worth it. But thanks for the time you've put in. Yes I have a short temper in my posts. Don't take it personally.

buggy123
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by buggy123 »

meems wrote:>I have restrained myself because the people here prefer civility and peaceful discussions

Good. One standard you need to reach to have adult discussion is to abide this rule :

- Make a constructive comment with every post.

If you can do that, your posts will always be worth something. You'll have to excuse me if somewhere in your posts there's a constructive comment on how to make F2, because I got zerg rushed by kids looking to get offended and insulted and have pointless arguments. I don't have time go thru every sentence trying to fish out something useful for F2, its not worth my time when 99% of the response material is negative and useless.

I don't want to talk here about F2 dev, its not going to be worth it. But thanks for the time you've put in. Yes I have a short temper in my posts. Don't take it personally.
Okay, this is legitimately annoying me. Did you not see the second post in this thread?
Koub wrote:The true question is : Is Factorio 3 a thing yet ? when is it due ?
Also, it's time to start thinking about Factorio 28.

Wait ... What about letting the devs finish their game first ? :mrgreen:
A moderator essentially said there is no plan for a sequel yet, that devs are not even close to thinking about a sequel. Really, the only thing that would be better is Kovarex or another dev showing up and saying "we're not making a sequel you dingbat."

There. Is. Not. A. Factorio. 2.

There. Will. Probably. Not. Be. A. Factorio. 2.

If you want a Factorio 2, go make it yourself. It'd be fun to watch the devs sue you for copyright violation, because while they're quite open about people building off of their work, they sure as hell wouldn't give someone like you permission to make a sequel.

We, or at the very least I, am not going to help you plan for a game that will never exist, when you cannot even go 3 posts without insulting half the playerbase of said game.

I'll say it again. We have not given you a single constructive comment about how to make Factorio 2. Because. There. Will. Be. No. Factorio. 2. AT BEST, there will be no Factorio 2 for AT LEAST a year. We don't have concrete statements from the devs but it seems very unlikely they'd make one before Factorio is both finished, and has had whatever expansions they want to release. It seems unlikely that they will release a sequel at all. So no, we will not help you plan for a Factorio 2 sequel, we do not want to help you make a Factorio 2 sequel, and the devs will probably not listen to what you come up with in regards to a Factorio 2 sequel ("noob devs" as you put it). You want a sequel? Go make it yourself, so you can show off your elite elder programming skills before you get sued out of your ass.

Mooncat
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Mooncat »

meems wrote:Well, I don't know how moddable the game is with DLCs. I assumed F2 dev should not be under mod restraints, if there are any.
Are modders restrained in what they can make? Or can they add their own source code, getting the game to do anything?

Anyway, if F2 is going to start as a mod, then you are suggesting the F1 devs just pick out the best mod from F1, declare it as F2, then work on it from there.
In that case, its up to the community to start work on F2, the sooner the better. So its up to us to recruit the F2 team. You up for it?

With regard to FFF #74, they failed. Woodmm is right, the space setting should be asteroids, not a space platform.
Asteroids are perfect and indisputably the best setting for F2.
Why did you connect my explanation of DLC with mods?
Even though I'm a modder, not all of my sentences are necessarily related to mods... :?

That FFF was more than 2 years ago. Many things have been changed. So it is useless to judge it.
I just wanted to say the idea of space platforms came from the devs, not me.

Edit:
but now you have said about mod...
It is true that if they will make Factorio 2 rather than DLC, there will be a higher chance that they can improve the moddability of the game, since it will be a completely new product.
E.g. they may be able to let mods use compiled language, just like Cities: Skylines, which uses C#.
But on the other hand, that will require much more time too when compared with making DLC.

FasterJump
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by FasterJump »

This is a sterile discussion

Marza
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Marza »

Yeah, sterile is a pretty appropriate choice to describe this. The OP's question was given a realistic answer with the first few replies; Factorio 2 will emerge when the developers say so and when they have finished with the current project.

That said I'm still going to extract the last comedic gold buried in here.
For meems and for satire, because someone is probably to take it personally.

> all these kids disrespecting the elderly

Perhaps some older fora users like yourself, immersed their whole lives with death and taxes, are not aware that younger generations don't have to mimic every aspect of the previous generation that spawned them.
_IF_ respect (or lack thereof) impeded the ego and self worth of the older generation, role models could remove it.

Young and old, creating awareness for more cross generation collaboration, circa 2014
Note this portrayal of reality doesn't mimic the exact views of today's youth

But thanks for trying to help. With a bit more study, you'll catch be up to a 2017 understanding of the generation that will both inherit the world and decide what care home you go to.

aober93
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aober93 »

quinor wrote:Why would you make "2.0" game if 1.0 isn't in beta yet? :D
v14 is long out of beta

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

aober93 wrote:
quinor wrote:Why would you make "2.0" game if 1.0 isn't in beta yet? :D
v14 is long out of beta
Nope. The hole game is in alpha, 0.14 is declared stable, 0.15 is experimental.

Because of the very good working alphas there could be the impression that the game is finished.

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

aober93
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aober93 »

Factorio is long out of alpha, its been on steam over a year now. 0.15 is defacto released even thou titled "experimental", but soon officially anyway. That its not finished is no excuse, many games are extended while they are alive. Like Overwatch, Smite, Counterstrike, Battlefield, Call of Duty etcetc.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

aober93 wrote:Factorio is long out of alpha, its been on steam over a year now. 0.15 is defacto released even thou titled "experimental", but soon officially anyway. That its not finished is no excuse, many games are extended while they are alive. Like Overwatch, Smite, Counterstrike, Battlefield, Call of Duty etcetc.
alpha.PNG
alpha.PNG (145.79 KiB) Viewed 5702 times

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

buggy123
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by buggy123 »

aober93 wrote:Factorio is long out of alpha, its been on steam over a year now. 0.15 is defacto released even thou titled "experimental", but soon officially anyway. That its not finished is no excuse, many games are extended while they are alive. Like Overwatch, Smite, Counterstrike, Battlefield, Call of Duty etcetc.
Yes, its going the Minecraft route, where alpha means "stable but incomplete game that recieves additional content over time".

But the devs still aren't going to make a sequel until, at the very least, they consider the game finished. If ever.

TruePikachu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by TruePikachu »

Strictly speaking, "alpha" means that it is not feature-complete; this is the case for Factorio, as not all the features that are planned for 1.0 are in the game yet. "Alpha" doesn't say anything about how many features are implemented, how well they work, or how buggy the code is.

Hannu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hannu »

Many people talk about space, but I have not seen many suggestions what would actually change. Would it be the same game with different graphics and names? Trains would be hyperloop transport, assemblers and inserters would look more futuristic but are actually the same. Belts would be magic-magnetic transport lines, resources would have names from scifi or exotic elements etc. That would change something if player should build a platform, but if there were abundant resource to do it, it would be only annoyance for megabase builders.

In my opinion new beginning of practically same game would not be interesting end game. I would prefer to have more things to do with my mature megabase, but it would also be not very reasonable if more complexity is not allowed.

Factorio is such a game that I do not believe that possible sequel would be interesting for me. Original idea was an interesting and complex engineering game for relatively small and specialized group of players who are ready to learn things to play. But for some reason it became much more popular than intended and it have lead to demands than gaming should be simple, fast and straightforward run through predefined milestones to predefined goal. Factorio 2 would be intended to bring tens of millions of profit and it would be much more simple and easy game for big masses.

Valrandir
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Valrandir »

Hi meems,

Consider that, being older alone does not mean knowing more.
It depends of what one has done in his years.

What have you done in your years?
Show us the games you developed.

And start showing respect and humility if you want to be taken more seriously.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

OK so this was in fact a sterile topic.
All that had to be said was said long ago.
Most of it is arguments between people.
Locking it
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Return to “General discussion”