Factorio 2 dev

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
meems
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Factorio 2 dev

Post by meems »

Factorio 2 dev

So Factorio is a success, but what is next?

Is there going to be a Factorio 2?
If so, now is the time to start recruiting the F2 team. F1 has got the world's attention. The devs can now pick the best devs from around the world for F2 dev. Whats the plan? Take the best modders from the existing mod community?

quinor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Factorio 2 dev

Post by quinor »

Why would you make "2.0" game if 1.0 isn't in beta yet? :D

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

The true question is : Is Factorio 3 a thing yet ? when is it due ?
Also, it's time to start thinking about Factorio 28.

Wait ... What about letting the devs finish their game first ? :mrgreen:
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Rage
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Rage »

Factorio 3 confirmed! All hail the mighty Kovarex!

Avezo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Avezo »

There will be no Factorio 2, but instead World of Factoriocraft, with quests, dungeons and raids, you will be obtaining gear to put in your power armor and such stuff.

meems
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by meems »

quinor wrote:Why would you make "2.0" game if 1.0 isn't in beta yet? :D
Its called planning ahead. Have you ever planned something next week, even though you haven't finished today's work, or even started tomorrows?
Its the same thing.

And look at the words

Me : 'recruit team'
You : 'make'

are these 2 terms the same to you?
When you are hungry do you ask your mum " recruit team dinner please? "

masneoquil
Inserter
Inserter

Post by masneoquil »

Koub wrote:The true question is : Is Factorio 3 a thing yet ? when is it due ?
Also, it's time to start thinking about Factorio 28.

Wait ... What about letting the devs finish their game first ? :mrgreen:
Whait!! Factorio 3.... 3?... mmmm HalfLife 3 confirmed!!!

Mooncat
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Mooncat »

How about DLC?

Factorio: To the Space
- space platforms, conquer the other planets, Starbound

meems
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by meems »

What is DLC?
I like the idea of factorio in space

Woodmn
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Woodmn »

meems wrote:What is DLC?
Makes me just think of factorio but you spawn on an asteroid and have to also balance oxygen and later on jet pack fuel and instead of having land fill to get more area to work with you either build platforms off the asteroid or light bridges to nearby asteroids... buy thats just my tangent.
Why are you reading this?

Mooncat
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Mooncat »

meems wrote:What is DLC?
Downloadable contents.
Something like expansion pack. You need the base game in order to play DLC.

It sounds like you haven't ever read FFF #74: https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-74 ;)
(The idea was cancelled, but may be back in the future.)

meems
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by meems »

Well, I don't know how moddable the game is with DLCs. I assumed F2 dev should not be under mod restraints, if there are any.
Are modders restrained in what they can make? Or can they add their own source code, getting the game to do anything?

Anyway, if F2 is going to start as a mod, then you are suggesting the F1 devs just pick out the best mod from F1, declare it as F2, then work on it from there.
In that case, its up to the community to start work on F2, the sooner the better. So its up to us to recruit the F2 team. You up for it?

With regard to FFF #74, they failed. Woodmm is right, the space setting should be asteroids, not a space platform.
Asteroids are perfect and indisputably the best setting for F2.

Valrandir
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Valrandir »

meems wrote:Factorio 2 dev

So Factorio is a success, but what is next?

Is there going to be a Factorio 2?
If so, now is the time to start recruiting the F2 team. F1 has got the world's attention. The devs can now pick the best devs from around the world for F2 dev. Whats the plan? Take the best modders from the existing mod community?
What is this, is this for real? I don't even...

- Factorio is still in beta
- The best dev for Factorio 2, would be the devs who made Factorio 1.
- According to you, are the "devs" from F1 merely "ressources" to be disposed of?
- Modders from the mod community? Don't you have any conception, of, I don't even...

Was this a troll post?

Marza
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Marza »

Whilst planning for the future is wise, there is a difference between planning for the future and creating a pipe dream.
meems wrote: Asteroids are perfect and indisputably the best setting for F2.
I dispute the above opinion; logistics in micro gravity offer less scope for player creativity.

buggy123
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by buggy123 »

meems wrote: Its called planning ahead. Have you ever planned something next week, even though you haven't finished today's work, or even started tomorrows?
Its the same thing.

And look at the words

Me : 'recruit team'
You : 'make'

are these 2 terms the same to you?
When you are hungry do you ask your mum " recruit team dinner please? "
Do employers hire people 2 years before they open their business? No, they don't.

And as it turns out that's not just a metaphor. Wube Software is a company, with fifteen employees and multi-million dollar yearly income.
meems wrote: So Factorio is a success, but what is next?

F1 has got the world's attention. The devs can now pick the best devs from around the world for F2 dev. Whats the plan? Take the best modders from the existing mod community?
This comparison is probably made a lot, but lets look at Minecraft. It grew up a lot like Factorio - a small indie dev team turns out a unique and lovingly made game that becomes wildly popular. Even when it was first getting big, let alone now, Notch could afford to hire pretty much anyone, or start a sequel. But for years of its development, the entire team consisted of less than half a dozen people. They've started to branch out a little bit now, but a large part of this is probably because of their multi-platform focus forcing them to hire people familiar with those architectures.

And even now, when Minecraft is the largest game in the world and Mojang is a multi-billion dollar company, they still have not made a sequel. Minecraft is thoroughly finished, has been for years, and yet they keep adding new content for free, and expanding to alternative consoles and platforms instead of making a sequel. They don't even have PLANS for a sequel.
meems wrote:Anyway, if F2 is going to start as a mod, then you are suggesting the F1 devs just pick out the best mod from F1, declare it as F2, then work on it from there.
In that case, its up to the community to start work on F2, the sooner the better. So its up to us to recruit the F2 team. You up for it?
While the devs do absolutely incorporate mods into the base game sometimes, there are not many mods that are big enough to be considered a expansion or sequel instead of a small addition. Of all the mods that are, none of them are the kind of sequel the devs would want.

Bob's mod, for instance, is one of the largest mods. It focuses on much greater complexity and difficulty, making many parts of the game much more complicated. However, devs prefer to keep things simple and avoid redundancy. Bob's mod is great, but i doubt the devs would ever incorporate Bob's mod into the main game.

Beyond that, almost all mods are content additions written in Lua, while a huge part of the dev team's work is creating rigorous, extremely optimized behind-the-scenes code which makes it possible to create massive factories without slowing the game to a crawl. Pretty much no mods do anything like that.

In summary:

* Factorio is not finished enough for a sequel, and there are no plans for a sequel anyway. Given the progression of similar games, it's entirely possible that there will never, with the devs instead focusing on continuing updates or possibly DLC.

* The dev team is hiring but aren't in a rush to massively expand their team for any sort of project.

* As a multi-million dollar company, they are unlikely to start "recruiting" long before they start "making" a game.

* The factorio team is unlikely to "pick the best devs from around the world", especially given that they are hiring but have not sought out the "best devs"

* No mods are suitable for the dev team to declare them a "Factorio 2", and it seems unlikely that there will be such a mod any time soon.

In summary, every single one of your points is wrong, and you are wrong. There will not be a sequel, there will not be any mass-recruitment of modders. There are there are 0 reasons to believe so, so quite frankly, if you do believe so you are a bellend
Last edited by buggy123 on Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

meems
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by meems »

> logistics in micro gravity offer less scope for player creativity.

Perhaps some younger gamers like yourself, immersed their whole lives in virtual reality games, are not aware that games don't have to mimic every aspect of the reality they are portraying.
_IF_ micro gravity impeded the gameplay of F2, devs could remove it.

Table Tennis on the Magnavox Oddessey from 1972
Note this portrayal of reality doesn't mimic the exact physics of table tennis

But thanks for trying to help. With a bit more study, you'll catch be up to a 1972 understanding of electronic games.

Valrandir
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Valrandir »

meems wrote:>I'm old therefore I know better kiddies
This is a fallacious argument.
When in a hole, stop digging.

Nebelwolfi
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Nebelwolfi »

Maybe with microgravity traintracks could finally go above/under each other without directly intersecting.

buggy123
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by buggy123 »

meems wrote:Perhaps some younger gamers like yourself, immersed their whole lives in virtual reality games, are not aware that games don't have to mimic every aspect of the reality they are portraying.
Okay, i'm not particularly thin-skinned but I find this offensive. Me, and plenty of other people, fully understand that realism-vs-gameplay is a balance, and that adding too much realism can be just as bad or worse than adding too little. More than that, I actually rather like a lot of older games, and I don't find VR games appealing at all. I understand why some people find them appealing, but I don't own a VR system or game, and I probably won't for quite a while.

So yes, "_IF_ micro gravity impeded the gameplay of F2, devs could remove it." Of course they would, if they even focus on space, which is only a possibility, if they make a sequel, which they won't.

Quite frankly, you're insisting on the devs making a sequel, which is clearly not the case, you've disrespected the modding community and the Factorio development team, and you've insulted a large portion of the Factorio playerbase.

I think I can speak for a lot of people when i say: Either drop this argument and start acting more respectfully in the future, or get out.

meems
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by meems »

Hmm, its looking like this forum is no use in discussing dev, its looking like an unregulated place for 15-25yos to satiate their craving for attention by telling other people that they are wrong.

>Do employers hire people 2 years before they open their business? No, they don't.

So we're just messing around now, saying the most retarded thing that comes into your head, then trying to defend it with pigeon logic. A good exercise if you're learning how to argue, and are not able to go out into the real world and experience life.

MineCraft is a good template for success. But why aren't you considering DOTA and DOTA 2? Inconvenient if you are set on opposing everything that anyone says?
If I thought F1 had got everything right I wouldn't suggest F2. But its clear to most that despite its excellence, F1 has flaws, that can't be fixed without major changes. You didn't mention that in your missive.
Beyond that, almost all mods are content additions written in Lua, while a huge part of the dev team's work is creating rigorous, extremely optimized behind-the-scenes code which makes it possible to create massive factories without slowing the game to a crawl. Pretty much no mods do anything like that.
Well thanks for another random piece of likely correct, but irrelevant information, likely written in haste and ostentation. Quite how it relates to the dev of F2, is something you need to put more thought into.

Doesn't look like we can discuss F2 here. All it does is trigger the kids wanting to play ' attention seeking \ please argue with me' game. Your post counts give it away - very few, yet you come exploding onto this thread with convictions on factorio dev as strong as any religious fanatic. How come you haven't been in heavy discussion for years on the mod forums?

Return to “General discussion”