Infinity water

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
British_Petroleum
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Infinity water

Post by British_Petroleum »

i like the idea of water tiles having an "amount" which is gradually refilled, and it can turn into a land tile if it reaches zero. This actually makes water a valuable resource, so as your factory gets bigger you'll need to explore and find more water as you do with other resources

greep
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by greep »

Factorie wrote:
Hellatze wrote:lol the main character have train in the pocket :D
You're telling me you don't carry a train in your pocket on the normal?
Is that a train in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?

erm, anyways, on topic, This sounds like it just wouldn't be worth it. Early game you guzzle water like crazy in steam engines, so they'd have to guarantee a largish body of water in the start area, late game you're going to run into gigantic oceans that make the whole "water as resource" pointless. Not to mention I'm not sure how easy it would be to implement at all. They'd have to have a concept of gigantic oceans, and since they're just making water with perlin noise, means they'd have to do a lot of large calculations every time you uncover a chunk with water on an edge. Not to mention increasing save size since every water tile would need to know what lake it's a part of. I'm sure the wizards could do it optimally, but why bother for something that doesn't add much >.>

vedrit
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vedrit »

greep wrote:
Factorie wrote:
Hellatze wrote:lol the main character have train in the pocket :D
You're telling me you don't carry a train in your pocket on the normal?
Is that a train in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?

erm, anyways, on topic, This sounds like it just wouldn't be worth it. Early game you guzzle water like crazy in steam engines, so they'd have to guarantee a largish body of water in the start area, late game you're going to run into gigantic oceans that make the whole "water as resource" pointless. Not to mention I'm not sure how easy it would be to implement at all. They'd have to have a concept of gigantic oceans, and since they're just making water with perlin noise, means they'd have to do a lot of large calculations every time you uncover a chunk with water on an edge. Not to mention increasing save size since every water tile would need to know what lake it's a part of. I'm sure the wizards could do it optimally, but why bother for something that doesn't add much >.>
Just to note, late-game nuclear reactor setups drink water like fish.
Many, large fish.

Patashu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Patashu »

If vanilla Factorio added the ability to drain bodies of water, it would also make sense to add an ability to have a closed water circuit - condense steam back into water, etc. For the cost of a more complex setup, you can require a smaller (or even 0?) input of new water.

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

FactorMan wrote:2x2 water tile can provide a big base
Provide a big base with what? If you mean concrete and oil, yes that's true. If you mean nuclear power, you're very, very wrong.
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

HurkWurk
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by HurkWurk »

there are mods that add water sources the same as oil, so that you have to pump it out and it gradually goes down on how much is available until you get 10% or so. simply load a game with that mod and set overworld water to either very small patches or simply off.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Additionally, turning water into land would have a whole heap of problems in breaking automation, and this is a game about automation.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Return to “General discussion”